Profile for Ken Boyle > Reviews

Gentleman Jim: The Wartime Story of a Founder of the SAS and Special Forces
by Lorna Almonds Windmill
Price: 11.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Jim, 17 Aug 2012
I found this story of the early days of the SAS absorbing and a good read, it was interesting to hear from another participant and to realise how hard it was to convince the doubters that the idea would work. Armies always seem to be behind the times when war breaks out. It is a good story.Ken Boyle.

The Real 'Dad's Army': The War Diaries of Col. Rodney Foster
The Real 'Dad's Army': The War Diaries of Col. Rodney Foster
by Rodney Foster

4.0 out of 5 stars The real Dads army, 13 Feb 2012
I was a schoolboy during the war and the book had some revelance and I was struck by the fact that the residents still living in the area were in daily bombardment for almost the duration of the war whilst in my hometown Clydebank we suffered two nights of very heavy bombing which destoyed most of the schools and churches and damaged all the factories and houses, there were a few air raid warnings from time to time. The book being just a collection of diary enties does become a bit repetetive but and gives an insight into life and how people just got on with it despite the hardship.

Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege, 1941-44
Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege, 1941-44
by Anna Reid
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A different type of war story, 6 Jan 2012
I wanted to read about the story from a citizens point of view as I was aware that much of the history of the siege was written from Stalin`s point of wiew and
I knew that this was likely to be a whole lot of lies,the story is almost completely based on diary accounts of those inhabitants who lived through the long seige.It was facinating to hear how people managed ro survive; it amazes me that even through the worst periods the communists still managed to deal with so called enmies of the people.
Ifound it amazing that the mighty german army got bogged down on the perimeter of the city even though that the russian army was so disorganised.

The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Book 6
The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Book 6
by Jean M. Auel
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The Land of Painted Caves, 10 May 2011
I first started reading this series about twenty years ago and I have read every one in the series. I have waited patiently for this last one and have devoured it in a couple of weeks.As usual it made facinating reading and as with all her books in this series Jean has worked in all the detail obtained by the archaologists. I did find that the cave visits became a trifle repetitive and I found myself skipping some detail,however it was still avery good read.
Ken Boyle