ARRAY(0xa587f390)

Profile for P. Boreham > Reviews

Content by P. Boreham

P. Boreham "Paul" (Essex)

Page: 1 | 2
Qu-Chi Acupressure Band - Clinically Proven Relief Hayfever & Allergic Rhinitis
Qu-Chi Acupressure Band - Clinically Proven Relief Hayfever & Allergic Rhinitis
Offered by Healthcare4all Ltd
Price: 12.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Did nothing, 11 July 2013
Hard to review as this will either be 1 star, or 5 stars I would expect.

For me, its a 1 star. It didnt affect my hayfever at all despite giving it a more than ample test period and ensuring the button was always in the right place.

Unfortunately as the idea sounds good, but its nothing more than a gimmick IMO.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (PS3)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (PS3)
Offered by Quickdispatch123
Price: 18.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Best version since '6', 5 Mar 2013
A series getting back to its best. Still a lot of niggling flaws that have plagued the next gen versions, but overall, a decent attempt and a worthy competitior to FIFA (which is also hit and miss)

Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz
Price: 8.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iteration, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 (PS3) (Video Game)
Pretty decent version of Madden - graphics not quite as good as I'd hoped, but gameplay is fun and I really like the Connected Careers idea.

The Revolution Was Televised: The Cops, Crooks, Slingers and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 5 Mar 2013
Really enjoyable read, especially if you like US TV shows and even better if you have seen the shows too as it gives a real good backstory to the makings of. Also got me watching "24" which I had never bothered with before.

Toshiba MK3276GSX 320GB SATA 3GB/s 5400rpm 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive
Toshiba MK3276GSX 320GB SATA 3GB/s 5400rpm 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems!, 5 Mar 2013
Bought for new PS3 slim, seems a little slow, but it doesnt bother me. No other problems - installed fine.

Unity 3 Blueprints - A Practical Guide to Indie Games Development
Unity 3 Blueprints - A Practical Guide to Indie Games Development
by Craig Stevenson
Price: 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written - only for the already technically minded!, 15 July 2012
I'm not sure what the other reviewers are reading!

I come from a fairly long coding background and use PHP extensively every day - plus a fair bit of Javascript, as I co-own a web design company. We decided to branch out into iOS games so have been working in various packages, finally deciding to settle on Unity.

I'm personally going the Javascript route, so this book seemed perfect, but my warning to potential buyers of this book is - if you do not have ANY experience in Javascript then avoid this book. It just doesnt explain anything to any great degree and it assumes a lot of knowledge. My colleague and I agree that this has been written in an informal way - as if 2 guys sat down and chatted through making the project with a dictaphone and then that was turned into a book. Its VERY informal.

"Do this, then do that, then do this..." - no explanations as to what or why you are doing a lot of the things and even to the point that you have to hunt around to find things they dont explain.

Just got to a prime example and after putting this review off, was the final straw and I feel I have to warn people now. So the example is in Chapter 2 page 70 - you have just added a model of a ship to your game and the book says;

"Add a rigidbody component to the ship..."

The book has not mentioned ANYTHING about rigidbody components so far. I dont know what a rigidbody component is from "Adam". There is also no reference to where or how you do this and its never mentioned again (well, least not for the next few pages from what I can see).

This is just one example of the type of thing that happens throughout the book. Its very poorly written, rushed and only purely the fact that I have a decent degree of Javascript knowledge can I muddle through and make the examples work.

Onguard Bulldog D-Lock 90 x140 x 13mm inc Cable
Onguard Bulldog D-Lock 90 x140 x 13mm inc Cable
Offered by BIKINGEAR
Price: 23.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading..., 22 May 2012
Just received this lock that appears to be very solid and well built. Suppose you can never rate how 'good' it is until somebody steals your bike (or not hopefully with this lock on!) however, the offer of "500 Insurance" is very misleading as its actually $500 and limited to the USA only.

I've emailed the UK distributor, so I'll update this review if I hear anything from them.

Tesa Insulating Film for Windows, Transparent 4 x 1.5 Metre (Maximum)
Tesa Insulating Film for Windows, Transparent 4 x 1.5 Metre (Maximum)
Price: 9.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 8 Feb 2012
We live in a flat, converted from a house built in the 1830s and I dont think its had any new windows since! The sash windows letting in lots of cold air and a constant draft. A few people recommended this insulation to me, so I thought for the price may as well try it.

It was really easy to install and the double sided tape is very sticky - impressive. There was enough film in this pack to cover 3 large sash windows (have since bought a second pack to do the remaining 3) and you can tell the difference immediately.

Once shrunk down and secured (using a hair dryer) the plastic film is taught and barely noticeable - allowing the same vision as through a normal window. The draft stopped immediately and whilst I wouldnt say we are now snug (a lack of wall insulation means the walls are icey cold to the touch), this product can only help as there are definitely no cold air streams coming in.

Also, must be said was delivered next day both times - perfect!

Sams Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development in 24 Hours (Sams Teach Yourself...in 24 Hours)
by John Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Losing the will..., 28 Mar 2010
I have to agree with the other reviews that this book is good for the first half, then goes wrong!

I may amend my current 3 star rating with time, but at the moment I cannot go any higher.

Currently, I'm at Chapter 15 and up to around 12-13, I felt I was doing ok. I'm a seasoned programmer (PHP and Javascript) so had a decent handle on what was going on up to a point. There were a few typos, but nothing major and in fact it helped a couple of times to have to really look at the code and fix a problem caused by the writers.

Chapters 14-15 though have totally lost it for me. So many typos (even referring to the wrong program examples currently being worked on).

All the code I've typed in so far refuses to work (and yes, I've checked/double checked and even started afresh) - but the worse thing is the book is no longer explaining what SHOULD happen, so you dont know if the code should do what you think or not. I.e. Part of chapter 15 is to create settings for an app, which I've done by following the code, but they do not update my app when I change them.

You assume it SHOULD do, but it does not explicitly say in the book that when you run the code, the settings should change the app. Really frustrating.

In fact, it making me lose the will to type out any further code from the book as I just do not know if it is worth it.

Its hard to recommend this book... on one hand, it does give you a nice introduction to starting out on the iPhone coding scene, but on the other, its as if the writers gave up quality control half-way through :(

MORE: Onto chapter 16 now and the book has gone a bit farcical. Its just skimming over details and not explaining anything. One of the big problems is that the author is not even telling you where to put the code (i.e. into which file), its just sloppy and lazy and making this such harder work than it needs to be. I'd rather less examples and a more fuller explanation of what is going on, rather than 'type this in and see if it works' type of attitude. Not really learning, its just copying from a book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2011 12:31 PM GMT

Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli (Wii)
Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli (Wii)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good racer, 11 Jan 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Had this about a week now and still loving it.

When I first played it, I felt (like other reviews) that it was unresponsive and the controls were broke etc - but then I learned what I was doing wrong and since then, its been a joy.

Firstly, the controls. I'm using the wheel housing attachment to play this as it feels much more authentic than just tipping the wiimote. I did the tutorial races first when Tiff Needall gives you good 'live' feedback as you drive around.

As I mentioned, when I first tried this, I could hardly complete a lap or stay on the track. I thought the controls were not responding how I wanted. Then I realised I was making 2 mistakes. 1) I was trying (and expecting) my wheel actions to match those of the cockpit view on screen - they dont and 2) I was driving too fast and hence getting understeer.

Once you realise to pretty much ignore the wheel on the cockpit view in the game and play by 'feel' of how much you are physically steering and too ensure you slow down the right amount for corners, then you will realise that the controls are actually spot on.

A few more laps of the test circuit and I had it nailed. I am still playing on the lowest difficulty and am winning races comfortably now, so I will be upping the challenge by turning down some of the assists, but I will definitely leave the 'best line' on as it saves so much frustration in learning the course - a great addition and its always a bonus when racing games have that feature (like Gran Turismo 5 on PS3).

So overall, the controls are great once you get used to them. Also must mention the sound - VERY meaty and really sounds great. The graphics are probably stretching the Wii for this type of game and are certainly functional without being spectacular.

My only gripes so far are the clunky menus that have long loading times between them and I'd like the option to map either brake or accelerate to the 'B' button.

Other than that, I highly recommend this game to all racing fans!

Page: 1 | 2