Profile for billS > Reviews

billS

Plays W.C. Handy
Plays W.C. Handy

5.0 out of 5 stars LP memory now on CD, 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Plays W.C. Handy (Audio CD)
Back in 1960 when I was a student in Glasgow I bought this as an LP on the Philips label and listened endlessly to it (when I should have been better occupied studying) enjoying a festival of jazz that I had never experienced before. I was sure that it was lost forever when the LP finally wore out about 10 years ago. What a discovery with the bonus of the W C Handy interview and the practice sessions tagged on at the end. Now reliving my younger days of jazz in my dotage! Well worth an introduction to anyone who has not experienced true classical jazz...unfortunately everthing else afterwards will be a let-down.

Love... From Both Sides: A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Comedy
Love... From Both Sides: A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Comedy

1.0 out of 5 stars Love from both sides, 19 April 2012
This is nothing more than schoolboy unimaginative filth. It is aimed at the braindad like the author who has concocted out of his limited brainpower rubbish which the sexually depraved wil salivate over. It reads nothing like the sampler. One chapter was enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2012 11:00 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution before buying, 28 Dec. 2011
If you have had a prostate removal forget this item as it will not work. Maybe a small feeling or so but no magic cure so save your money.

Hahnel Combi TF Wireless Remote Control and Wireless Flash Trigger for Nikon SLRs
Offered by Luzern

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon camera/flash remote control, 29 Mar. 2011
This is excellent for firng your camera and/or flash from a tripod removing the shake of manual firing or for self-portraiture. The camera and flash can be fired together remotely and the flash independently, as long as the flash is set to "Manual" mode. Camera and flash will not synchronise if the remote receiver is mounted on the camera with the flash then mounted on the remote. You have to mount the flash as normal on the camera and let the receiver hang alongside the camera on its cable to allow the camera to fire the flash. This preserves the TTL communication between camera and flash. It does not show this in the instructions which, perhaps, should have been thought of as it would possibly be a fairly common use for the unit.His Essential Recordings

Joe's Garage Acts I-III
Joe's Garage Acts I-III
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage", 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Joe's Garage Acts I-III (Audio CD)
What can I say?...maybe it's all in my mind...the music is terrific but, the lyrics also terrific...if you like that sort of thing! I had all three records in the series during the 70's but daren't let my auntie hear it. It was not widely heard on air as it was banned by all but the most daring. If you are not one of the modern super-sensitive PC brigade and can view it as harmless fun-poking, then you can enjoy it. If it's in the privacy of your own home, they can't touch you.

Ez Grabber designed to capture video source from VHS, V8 and Hi8. You can then burn files from your PC DVD, VCD and SVCD after editing

5.0 out of 5 stars MyGica EZ Grabber, 29 Mar. 2011
This is really a good device and I found it produces good conversions from VHS and also from a HD to DVD Video recorder which has given problems with transfer to DVD's. That was the second DVD recorder I have bought and find the recorded disks deteriorate after a while and will not play. The HD recordings enable me to do transfers to the PC, then burn to DVD. I took the video direct from the SCART socket using a phono adapter SCART plug to the EZ Grabber. I then used Adobe Premier Elements to edit and burn to disk. I didn't use the supplied Ulead video studio. If you set up the unit's video according to the instructions of a previous reviewer, you will have no problems. If in doubt, with a video input running on-screen, click on the options..NTSC, PAL etc untill you get a nice stable picture on your PC with JPEG and DVD options first selected. For setting up I would recommend taking video from an off-air source, such as via a Sky box, via a video recorder or, from the second SCART OUTPUT signal of the TV. This gives a good quality source to set up on and, if then, your own viewed videos are poorer quality, it will be nothing to do with the set up but, the quality of your tape source. I am surprised that you can set up all the video options but have no control over the audio input/output but, that has been good so far. Well....apart from the fact that recording via the phono inputs works fine, I find that there is no sound recorded when I use the S-Video input, although the cable works fine on other equipment. Anyone finding problems should spend time deciphering the "English" used in the instructions, as I can assure you that it works really well once you persevere.

A Flamenco Guitar Recital
A Flamenco Guitar Recital

4.0 out of 5 stars Paco Peña..A Flamenco Guitar Recital, 18 Dec. 2010
Having stumbled upon Paco Paña in the 1060's by buying an EP I became a fan of his style of Flamenco. The records are long gone now and I still am unable to find the stunning recordings I had all those years ago. One shortcoming of the Amazon listings is (and I realise that not all details can be shown) not being able to find what is on the CD's unless you have either seen/heard them before. I will, however, continue to search for those tracks of the 60's.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2012 10:16 PM BST

Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Francesco Da Mosto

5.0 out of 5 stars Francesco's Venice, 31 Oct. 2010
An enthralling insight into the history of this fascinating city. Francesco's family have been part of this story for hundreds of years and as the story evolves of intrigue, murders, assasinations, trade, art and much, much more the interest becomes compelling. His casual approach, as he drives around on his boat with the ever lit cigarette in hand, belies a person with a vested interest in the future of his flood-threatened city. The amusing parts of the city's past featuring characters, such as Casanova, to the serious destruction by Napoleon and the final resting place of Venetians provides an enjoyable couple of hours, in total, viewing.Francesco's Italy - Top To Toe [DVD]

Francesco's Italy: Top to Toe [DVD]
Francesco's Italy: Top to Toe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Francesco Da Mosto

5.0 out of 5 stars Francesco's Italy - Top To Toe, 31 Oct. 2010
Francesco's journey together with his casual, but sincere, narrative make this an interesting insight to parts of Italy we wouldn't normally think of visiting. It varies from light-hearted traditional events to bloody self-flagelation as a display of religious devotion. Also a visit to the 6,000 corpses (there were 8,000 until the fire!) in the Catacombs of Palermo I can say, from first-hand experience, brought realism to the series. I had also been to some of the other places featured, like part of the way up Mt Etna but not to the summit as he did. He has a reasonably good voice, I'm not jealous I think it is OK and normal, but my other half comments often (too often) during the series on his sexy voice! If you are not too interested in travelogues, for Francesco's entertainment value alone, this is a thoroughly good DVD.Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]

The Michael Wood BBC Collection : In Search Of The Trojan War / In The Footsteps Of Alexander The Great / In Search Of Shakespeare / In Search Of Myths And Heroes / Conquistadors (5 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars The Michal Wood Collection, 31 Oct. 2010
Having seen the original TV series on the Conquistadors some years ago, I had read the BBC book of the same name. I would recomended the book as it gives a more in-depth knowledge of the conquests. The DVD now provides some background and vistas of the country as a back-up to the story. Whether you would want to read the book or view the DVD first is entirely up to you as I cannot really make a recommendation because it was so long since I saw the TV series.
I would reiterate the above for the other DVD's in the collection having viewed the TV series and read the books for only "In Search of the Trojan War" and "In the Footsteps of Alexander The Great". The remaining items are recommendable also but, I have only viewed the DVD's and not read the relevant books....so far! Michael Wood's enthusiasm, research work and spontaneous knowledge of his subjects is quite enthralling.