Profile for Julian Bassett > Reviews

Content by Julian Bassett

Julian Bassett (London, UK)

White Knight DW1260WA 12 Place Dishwasher - White
White Knight DW1260WA 12 Place Dishwasher - White

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 29 Nov 2011
This is my third dishwasher. My first was a Hotpoint that bore the proud words "Made in Great Britain". It gave 8 years of good service before needing a new wiring loom, which by then had become unobtainable following the takeover by an Italian firm, Merloni (later restyled as Indesit) which replaced all Hotpoint's parts with its own (the service engineer assured me they were "rubbish"). But I still bought another Hotpoint, a FDW60, which was occasionally faulty and lasted less then 6 years, when it developed a serious electrical problem, melting the plug. Thus ended my relationship with Hotpoint.

I wasn't sure what to get next, when up popped White Knight, makers of my reliable and effective gas tumble dryer, with a new range of rather cheap but good-sounding dishwashers. On the basis of my experience with the dryer I decided to buy one, with no reviews to go on! What's it like? Well, quite good really.

First, it's only just above 200. Yet it has a delayed start (essential for a dishwasher I think), its wash quality is exemplary, and it is very quiet, although the wash cycles are long - 2.5 hours, but with delayed start I can live with that. Unlike my previous one, I can just about place my larger plates in it (as long as there are only a few) with tall wine glasses on the top basket. The top basket is adjustable though, and it has LED indicators for rinse aid and salt levels. The most irritating thing is that on the top basket it has a long rack for saucers, of which I don't use many, but doesn't cater well for small bowls, which we use lots.

Some further niggles: the instruction book is terrible, written in what looks like pidgin English; maybe a translation (but I thought White Knight products were made in the UK?). I'm sure Crosslee plc could have spared some time to tidy it up a bit. The top basket motion is a bit jerky, which can make glasses fall over. I don't like the feel of the squared-off door handle, and I would have preferred green LEDs rather than orange. But broadly I'm pleased so far, although of course the real test is what it will be like 5 years from now. If it gives the same level of service as my dryer I'll be very happy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 7:16 PM BST

One For All SV9151 Amplified 45dB UHF/VHF/FM Indoor Antenna
One For All SV9151 Amplified 45dB UHF/VHF/FM Indoor Antenna

1.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it works, partly, 9 May 2009
I can't get all channels with this aerial, and for those I can the reception isn't very robust - often pixellating for no reason. That's on a good day. The next you don't get anything at all, which is irritating. What's the point of buying a product that only has a 50-50 chance of working? All right, there is some risk in buying an indoor aerial because the quality of reception varies, but what's really bad is the terrible instructions for the 9151, consisting of several pages telling you not to eat the product, set fire to it etc in about a dozen languages, then one cryptic diagram on it's use. And the coax cable is ridiculouly short so you can't experiment with the position much. It also has a quaint 1950s feel to it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 4:47 PM GMT

The Complete Bread Machine Book
The Complete Bread Machine Book
by Marjie Lambert

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with my machine either, 15 Feb 2009
As another reviewer said, this book looks great and the recipes are varied and inviting. Unfortunately I also find they just don't seem to work, at least not with my Morphy Richards Compact. After experimenting I've decided the yeast level in the book is based on fresh yeast (the Compact uses dry, which is about half the amount as fresh), and the proportions of flour, sugar and water are different. My Compact uses a lot more flour and more sugar to bake the same 1.5lb loaf, which is odd. I think you have to use the recipes in your breadmaker as a basis, and modify them with the ingredients in the recipe book. I still haven't got the procedure quite right yet though.

Night Mail [1936] [DVD]
Night Mail [1936] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Geoffrey Tandy
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just the Night Mail, 1 Jan 2008
This review is from: Night Mail [1936] [DVD] (DVD)
Night Mail, which contains several other "shorts" as well as the title film, is a short collection of digitally remastered documentaries made in the 1930s and beyond concerning the travelling postal services on our railways. It is enjoyable to watch - you can almost smell the steam - and to listen to as well, with the characteristic clipped tones of documentary commentaries from the era. I wouldn't call it nostalgic as I wasn't born until the late 1950s, but it does make you feel somewhat wistful for a time when we took pride in our services like the railways and the mail, and importance was attached to them. Other shorts in the DVD depict related topics like the electrification of the Southern Railway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2008 2:12 AM GMT

Vulcan 607
Vulcan 607
by Rowland White
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Yarn, 31 May 2007
This review is from: Vulcan 607 (Paperback)
I think the overused word "gripping" is appropriate in the case of Vulcan 607, which describes an RAF mission to put Port Stanley runway out of action during the Falklands war. The book grabbed my attention right from the start, with an initial vignette describing the loss of a Vulcan in mid air. From then the book describes how the Falklands war started and the RAF's wish to show that it could contribute to the war effort beyond just logistical support, and how the vision of an ultra long range bombing mission grew. The story really gets into its stride with later chapters on the planning and execution, with astonishingly clapped-out equipment (stuff being retreived from breakers' yards). The book is very well researched, and has colour plates, a good index and, important this, a glossary. For me, it left a slightly sad feeling: we couldn't pull off an operation like that anymore, and we don't have anything like Vulcans and Victors now, all products of British industy. Any new requirement would probably be PFI'd, designed by a Franco-German consortium and assembled in Spain, this being the way in Britain now. How about a film of the book before Hollywood has the idea?