Profile for Mista R O'Regan > Reviews

Content by Mista R O'Regan

Mista R O'Regan (Your mum)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
Replay (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
by Ken Grimwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable & thought provoking book, 19 July 2016
Firstly, I give 4 stars, not because there is anything wrong with it, I really enjoyed it.. it is rare I give 5* for a book..but it was very close.

I don't usually read fiction - though read this because I had/still have(!) some life choices to make, someone on YouTube recommended..
It was odd reading this book about extended life, knowing that the actually author passed away years ago - at least he contributed something of IMHO significance by penning this story.

I read it over 2 weeks, it caused me to think much and took me to another world and I questioned what I'd do if I was in this situation.. this in itself I feel gave me more perspective in my own life and my direction & purpose..
[e.g. 'what would I do , if I woke up at 17 years old again?' actually, what I realised is, it totally depends on what life direction you chose.. being younger would be great.. but you still can't do everything, you still have limited time.. eg is family important, or a career making films (like one of Jeff's fellow friends)]

Book was really enjoyable, I won't say 'I couldn't put it down' but I definitely looked forward to reading more. I'm not one who feels I need 'escapism' when reading - though I enjoyed this book giving me this..
Some interesting points towards to end, a young girl said to Jeff when deciding a decision to make "It's ok I have all the time in the world"
and that seemed the opposite of what Jeff had discovered - despite having a significantly extended time , time was still very precious..

Anyway - enough - if this book appeals to you enough to read this review to the end - it's probably a good indication you should read this book..

P.s. if this review was useful , let me know and I can leave more reviews

Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit
Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read - possibly overrated!, 31 Dec. 2015
Hi guys, I listened to this on audiobook,

I just finished and was surprised how short it was (3 hours vs the usual 10+).
But actually, it didn't need to be longer, it got to the point quickly..

Lots of food for thought - was not totally convinced with all the logic.
e.g. did the 'leavers' really leave the planet to the Gods, or just they were uneducated didn't yet know any better.
E.g. anthropologists tell us, when early man's (leavers) crops failed, they'd offer sacrifices to Gods. I'd hardly call their 'leaver' view on the world, ancient wisdom that should be obeyed in modern times.

I also questioned if the 'rules' of nature are really just rules at all, and simply observations made in retrospect to fit in with the story.

Either way, worth a read, and some interesting concepts on how we treat our world today. Possible some truth in there also and story moves along at a nice pace.

Thank-you for reading,

P.s. I have some similar books I could write a review for, just it takes time, please let me know if this is helpful to you

The Winner Effect: How Power Affects Your Brain
The Winner Effect: How Power Affects Your Brain

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read - some interesting perspectives I've never considered before.., 6 Dec. 2015
Hey how are you doing?

I 'read' this book on Audio book (whilst walking around Kuala Lumpar).

Initially I found the book engaging but quickly got suspicious with single real life examples given and drawing general conclusions from them.
E.g. Bill Clinton and Tony Blair used to be great bummchums and then Tony developed more p-power, developed effects of a 'winner' and that effected their relationship.. etc etc
I felt there were not enough statistics presented to back up individual cases, (to be fair, author at times acknowledges this).

However, I feel overall many of conclusions he made, were sound and seem to confirm my own real life experiences in life. e.g. his theories my experiences in social groups with guys at school and also with women etc.

In Summary:
Author's theories often made good sense - and shaped the way I view life as a human being a little.
Overall, I reckon this one was worth a read... at worse case book provided some very interesting food for thought!

Adios mi Amigos
Ric

P.s. it takes some time writing a review, I have many more I can leave, but only if it's gonna help someone - let me know if you read it. eg like or comment. Thanks

DSTE NP-FV100 Li-ion Battery for Sony DCR-SR15, SR21, SR68, SR88, SX15, SX21, SX44, SX45, SX63, SX65, SX83, SX85, HDR-CX105, CX110, CX115, CX130, CX150, CX155, CX160, CX190, CX200, CX210, CX220, CX230, CX260V, CX290, CX300, CX305, CX350V, CX360V, CX380, CX430V, CX520V, CX550V, CX560V, CX580V, CX700V, CX760V, HC9, PJ10, PJ30V, PJ50, PJ200, PJ230, PJ260V, PJ380, PJ430V, PJ580V, PJ650V, PJ710V, PJ760V, PJ790V, TD10, TD20V, TD30V, XR150, XR155, XR160, XR260V, XR350V, XR550V, HXR-NX3D1U, NX30U, NX70U, NEX-VG10, VG30, VG30H, VG900
Offered by QiaoJL

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, good value for money.. SO FAR EVERYTHING OK..!, 1 Nov. 2015
Hi guys,

All I can say is, I've used battery for a few months, battery works well, has not leaked or broken and still holds charge.

I'm always weary about buying unofficial parts especially batteries, (as batteries can be dangerous if not made properly.)

But my experience has been good. If this battery works well for another year or two I will upgrade to 5 star.
Stay tuned..!

P.s. Please let me know if this review is helpful as I can leave many others for you - they just take time to write!

Samsonite Cosmolite FL Suitcase Spinner 86cm 33inch Extra Large Green
Samsonite Cosmolite FL Suitcase Spinner 86cm 33inch Extra Large Green

3.0 out of 5 stars The good news: + I was able to fit in ..., 1 Nov. 2015
I bought this as I was travelling for some months & in addition to clothes, I had computer equipment.

The good news:
+ I was able to fit in all my stuff, including the desktop computer; this was the biggest suitcase I could find!
+ 1x whole cute Danish girl could also fit in - photo proof attached, (useful for smuggling an international girlfriends through customs)
+ the suitcase is very light, meaning I could stay under my airport allowance

The bad news:
- The suitcase zip broke quite quickly - to be fair I did use extensively for couple months, constantly moving , but even still, a suitcase at this price, Id expect to last much more (you can see in photo how zip has damaged)
- On of the suitcase wheels kept coming off..

The good news (again):
+ I took to a Samsonite repair place in Singapore, and they weren't able to repair the zip as the size was too big for what they had in stock, but they offered me a slightly smaller suitcase as an exchange. I refused a smaller size but was grateful for offer. They also replaced two wheels very quickly and oiled the broken zip which helped a small bit.

Overall, potentially a great suitcase, and nice company, but suitcase was not reliable. Next journey I make Im gonna have to wrap it incase the zip pops. I don't have faith in suitcase to secure my stuff.
I've filed a return with Amazon and will return as soon as Im in UK. Unfortunately my postage will be high as company is in Germany and not covered for free collection.

P.s. hope this review helps, please let me know if it is useful for you as I can leave many other reviews on various items. Thanks
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2016 9:37 AM BST

The Zurich Axioms: The rules of risk and reward used by generations of Swiss bankers
by Max Gunther

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't totally agree with all points, but over all ideas seemed solid.., 1 Nov. 2015
I read this book on recommendation by Larry Williams,

(I managed to find a free pdf copy online with a broker website.)

Overall, book is well condensed, enjoyable to read, and clear to understand.

It threw light on various topics that interested me and I found helpful; e.g. role of intuition in investing, and when to use and when to avoid.
Also book's discussion on long range planning and not knowing the future, I found to be particularly useful for me personally.

The book gave lots of real world examples to illustrate the point, everyone loves to hear a story, so this story telling made book enjoyable to read, a nice change from the usual dry boring investment style.

I'm noted this book down as worth a re-read in future.

P.s.These book reviews take time, so let me know if you find this review useful because I can leave many more reviews on similar books - but I only want to do if my opinion is helpful for you and gives you some benefit, thanks!

Mastery (Plume)
Mastery (Plume)
by George Leonard

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read.. practical & not too much airy-fairy talk.., 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Mastery (Plume) (Paperback)
I read this book after a recommendation from a guy on YouTube.

Book has some useful insights on realities of getting really good at something.
It talks in general term which can be applied to any subject and reinforces with concrete examples; eg referring to sports or music or physics.. and I found easy to relate to my own specific interests.

Book is relatively short, to the point and I found I had faith in the author that he knew what he was on about.
The last chapter I found a bit waffly and less useful eg breathing and 'centering' exercises, but the majority of the book was an interesting and useful read, scattered with a few gems.

For me the most useful points were to get an idea of what I needed to do to progress more on my interests; book emphasised regular consistent practice, also explained that being on a 'plateau' for significant period of time, where you feel you are not progressing, is normal and natural and something to embrace rather than get beat up about.

Overall, if you are interested in getting really good at something, beyond average, I think you will find this short book a helpful guide on your journey!

Best
Rich

P.s. let me know if you found this comment useful, I have lots more reviews I can leave on similar books, just takes a bit of time to type but willing to do if helpful!

Way of the Superior Man
Way of the Superior Man
by David Deida

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read; can ignore the bullsht, 19 Sept. 2015
I read this after recommendation from Owen Taylor from RSD.

The first half of book I found really helpful. It clarified my own ideas and thoughts I've had over the last 10 years.
It also helped explain frustrations in past relationships.

In particular, sometimes I felt bad when in a relationship, that the relationship wasn't my top priority - although I may have chose to be with a girl, and cared about her very much, I didn't *need* to be in relationship.. the most important thing in my life was my own objectives.
Book explains my thoughts are very natural/typical for a guy!

Another issue is, although I want to have a family of my own, I know if I did, I will care about my children very much, but I felt bad that family probably wouldn't be my top priority.. I though maybe I'm an insensitive bast@rd. Though again the book explains this.

Of also great use, was the new perspective I had on women and why they can say dumb illogical things.
Girlfriend emotional: 'You never spend anytime with me anymore!! :( '
Me logically proving her wrong: 'What?! We went on holiday to Barcelona 3 weeks ago, we had 7 days together, I also took you on a surprise picnic on Monday AND next weekend we are going to Bath for a trip away together.. what are ya talking about woman?!!"
Book explained it was more how they were feeling in the moment, not the logical facts of the situation.. In that moment of time, the girl was probably feeling unloved and just need a lil cuddle... Author's model on girls & guys helped to explain a lot of phenomena I've experienced.

The 2nd half off the book got a bit wishy-washy, and became more pseudo-science-theory with 'energy of the universe' type of shipt which I found hard accepting it all and lost a bit of faith in author. Book picked up at end..

But overall, I'm really glad I read and I would recommend to read for healthy relationship with opposite sex. Girl or guy. Homos may find useful too and if you are in a relationship I'd encourage you guys to take a look at, as book explains more about sexual 'energy' rather than specific sexual orientation.

Thanks for reading, and let me know if you found useful as it takes time to write this , but if helpful to someone, I can leave many more reviews on other similar books.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2016 1:18 PM GMT

Mastery (The Robert Greene Collection)
Mastery (The Robert Greene Collection)
by Robert Greene

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't agree with all points but definitely Inspirational.., 16 Jun. 2015
Hi Guys,

I listen to this in audiobook format after recommendation from a friend.

** Good points **
Personally I found it very useful because I often have creative ideas/instincts/behaviours. I previously thought I was a bit 'off the wall' and sometimes different from others in some ways, this book talks about processes of creativity deeply. Some of which are simple and I do automatically, E.g. when you go for a walk you often get your great ideas, answers to a problem. Others were more deep, e.g. following your intuition/instinct is very often the path you should be following and he gave nice examples to illustrate.

** Bad points **
A minor annoyance, was the author often used the same examples up repeatedly throughout the book again and reintroduced the person.
eg Sally was a metal work artist, nobody believed she could make heavy metal statues because she was a girl.. Author will explain a point, then a few chapters later reintroduce Sally and half repeat exactly the same thing in different words, but then add another new idea.
I get what he was trying to do, but found it slightly annoying and got confused initially thinking 'hadn't he already talked about this person?'

Also, some of his ideas I didn't totally agree with, e.g. talking about how Google beat Yahoo and dominated search engines, and explained why, because e.g. they were doing x,y and z differently. But I felt that this 'backtracking is easy to do in hindsight. Actually , sometimes a few different twists of fate and it could have been Yahoo or someone else on top, sometimes the thing that made one company more successful over another was not the things the author emphasised but could easily have been a completely different set of circumstance.

** Overall **
Overall I enjoyed this book (I listened to on audio) and found it inspiring because it shed a light on my own creative processes that I did automatically without thinking. It also made me realise the importance of working really hard on one area to master it.

Hope that helps guys, let me know if it did and I can write more.

Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever
Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever
by Ray Kurzweil

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but inspirational and worth a read.., 16 Jun. 2015
I read this book because, probably like most of you, I'd like to live healthier for longer/indefinite.

** Good points **
Ray provides some very valuable ideas that challenge way we think, e.g. just because we automatically associate the two together there is a difference between biological age and chronological age, the two don't necessarily have to go hand in hand.

I found the book inspirational because of presentation of genuine facts of how rapidly technology is advancing exponentially. For example, in 100,000 years of human civilisation, 230 years ago there was not even a steam engine..now we have machines that can fly and take man to space..! In the 1960's a computer was the size of a room, cost 100 million dollars.. half a decade later we have computers 100,000 times more powerful in our pockets..! Imagine the advancements in the next 30 years with these super powerful computers! Ray points out these achievements will not just be in electronics/computers.. but now in nanotechnology and medicine.. with profound results.

He mentions there are 9 processes of ageing and talks how research is being done that reverses these processes, and how we can slow some of these natural effects down until technology solves the issues.

** Less good points **
I think couple of his facts were not up-to-date, e.g. aspartamine, the artificial food sweeter, has been declared 'safe' with recent studies and there is no evidence found for causing various diseases it has been accused of. However, to be fair, Ray did say 'Aspartamine **may** cause these diseases so better to avoid' which I think was a sensible precaution.

There was a section on exercise positions/movements which I think was a waste of space & a dry read.. you can't describe exercises in words.. would have been much better to just recommends joining a yoga class or giving resources where to get training.. then again, exercise is something I'm very familiar with so perhaps this section was useful for those who are not.

** Overall **
Overall, inspirational book to read containing practical advice. Definite worth a read.. and I really hope his predictions are correct :)

P.s. let me know if this review was helpful for you and I can leave some more. Cheers guys

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7