Profile for Dave Dunkley > Reviews

Content by Dave Dunkley

Dave Dunkley

Philip's Glow-in-the-Dark Planisphere (Latitude 51.5 North): For use in Britain and Ireland, Northern Europe, Northern USA and Canada
by Philip's Imprint
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Glowing review, 7 Feb 2014
It might sound gimmicky but being able to have the stars standing out is really useful, without having to have a light on.

TP-Link TL-WPA281 V3 AV200 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender with 2 Ethernet Ports (Wi-Fi Clone, No Configuration Required)
Price: 29.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless, 7 Feb 2014
Unpacked it, read the instructions, installed it in 8 minutes. I have a TPLink router and power line adapters, but as my router is behind done hefty walls I wanted a more localised wiFi hotspot. I plugged the unit into a socket near to the power line and pressed the pair buttons to pair it. I then pressed the clone button. Unfortunately, the only way I could then test that is was working OK was to log into my router and disable wireless to check I could still get wireless via the extender. I then switched off the extender to confirm that it was the only source of WiFi. It was. Switched router wireless back on and moved extender to the final position. Am now thinking that I really don't need my router to have wireless on at all, with antennas poking out. I can have the router near the BT point stashed away and then just distribute my WiFi around the house via Powerline and also use the Ethernet port to connect Sky/PVR/PC. I might have been lucky but it was seamless and quick setting this up.

TeckNet MT-213 Defender CASE Iphone 5
TeckNet MT-213 Defender CASE Iphone 5
Offered by BlueByte Ltd
Price: 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much perfect, 15 Dec 2013
My phone has a hard life and I wanted to protect my new IPhone 5. The phone fits into the gel cover which is then fitted into the hard shell, which contains the kick stand. You can then fit the whole thing into the belt clip. Belt clip has really good design to stop it pulling off belt. I have also attached magnet plates to the rear of the hard stand, as I mount the phone via magnet in my car. Have dropped it a few times and it is perfect. My only adverse comment is not about the case, but the effect of it - my current headphone plug doesn't fit easily as it is too large to fit in the space available because of the surrounding protection. I will get another one. The depth of the gel case when standing vertical also means that it no longer collects pocket fluff in the charging socket, so there are advantages. For the price and quality this is unbeatable.

TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited
Price: 20.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy As, 8 Dec 2012
Freaked out when the box arrived with.a big 'For Cable' sticker on it. Calmed down and RTFM. Plugged device into a hub in my living room which connects back to my ADSL router. Connected Power from an adjacent USB hub. Browsed for the new WIFI connection on my IPad. Got password from device. Put password into IPad. 4 mins - working. Back to the couch. Well done TP link (again).

TP-Link TL-PS310U USB 2.0 Single Port MFP and Storage Server
TP-Link TL-PS310U USB 2.0 Single Port MFP and Storage Server
Price: 25.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated Software, 27 Nov 2010
Bought the TL-PS310U to connect a HP2180 printer and two Windows PCs: One a Win7 Wireless Laptop and one a WinXP Wired desktop. Connected the Print Server to my wired network and was picked up by my router and given a new network IP Address(although the software allows you to do this manually). Installed enclosed software on the laptop and PC with no isses. Upgraded firmware now has option to automatically disconnect PC from Print Server, freeing up device for use by other PC. This has worked OK whilst testing the install. Seems to be a good product and when I replace the printer with a wireless one, this server can then be used with up to 4 USB devices drives/cameras etc, so the investment isn't wasted, Although I believe that the device/s can still only be used by one user at a time, not concurrently, so my drives would not be true NAS, But would do for backup.

TomTom GO 530T Satellite Navigation System
TomTom GO 530T Satellite Navigation System

4.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Go 530T, 4 Feb 2009
Great device, but one of the features has been removed when you connect to TomTom home and update the device. The ability to send turn commands to the car radio via FM has been removed. It is still able to use the mp3 player to the radio but the radio still mutes when the commands were due to play, so you get interupted music, there is a workround which involves turning off commands. TomTom support say this feature has been removed because it is illegal to transmit nothing (the gaps between commands)via FM. Apart from that,handsfree and texts works well including reading out the sms aloud although you will have to educate texters not to use text shorthand as it reads it out as individual letters. Paired OK with a Sony Ericcson k850i via bluetooth and all the other functions are standard TomTom so IQ routes plans differing routes dependant on time of day. The TMC lead plugs into the bottom of the device, so this slightly precludes having the device anywhere other than on the dashboard. My only annoyance is that the synthetic voice says road numbers in full rather than how a human pairs them up so that the B1228 (B Twelve Twenty Eight) is the B One Thousand Two Hundred and Twenty Eight. Small gripe and I just do without and listen to my daughter telling me which way to turn having used her voice to customise the directions.