Profile for A Hole > Reviews

Content by A Hole

A Hole "There is no basis for your nonsense" (England)

The Unhappy Medium
The Unhappy Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll want to finish it, 21 Sept. 2014
That you'll want to finish it is as much had any author has a right to expect from a reader, and in this T.J Brown has succeeded. It's not Tolstoy, it's not a Shakespeare but it is funny, and you'll want to finish it. Have I already said that? Well, I'm drunk writing this so I'll just say it was funny and I wanted to finish it, and did.

AM
AM

3.0 out of 5 stars Listened once, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: AM (MP3 Album)
This is well-written, well-played pop/rock music that should have had a bigger impact on me but it didn't. The production is far too clean and professional, there's no soul in it and the cheeky loveable nature of their early stuff is long gone. That's to be expected of course and shouldn't be a criticism. But it is. If you are new to this band (how?!) then you'll probably like it and want to go back through their earlier material, which you should. Of all the bands that could be called mainstream these days, these guys are still the best and most original. I just wish they'd make an album in a shed somewhere instead of multimillion pound studios which kill their sound.

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect but not quite, 5 Jun. 2014
I wanted to be able to extend the wifi from our router at the front of the house to the new extension at the back, where it previously didn't reach. After much research I bought these. The set up is very easy indeed, especially if you have an iPhone. I recommend plugging things in, pressing buttons and see if it works. If not, do a little research on here or google and you'll get there. It's not hard.

The wifi DOES work, that's the main thing and for that I can recommend these. However, if you leave it on for too long (the extender plug that is) then the internet starts to drop out. have had many a frustrating hour spent turning it on and off again, going back to the main router and turning that on and off again, rebooting the router etc before it works. The solution to this, I have recently found, is to turn it off at night to let it cool down, or whatever it does. It works flawlessly now.

The other gripe for which I have not found a solution is that when you walk from one area to the other you have to manually change wifi connection to TP-Link or main router which is VERY annoying. There must be a way around it but I've tried all the suggestions on the internet, including from TP-Link themselves and I can't do it. Maybe it's just me.

In summary these DO work if you are prepared to work at it, a bit.

Chops
Chops
Offered by encorerecords

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome in places, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Chops (Audio CD)
Not consistent enough to be his best work but it has Costa Rita on it and that's one of my favourite songs ever so you should buy it based on that alone. There is some filler, but there's more killer so you probably need this in your life. When Euros does filler it's weird and wonderful so don't think he just puts rubbish out there, I just mean some songs are not as strong in the melodic majestic way some of the others are. I've said too much, Euros is a legend, this confirms it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 5 Jun. 2014
It does what you wanted it to when you looked for such a thing. It's not a risk, just buy it.

A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain
A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of great, 5 Jun. 2014
I've read stuff on Edward I before and I wasn't expecting much new to be found in this book but I gave ti a go on the recommendation of a friend with similar interests in medieval history. I wasn't disappointed. A riveting, easy, flowing read from start to finish I couldn't wait for the next hour of free time when I could read the next chapter. The style is informative but never dull, you always get the sense that these were real people, which is crucial in enjoyment of history for me.

Buy it. Enjoy it. Learn from it.

Feral: Searching for Enchantment on the Frontiers of Rewilding
Feral: Searching for Enchantment on the Frontiers of Rewilding

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, if not the complete picture, 5 Jun. 2014
I read this as someone who has considered rewilding a lot and has a degree in ecology and was hoping for big, sweeping solutions to the problem of aggressive agriculture and misguided conservationism. I got it, but not as much as I wanted. The personal passages where George demonstrates his knack for a metaphor and his yearning for an actual man-cave are great and inspirational for anyone who spends too much time in front of a computer and never gets their feet wet. It made me want to go coasteering again or build a mud hut in the woods and live off berries and owl pellets or whatever it is wild people do these days. The other part of the book is a depressing catalogue of destruction as Monbiot describes many shocking practices that are wiping out any vestige of wildlife we have, on land and at sea (our treatment of ocean environments is nothing short of disgraceful) and how powerless we are to do anything about it in the face of rich landowners and the well-connected hunting lobbyists. He doesn't provide solutions in enough detail to convince such people to change their ways, but the evidence of the harm being done is irrefutable.

I recommend this book to anyone with a beating heart.

Walbum
Walbum

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pop, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Walbum (MP3 Download)
This is a very nice collection of short, catchy pop songs with a complete lack of pretension that is refreshing these days. No drawn out noodling here, just concise riffs with affecting lyrics. The band seem to use just the basic 4-piece sound of electric guitar, drums, acoustic guitar and bass with the odd organ and percussion thrown in. What is especially lovely about it are the melodies and the harmonies, each song is almost instantly sing-along-able and there are classic pop oohs and harmony lines all over it. It's very short, 10 songs in 20 minutes but it's all the better for it. Who wants an hour long double album in this day and age? Stick this on on your way to work, you won't be disappointed. It doesn't break any new ground, but the ground is does tread is great so why bother? If you need comparisons I'd say you need to get out more, just listen to it.

Bad Pharma: How drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients
Bad Pharma: How drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients
by Ben Goldacre

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT!, 25 Sept. 2012
Let me start by making it clear I haven't read the book. I haven't bought it yet as it only came out today but I'm not one to let stupid facts get in the way of my opinion so here it is:

This book is amazing. It uncovers all the best stuff and Mr Goldfinger writes like an adult human being, and a clever one at that. I really enjoyed his exposé of how politicians claim second-home allowances and eat pandas. People need to know this stuff.
I was slightly disappointed with the lack of football coverage but I've got Sky so it's ok.

Everyone who cares about bus timetables or shortages of school playing fields should buy this book. Educate yourselves!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 7:21 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Clunge magnet, 10 Mar. 2012
Wall to wall woman-action was the primary consequence of wearing this t-shirt, though there were certainly other, more cerebral and spiritual gains to be made in the heady fantasy of life in such garb.

Only the bold shall prosper, tread carefully fellow wonderers.