Profile for Lilian > Reviews

Content by Lilian

Lilian "mother25" (Northern England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Strauss: Die Fledermaus [DVD] [2010]
Strauss: Die Fledermaus [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Thomas Allen
Offered by Naxos Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't like Bats, you'll enjoy this Opera, 26 Jun. 2015
I love this Operetta....it's such fun!
The Glyndebourne is of course a wonderful Company and their performance is excellent, which is what you'd expect :-)
The choice of actors/singers was inspired with just the right amount of irreverence where necessary and lots of laughter throughout.
The subtitles are just right and placed across the bottom of the screen so they don't interfere with the action at all.
I was fortunate enough to see Die Fledermaus in Bath recently, performed by the Carl Rosa Company and enjoyed every minute of it.
This excellent Opera company adds a little of it's own special style of course and the whole performance was wonderful.
I would certainly recommend this DVD to anyone who enjoys Opera and great music, spiced with fun and laughter :-)

Aerolite Super-Lightweight Suitcase Luggage, World Lightest Holiday Carry on Baggage, Large and Small Cabin Travel Bags in 18” 21” 26” 29” 32” Sets (26", Red 9975 (4 Wheel))

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent size and great quality, 31 Dec. 2014
Exactly as described. Arrived quicker that I expected and was great for my few days away.
Would recommend this supplier for speed of delivery, quality items, and perfect packaging.

A Miner's Song
A Miner's Song
Offered by Wales-In-Union

5.0 out of 5 stars A grand piano, a coal mine and a collection of magnificent voices, 28 July 2014
This review is from: A Miner's Song (Audio CD)
Brainchild of Dan and Laura Curtis, A Miner's Song is an amazing collection of well known voices singing an extremely poignant song in aid of the Welsh National Mining Memorial at Senghenydd. Featuring the voices of Mark Llewelyn Evans, Aled Jones, Paul Potts, Wynne Evans, John Owen Jones, Dan and Laura Curtis and many, many more, all overlaid by the voice of the late Richard Burton narrating, this cd should be in everyone's collection. The fact that Dan thought it would be a really good idea to take a grand piano down a pit and do some of the recording there, should tell you how determined he was to make this as authentic-sounding as possible...and it works! There are five additional songs on this cd making it excellent value and all profits go to the Welsh National Mining Memorial, so please don't hesitate to buy it.

Magic of Musical [DVD]
Magic of Musical [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andre Rieu

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Magic of Musical [DVD] (DVD)
I love Andre Rieu, and have many of his dvd's and cd's, so when this one was advertised I ordered two immediately, one for a friend who has a birthday coming up and is also a huge fan.
Sadly this DVD is simply a compilation of songs from previous DVD's and there is nothing new on it!
It is also poorly recorded so that the visual effect is lost as much of it is out of focus.
I am very disappointed to say the least, and I'm afraid I won't be buying any more Andre Rieu DVD's as this is not the first time that the advertising has been misleading as to content.
Please do something new and original Andre, otherwise your fans will stop spending their hard-earned money on your DVD's.

This Guy's In Love
This Guy's In Love

5.0 out of 5 stars This Guy's Amazing, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: This Guy's In Love (MP3 Download)
This is Mark's second album and it is glorious :-)
I got my first copy of this album at the Launch Concert in Mark's hometown Carmarthen last summer, and met Mark there for the first time. The concert was amazing and everyone enjoyed a wonderful evening at The Lyric Theatre :-)
I have since bought the cd again and downloaded it to my tablet as well.....that's how much I love it :-)

The cd is all love songs, but not the usual run-of-the-mill stuff, oh no....Mark has chosen some different songs which have some meaning for him, and of course Mark sings every one beautifully :-)
My favourite is Feels Like Home, but all of the songs are fabulous and sung so perfectly.....which is no surprise as Mark sings everything perfectly :-) His voice is so smooth and yet you know when he's smiling during a song, and the title song is a great example of this :-)
I would recommend that you all buy this album as soon as possible, you will never regret it and I am sure that, like me, you will listen to it so often you will soon know the words to every song :-)
Treat yourself and enjoy this cd :-) xx
Makes a perfect gift too.

Target No. 1 (The Little Girl Lost trilogy Book 3)
Target No. 1 (The Little Girl Lost trilogy Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 30 Sept. 2013
I've read all three of these books and they are brilliant!
I loved them all and couldn't wait to get to the next one :-)
However, there were so many stupid little mistakes that at times it became annoying, and if I'd been reading in paperback my red pen would have been working overtime!!
Silly things like....'The authorities will be all over this like a bad *suit* surely should be *smell*
Amy stared *definitely* should be *defiantly*
Other little things like 'But' when you mean 'bit' 'Tact' when you mean 'Tack' *Rest Bite* instead of *respite*
*Genetic instruction* should be *Genetic construction* *Distain* should be *Disdain*
And so it goes on.....most irritating and so easy to correct. I appreciate a proof reader would cost money, but surely the author could read it through himself, and maybe enlist the help of a good friend to double-check?
Otherwise I am happy to recommend this trilogy because it's a good story and worth persevering with despite all the stupid mistakes.
Sorry Paul, I don't mean to upset you, and I did enjoy the books very much :-)

Let the Light In
Let the Light In

5.0 out of 5 stars New to me, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Let the Light In (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard of Mark before, but a facebook friend introduced me to Mark's music and I was hooked :-)
Mark has a beautiful baritone voice and every track on this cd is superb :-)

Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect :-), 2 Jun. 2013
Love it! Love it! Love it!
What more can I say? It's another huge hit in my home, and I can't wait for the next series of Downton to appear on my TV :-)
Well done Julian Fellowes for this masterpiece series, and thank you so much :-)
Recommended to anyone who enjoys great drama, especially period drama like this :-)

Rieu Royale
Rieu Royale

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb CD from Andre!, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Rieu Royale (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this CD, but I knew I would enjoy it :-)
Andre never fails to produce wonderful music and this is perfect for the occasion, regal, celebratory, exciting and full of joy and happiness :-) Andre's pride in his beloved country as well as his Orchestra and singers is clear throughout this CD. I am a huge fan of Andre and his Orchestra, and hope one day to visit Maastricht and see the summer concert there :-) Until then I will have to be content with my many CD's and DVD's, all of which I enjoy very much :-)
I would recommend this CD to anyone who loves this style of music....and who doesn't ?

Happy Birthday! [DVD]
Happy Birthday! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andre Rieu
Offered by SweetBuzzards

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy! Happy! Happy!, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Happy Birthday! [DVD] (DVD)
I am a big fan of Andre and have a lot of his cd's and dvd's all of which are played regularly :-)
This is a hugely happy, celebratory dvd and you just can't help joining in with it, even if you are not able to dance you will certainly be swaying along. You will also have a huge smile on your face from the beginning to the end and beyond :-)
A wonderful, feel good dvd, that does exactly what it says on the cover....a celebration of a milestone birthday which makes you feel you are at the party with lots of friends.
Well done Andre and the orchestra, another winner!
Happy birthday indeed and definitely recommended :-) xx

Page: 1 | 2 | 3