Profile for Mark Simmons > Reviews

Content by Mark Simmons

Mark Simmons "Boo" (UK)

BoxWave EverTouch Capacitive Stylus - (Newest Technology) Touchscreen iPad 3 Stylus with Ultra Durable FiberMesh Fabric Tip for Apple iPad 3, iPad 2, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S / 4, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, All Touch Screen Tablets (Lunar Blue)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Jan 2011
I wasn't sure whether to get this stylus or the Griffin one so considering my wife has an iPod too I decided to buy both and give my wife the one I didn't use. Frankly there's nothing in it, both styluses* (MS Word says that's correct*) are excellent, working just as good if not better than a finger due to the fact that the stylus leaves nothing behind on the screen and therefore has no tendency to stick after a while like my fingers do once it's been used for some time. I use the stylus more confidently than I do my fingers as the tip surface is soft and smooth and there's no chance of scratching the iPod screen. For app games, particularly shooters for example where you control a ship on the screen, the stylus is way better than a finger as it covers less of the screen, in the case of my fingers at least as the tip is half the width of my index finger. The difference in the pens is minimal, really, aesthetically identical only the boxwave stylus has a small hanging tab, for want of the correct name, on the end which makes it the better choice, only just. Which one did I give to my wife? I still haven't decided. A must have in my opinion!

Crown PlayStation Move Eye Camera Clip (PS3)
Crown PlayStation Move Eye Camera Clip (PS3)
Offered by Modern-Tech
Price: 5.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly Secure, 4 Jan 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought two of these clips, one for my sons 40 inch Samsung lcd and one for my 42inch Philips lcd. In both cases the clip does not fit well at all and totally lacks any grip. With the camera in place the clip has a tendency to fall forward so I have had to resort to strong tape across the back support to stop the camera dropping onto the TV's screen and scratching it. I tried all sorts of combinations of tightening the clip but to no avail. Tilting the camera itself feels a little risky as the 'all plastic' bracket bends too, I'm just hoping it doesn't snap off at some point. If you're willing to accept that you'll need to take extra measures to secure this then I'd give it another star, but as it is, it doesn't do its job particularly well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2011 5:25 PM GMT

Mechanika: How to Create Science Fiction Art
Mechanika: How to Create Science Fiction Art
by Doug Chiang
Price: 11.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 28 Jan 2010
Probably the best Art Tutorial book I own as far as inspiring me to have a go myself which is my main reason for buying books like this. It's very much reliant upon owning Prismacolor Markers to get the most out of the book but it makes a change to not have such a heavy reliance upon digital techniques. Yes the digital art is still covered but it's not stuff that can't be achieved easily with other, more traditional tools too. I really enjoyed looking through this book, the artwork fits my style perfectly and I will most likely try my hand at many of the pieces covered. Highly recommended.

50 Robots to Draw and Paint: Create Fantastic Robot Characters for Comics, Computer Games and Graphic Novels
by Keith Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 28 Jan 2010
I purchased this and similar titles to help me get back into drawing and painting as it's something that's been on the back burner for a long time now. Just how perfect this was for me came as a surprise especially at the price, there's loads to do and it's all presented in logical steps that made me want try my hand at everything in the book. There's all sorts from basic shaped robots to much more complex pieces so it will last quite some time and serve as an excellent reference once I've completed the book. Highly recommended.

The Modeler's Guide to the Tiger Tank: A Complete and Comprehensive Guide to Modeling the Tiger I and Tiger II in 1/35th Scale
by Patrick A. Stansell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 July 2008
I've read lots of books on modelling and Tiger tanks but this one does it all in one package and is such good quality. I now only need this book next to me when modelling a Tiger of any kind, Initial, early, mid, late and even the King Tiger. Superb book that I couldn't do without, does everything that Achtung Panzer 6 does and much more and presented in very a logical sequence too.