Profile for Zontania > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Seven Goblets
The Seven Goblets

2.0 out of 5 stars Tries too hard, 9 May 2016
This review is from: The Seven Goblets (Kindle Edition)
Got this during a free promotion which put it on the top of downloaded books, but I found it very hard read. The language and concept is convoluted and there were glaring errors which put me off reading further. A good editor could have worked on this fairytale and made it flow. I thought the author was trying too hard to write instead of just telling her story. There is no way my child would have enjoyed this being read to them or attempted to read it herself. So I am surprised at the high ratings which I can only assume are loyalty ratings, from friends and family who probably did not even read the book but waxed lyrically about it not to break the author's heart. I have no wish to break the author's spirit. I am only writing this critique hoping she will take note and rework it for the next edition. She has already taken the first step into publishing - now make it a good, solid step forward! :)

The King of Taksim Square
The King of Taksim Square

2.0 out of 5 stars Long-winded and repeatedly going off on a tangent, 9 May 2016
Tried reading it, I truly did. But it is painfully slow and the narrator keeps getting lost in thoughts that do not move the action forward. At first it was quirky but after a while it got irritating. Here are the notes I wrote down as I was reading it: I like author's voice. Humorous style of writing, occasionally acid. The author is putting in little details that give you an insight into his world, as he records the minutest of observations and practices social criticism. However, after a while the book turns long-winded. Not sure if it is trying to depict the narrator's personality or if the author is trying to fill up space. It becomes cumbersome.
It was so cumbersome, in fact, that I had to give up on it.

St Clare's Box Set, 9 Books, RRP £44.91 (The Twins, The O'Sullivan Twins, Summer Term, Second Form at St Clare's, The third Form at St Clare's, Kitty at St Clare's, Claudine at St Clare's, Fifth Fromers at St Clare's, The Sixth Form at St Clare's)
by Enid Blyton

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap printing, 20 Mar. 2016
Books smaller than expected and with small print. Paper colour is greyish and ink is not very bold. The combination makes it harder for my child to read. Generally a cheap product, unlike the set I had when I was younger which was a quality hardback.

Sleeping Embers of an Ordinary Mind
Sleeping Embers of an Ordinary Mind

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and awkwardly written, 28 Nov. 2015
Try hard as I might, I can't get into this book. The present tense used in narration does not click. It is distracting. How can you describe something that happened so many centuries ago in the present tense? This style suits some books but in this one it sounds contrived, forced. Another case of a 5-star reviewed book that does not deliver. I doubt that I will ever finish it. So far we have a painter, his daughter and a sickly wife. A father and his daughter on a trip to China (which reminds the reader more of Japan or Singapore to be honest) where both are imagining catastrophes to feel better after the mother's death. And a virgin-born family who has a lodger who is wanting to have a virgin birth herself and a convenience boyfriend of one of the sisters who is willing to offer him to her sister. Sounds interesting? Thought not!

Minions [DVD]
Minions [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money!, 13 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Minions [DVD] (DVD)
As good as Despicable Me 1 & 2 were, the Minions film is lacking in interest and humour. Three of us sat to watch the pre-release online purchase and barely tolerated it, waiting for a moment of brilliance that never came. Sure the graphics are good but what is a film without a sparkling and exciting plot? The characters were boring, one-dimensional and the entire film felt like a tribute to the 1960s. This was probably the worst thing we have watched after the film with the dancing dog (Pudsey the Dog: The Movie). Don't be fooled by paid reviews and waste your money.

A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery Book 1)
A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying!!!!, 31 Oct. 2015
Bit bored with it now and I am only halfway. I find that the plot is dragging which makes me slow to pick it up and finish it. I normally read books in one sitting but this one is taking me days... The most annoying thing with this book is the author's persistence of putting a title Scene 1, Scene 2 in every chapter. Just in case she does not know, scenes are defined in scripts NOT books. It is highly distracting and hard to ignore. It is like trying to watch a film and having someone keep talking or asking you questions. If Amazon had a channel to complain about the presentation of an e-book, I would definitely complain about this issue. I thought they were skim checking books before publishing them?

Death Descends On Saturn Villa (The Gower Street Detective Series Book 3)
Death Descends On Saturn Villa (The Gower Street Detective Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, annoying narrative style, 31 Oct. 2015
I love this series but this time I felt disappointed for a number of reasons:
1. This is written when the heroine is long dead - big blow on the system. I know everyone dies at some point, but March is a beloved character.
2. It is patchy as if the beginning is really random notes the author had assembled in a notebook that he didn't know what to do with and just threw them in.
3. The author is changing his narrative midway through, making it very difficult to follow the new writing style. I can understand the reasons the author thought this might be appropriate, and I have one thing to say to him: Please don't do it again. It doesn't work!
On the positive side, this book brings out the funny side of the maid who gets her chance to shine.
I doubt the author is even reading his reviews, but in case he does, I have one question: why are you so cruel to March? It reminds me of the way Margaret Mitchell treated Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind.

Sony KD-49X8305C Smart 4K UltraHD 49 inch TV (Android TV, 4K Processor X1, 4K X-Reality Pro) - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Pay for setup! Save yourself some hassle!, 16 Oct. 2015
***Please read the review AND the comments to understand this low rating.***
Not what I expected it to be, despite seeing it at a shop. First of all, I was expecting a proper setup guide telling me what things are included in the box and what to do, step by step. There was a big manual but it is a multi language manual, so the info in it is really minimal... some papers here and there. Did not make much sense. Eventually I figured out how to assemble foot stand. You need a + screwdriver and the 4 included screws. The TV wobbles on its stand even though the foot is screwed in securely. OK... that done, time to do the connections. How hard could that be? Well, very! Because connectors have changed. And because this TV is designed to fit flush against the wall, the connection holes are sideways behind it. Which means you need very thin and nimble fingers to screw things on. Like the satellite cable, for example which has to go in the MAIN hole not the SUB hole so it is bumping onto the antenna hole. Sony rep said this TV can get Freesat but they don't advertise it as such but I would find I'd be getting my favourite channels anyway. He reassured me. Strange how on the first setup there were all the digital channels but not all the Freesat (e.g. children's programmes beyond CBBC and CITV and POP.) And gosh, what are those adult channels showing up?!!! My old TV (an LG) had a handy Guide button which categorised things in Children, Movies, General, Lifestyle - you get the drift. It also had a handy up and down screen button. On this TV, the Guide takes you straight into the mass of programmes and you have to do arrow down to move programmes one by one. You also cannot select a programme to watch later (e.g. in old TV if you wanted to watch Masterchef, you clicked on it and it placed a reminder on it so whatever you were watching you'd get a flash up on your screen asking you whether you wanted to continue watching what you were watching or swap to the channel you had saved.) It is possible I have not figured everything out, yet. But I am finding it so hard to get used to this new style even though the processor seems to be doing things faster than my old TV's. I find the remote to be un-intuitive as you can easily mix the arrow buttons with the activity buttons and spoil what you were doing. The other thing I don't like is how shiny the TV surface is which reflects everything in the room, lights or no lights and I find it quite distracting seeing myself watching TV. Now if you will excuse me, I need to set up some parental controls and try a 4k movie (they said they are available on Netflix). So far, normal TV channels don't look that great, e. g The Simpsons which is an old broadcast and shows only on half of the TV surface... Sigh. Will revert with more comments once I have familiarised myself, but in the meantime, if there is a kindly soul in here who has read this and has any advice for me, I'll be glad to read it. I have to admit I am too old for new technology and I should have paid for setup. PS: Unpacking began at 4 pm and it's now nearly 8 pm and I still haven't done the software upgrade.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2015 12:37 AM BST

Fractured
Fractured

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching story, 7 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
I thought the book would hold no surprises for me and yet there was suspense and the ending caught me unprepared. Prepare the tissues!

LARGE INTERLAYER CAKE CRAFT SAW LEVELLER SLICER TORTS CAKE NEW IN BOX FROM CFU
LARGE INTERLAYER CAKE CRAFT SAW LEVELLER SLICER TORTS CAKE NEW IN BOX FROM CFU
Offered by CFU

2.0 out of 5 stars Must speak Chinese!, 10 Sept. 2015
Great cake leveller apart from a few details:
1. The frame is a water trap - be careful after washing you don't end up with wash water on your cake!
2. The teeth are sharp-non sharp and they tear the cake - I recommend you freeze your cake prior to cutting. When cutting, set them up at 1.5 cm intervals (bottom one will be slightly more to accommodate the pan base and the top one will cut off the dome of the cake.) You'll end up with 3 almost perfectly level rounds. See next comment.
3. As the tooth blades tend to twist at an angle no matter how careful you are to set them up, the cake will not be 100% level (as would be verified by a spirit level.) This is of particular importance to professional bakers. At least with the wire cutter that I used up to now, I got level levels even though I had to repeat the process instead of having all of them cut in one go.
It cuts on one direction only - from far away from the handle towards the handle. So to cut you need to pause, move the blades and start again. If you try to cut with a back and forth action, your cake will tear. This is bizarre. After all you wouldn't expect a serrated knife to cut one direction only!
4. There are no clear instructions. Just a layout with - wait for it! - Chinese words written in English. For example: "liu jiao luo mao". Anyone knows what that is? And instructions of the type "Products after use rinse immediately to avoid the Materials Department at the gap is not easy to clean and get rid of cause problem."
Update 18/09/15: After several unsuccessful attempts producing levels that start off equal but somehow end up skewed, I have downgraded this product. The biggest fault, as I see it, is that you cannot successfully tension the blades because the three butterfly nuts compete with each other as you try to screw them. This would only be good if you are looking for huge layers of say an inch apart. The product is badly designed and therefore not a good investment for serious bakers who want layers under an inch thick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2016 9:34 AM BST