Profile for A. Lockie > Reviews

Content by A. Lockie

A. Lockie "dark angel" (Scotland, UK)

American Horror Story - Season 4: Freakshow [DVD] [2015]
American Horror Story - Season 4: Freakshow [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jessica Lange

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, but maybe a little lost., 19 Dec. 2014
I have to say this is the first AHS series I've watched so I can't compare to any of the others. It's now about 10 episodes in and I have to say I have loved it HOWEVER, I do think after a certain character died in the halloween episode it dramatically changed to a different story and sort of lost it's way. The thing I loved most up to that point was the character development and it was genuinely creepy and a bit disturbing; but now it seems to have turned into a bit of a gore fest and almost like a slasher movie. Don't get me wrong I still love it and am always keen to watch the next episode but in a way it feels kind of like 2 different seasons rolled into one. Still worth watching though and now that I've ordered seasons 1 & 2 it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Deadly Premonition - Director's Cut (PS3)
Deadly Premonition - Director's Cut (PS3)
Offered by Digitalville UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, 18 Aug. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
So I wasn't sure if I should get Deadly Premonition or not as it seemed to receive mixed reviews.

I can happily say I actually really enjoyed this game! It's sort of... Silent Hill meets LA Noire meets the SIMS. I know weird concoction right? But that's exactly what this game is... A little weird.

You play FBI agent Francis York Morgan who enters a quiet little town called Greenvale to investigate the murder of a young girl called Anna who is stumbled upon by twin boys in the woods. As the story progresses you get drawn in to who may be the "Raincoat Killer" as it is believed the killer is copying a folklore tale about a man in a red raincoat who kills women in the town when it rains.

I have to say I did figure out pretty quickly who the main culprit was but not necessarily why they were killing certain people. That said, there's plenty to do and side quests with the townsfolk. I will say it is quite cheesy at times but enjoyably so. It's one of those games you can just relax and play but enjoy the story.

I know there are 2 main points which seemed to receive a lot of negativity - the targeting system and graphics. Frankly the graphics were fine. I don't get why people are slating them. I didn't think "whoa this is going back to the ps1" or it looked overly pixelated. The targeting system well, it can be a little tricky and annoying at times but on the whole it's nothing you don't get used to.

I wouldn't classify this game as a horror either. It's more a thriller with I suppose some horror undertones but nothing which will keep you up at night.

I only gave this 4 stars due to the playability of the game - I've played it once and don't feel compelled to play it again straight away to do the side missions etc. But in saying that, for the price, I would definitely recommend it. It's a good story with some great characters and is easy to play.

Unbearable Lightness of Dragons, The (Light Dragons Novels)
Unbearable Lightness of Dragons, The (Light Dragons Novels)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been better -SPOILERS-, 9 Sept. 2011
I really struggled with which star rating I should give this book because I am really eager to see how the dragon world progresses but there were some major annoyances in this book.

The first being the "I'm a dragon so I don't have to tell you anything". Ok so we know this is typical dragon behaviour and they don't like to explain themselves but it did get a bit beyond a joke in this book. It got to the point that it seemed the only reason baltic wasn't giving things away was just so the plot could be delayed a little so that the book could be bulked out a bit. The second being where the plot is heading is so blatantly obvious you want to slap baltic for apparently being naive and ysolde for not punching him and making him listen to her. And the third, and this kills me to say this, my beloved effrijim. I love jim but he was like a completely different demon in this book. Gone was his cutting jibes and sarcasm (there was a little but not as much in previous books), and instead was this whiny dramatic shadow. Yes it's because he's stuck in human form but it just seemed to be constant over the top outrage that had me wanting to just skip the dialogue.

There is one big massive positive to this book and that is that that Cyrene is absent huzzah! She only makes a brief appearance and I could actually tolerate her. Don't get me wrong, I will get the next installment because I want to see what happens next and how the dragon series is going to move on; but I feel the plot was pretty thin in this one and probably could've been joined with the next installment. It's not a bad book, but I feel the silver and light dragon series have just been no match for the original aisling grey series. However it's a good afternoon read and you will still get engrossed in it.

Strictly Come Dancing - Strictly Fit Box Set: Strictly Come Dancersize / The Workout with Kelly & Flavia [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with karen and erin!, 25 April 2011
I bought this DVD cos I love strictly and wanted something a little different to work out to. I started with Karen and Erin's dancersize DVD which is explained well and although you get a little confused at first you pick it up quite quickly. The always talk you through it and let you know when the steps are going to change.

Tonight I've tried Kelly and Flavia's for the first time and it's nowhere near as good. I love the tango but what the routine requires a high back chair more one you have in a dining room. I don't have a dining room so as a result I don't have a chair with a high enough back and can't do the routine. This really angered me. Kelly is a terrible instructor when she does a routine as she doesn't inform you when steps are changing or what you're doing. It feels like she's learned it for weeks so you're just expected to keep up. The salsa routine is a good routine but the quickstep is hard to follow as kelly fails to talk you through it.

On the whole I am glad I bought them but i'll be sticking to the dancersize DVD with karen and erin as they are far better teachers and it is far more enjoyable.

Legion [DVD] [2010]
Legion [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Paul Bettany
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Legion [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I went to see this movie when it came out and I have to say I'm pretty shocked at how everyone is bad mouthing it. Everyone seems to be taking it so seriously when really I don't think it was intended. Yeah it's a bit random, but so what! That's what I love about it! And I thought it was great that it took on the angels being the 'bad guys' instead of it being a sort of angels vs demons type scenario. Someone said "where is the legion?", Michael tells them that the angels possess humans so they are there. Yeah it's not a big budget movie but hell I thought it was brilliant. And really funny. I mean c'mon who wouldn't love the fact there's a demon granny... In short, give it a try, take it with a pinch of salt and just enjoy the ride; because then you just might see that it is actually quite a stroke of freakin genius.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2010 7:02 AM BST

Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, Book 3)
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, Book 3)
by Kresley Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowen the Scottish Lykae grrr!, 11 Aug. 2008
I've got all the books from the series though I didn't read them in order. This was actually the first one I read and peaked my interest to read more, as although it's a series, the stories stand alone.
After reading the rest of the series this one is definitely my favourite by far. One thing that Kresley Cole which is very impressive is write the story switching between both points of view. You get to know Bowen as the tortured Lykae who believes he lost his true mate years ago and has entered the Hie in order to effectively ressurect her. Then of course there is Mariketa, a 23-year old human witch who hasn't entered immortality yet and isn't aware of the extent of her powers. A major plus for me about this story is that the fated mate is NOT a valkyrie.

The one thing that really bugs me about the series is the fact there always seems to be a valkyrie involved or they're the mate. With the exception of Kaderin the Cold Hearted they're all pretty annoying. And yes I realize the valkyrie are probably important relating to the series but why the hell do all the other women hang about with them!

Sorry, just had to let that bit of steam off. One teeny tiny thing that kind of didn't sit with me was the way Bowen spoke. Being Scottish myself the dialogue didn't always make much sense to me. I think Cole should have taken the chance and had him speaking all Scottish rather than dipping in and out and "doona" is certainly misplaced a couple of times. However, as much as it threw me a little bit it didn't stop me enjoying this book.

I think this probably the only story in the series with a really heartfelt core - Bowen struggling to decipher his feelings as he feels he's betraying his true mate and Mariketa struggling to cope with discovering her own powers while falling for one of the most dangerous creatures in the lore.

If you only buy one book of the Immortals After Dark Series make sure it's this one!

Family Guy - Blue Harvest [DVD]
Family Guy - Blue Harvest [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by wantitcheaper

3.0 out of 5 stars So So Disappointed, 22 Feb. 2008
I am a HUGE family guy fan and have bot ever season and the stewie griffin movie, but boy oh boy were my hopes shattered when i was given blue harvest as a birthday present. I was really looking forward to it and then why i put it in my DVD player it just went from bad to worse. First of all, in the extras is an episode from the season 5 box set, you probably already have it so it seems a bit odd and a bit of a slap in the face to have it on there. So I thought, forgive and forget the movie will be better. I was just settling into it (stewie makes a great darth vader and is by far the funniest thing in this) when it finished. That's right, it's one episode approx. half an hour long. I felt completely conned. The hype made me believe this was going to be at least an hour and a half long, like the stewie movie, but no. Just one episode long. If you're a die hard fan, sure get it, but even this die hard fans heart sank at this rip off. If you're not, stick to the season box sets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2008 10:51 PM BST

Sex and the Single Vampire
Sex and the Single Vampire

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 18 July 2007
I had actually started reading the Dark One's series of books in reverse order, therefore this was the second one I had read and didn't know about the previous background Christian had in "A Girl's Guide to Vampires." But it didn't actually matter which shows how talented Katie is. It was only AFTER reading A Girl's Guide I noticed the threads that had continued into Sex and the Single Vampire.

Our story is told through the eyes of Allie a summoner who is fiercely independent due to domestic violence in a previous relationship. When attempting to find some paranormal activity she stumbles across a somewhat naked man who has cuts all over his body. She later finds this man signing books when her friend has hounded her into getting an autograph from her favourite author who turns out to be Christian Dante.

The story follows them trying to find Christian's fellow Dark One Sebastian, but they soon become tangled up in some nastiness with a Demon Lord. Allie also finds herself taking care off some ghosts although Esme is determined to look after her. Joy, Raphael and Roxy return from A Girl's Guide, and I have to say, the first time I read this Roxy riled me up something terrible, however she doesn't feature in this story as heavily.

I will say however, my favourite Dark One from the series is Christian. I defy any woman who reads this not to want a Christian of their own! Somewhat arrogant and possessive, but also gentle and sweet and guaranteed to warm your very soul. This is also my favourite book of the Dark One series, I bought it around August '06 and have probably read it at least once a month. Quirky, laugh out loud funny, but also a fantastic love story with the hottest Dark One to ever grace the earth.

A great pick-me-up when you're down, and an easy read that is the epitome of entertainment. All Katie fans will love it, and newbies to this author will love it just as much.

Sex, Lies and Vampires (Paranormal Romance)
Sex, Lies and Vampires (Paranormal Romance)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you can't put down, 17 Oct. 2006
I read this in one day as I found myself becoming totally engrossed in a world of Vampires *ahem* sorry Dark Ones, Imps, Mummies and Dark Princes of Hell. It has great little twists and turns, moments of humour, moments of lust, moments of pain and moments of true love. You can't help but feel dear Adrian's pain and urge Nell on to realize her gifts as a charmer to help save him. And what's more, I now find myself wishing for an Adrian of my own (corny I know!)