Profile for Lies Inc. > Reviews

Content by Lies Inc.

Lies Inc. (Lancashire ,England)

The Electric Michelangelo
The Electric Michelangelo
by Sarah Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, 17 Nov. 2014
Loved it , loved it , loved it :-)

It seems a lot of the negative reviews come from people who had to read this book as part of a book club and clearly wouldn't normally read this sort of book .I chose to read this book having been taken in by the blurd on the back cover and so maybe I came to it in a different frame of mind but I loved it from start to finish .
Initially set in Morecambe the author does a fantastic job of creating a complete and believable picture of the town and the collection of characters from the lower rungs of the social ladder who inhabit it and doesn't hold back on describing the squalor and the seedier sides of their existance .
When the main character relocates to America I initially lost some of my enthusiasm for the story because the new location and characters are so different to those in Morecambe that I felt a little lost and disorientated BUT the author is so good at creating believable worlds and situations that I quickly became engrossed in this new chapter of his life .
I finished the book with a heavy heart because ,having become so swept up in the characters and their stories , I knew I was going to miss them when they had gone .

Lighthouse, The (SALT MODERN FICTION)
Lighthouse, The (SALT MODERN FICTION)
by Alison Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull , dull , dull, 16 May 2013
I'm amazed at the number of positive reviews on here as I found this story bland + uninteresting . The writer seemed to revel in the mundanity of her characters but I just found it dull + was never enagaged or interested enough in them to really care what happened .

G9 SMD LED Light Bulb 2.5Watt 250 Lumens Warmwhite Energy saving LED Technology replacement for 40w G9 halogen G9 with Aluminum body
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 9 Feb. 2012
As a previous reveiwers have said this replacement bulb is significantly bigger than a standard G9 bulb BUT it's dimensions are in the product details . Using this I measured my light fittings before ordering + would recommend other potential buyers do the same as it is significantly larger than the bulbs it replaces . The LED light is comparable to the 42 watt bulbs it replaced giving off a similar colour + spread of light , so much so that my girlfriend didn't notice when I changed all 5 bulbs in our dining room .
We were so impressed that we have ordered another 4 to replace the bulbs in our living room .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2012 11:28 PM GMT

Music From The Elder
Music From The Elder

4.0 out of 5 stars wrongly overlooked ?, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Music From The Elder (Audio CD)
This album was a flop when originally released and alienated the majority of Kiss fans BUT I think it's a pretty good album if you ignor the keyboard nonsense of "Fanfair" + "Finale" (producer Bob Ezrin has since admitted that they were a mistake + that he probably wasn't the right person to produce the album ).With those 2 tracks removed what you're left with is an album with some excellent songs , yes there are choirs + orchestral bits in there but I think they add an extra depth to the songs + never detract from the catchy chorus's , thumping base lines + rocking guitar riffs .
It might not be a typical Kiss album but it IS a Kiss album + it still (with the exception of A World Without Heroes) ROCKS !

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity (Dark Horse))
Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity (Dark Horse))
by Joss Whedon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story , poor illustrations, 10 Jan. 2012
As a fan of Firefly + Serentiy I'm always keen to read more stuff about that 'verse .
The Shepherds tale fills in the back story of Shepherd Books life + is a gripping and very satisfing read for any Firefly fan BUT I found the illustrations to be a big let down with the level of detail + quality of the artwork so basic in parts that it actually undermines + distacts you from the story .

The Workhouse
The Workhouse
by Norman Longmate

4.0 out of 5 stars educational + very entertaining, 23 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Workhouse (Paperback)
Before reading this book I had no prior knowledge of the workhouse system or any real interest in it . I was stuck at work with an hour to kill and found this book that someone had left behind .It covers the full history of the Workhouse from it's initial inception in the early 1800's to it's final running down as a National Heath + Welfare system was introduced to replace it in the 1940's . The book covers all the legal + political angles in depth without ever feeling scholarly and the author does a fantastic job of keeping it readable + enjoyable by including many first hand accounts of life in the workhouse that keep you engaged (+ sometimes horrified at the appalling treatment of the inmates !) throughout . Finishing the book I felt I had been educated + entertained which is a pretty good result I think .

The End of Mr Y
The End of Mr Y
by Scarlett Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars an extra twist for those who have read this book, 9 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The End of Mr Y (Paperback)
Lots of other people have reviewed this book so I'm not going to do that . All I will say for all those who have read this book + for those reading it at the moment is that when you have finished it go back and read the first few lines again....a whole new world of possibilities opens up .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 10:21 AM BST

The Secret River
The Secret River
by Sarah Grenville

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read : ), 2 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Secret River (Paperback)
I'm not given to sweeping staments but I can honestly say that this is the most beautiful book I have read in many , many years . It's the story of a man living on the bottom rung of lifes ladder in 19th century London who is driven to crime by necessity and is subsequently deported to Australia where he struggles to create a new life for himself and his family .
The hostile landscape and the ever increasing friction between the new settlers and the indigenuos aboriginal popultion threaten to upset his plans to make a new home .
The story is told with such compassion and humanity that I was swept up into the world of William Thornhill and literally couldn't put the book down . I can picture the Hawkesbury River and Thornhill's Point , I can hear the chanting coming from the aboriginal camp over the hill and a hundred other things as if I had been there and had experienced them personally .
This is a magical book that everyone should read and that will stay with me for a very long time .
Having now read all the books shortlisted for the 2006 Booker prize I can only say the Kate Grenville was robbed :)