Profile for Dan M > Reviews

Dan M (England)

Babel
Babel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but..., 11 April 2013
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
'Babel' really is an album that feels far too similar to their debut. Just for the record, I loved 'Sigh No More', and so you might say that anything like it should be celebrated. But that's the problem - It's not just LIKE Sigh No More, it IS Sigh No More! That's not to say it's a bad album, it's just a bit overhyped and too similar to Sigh No More. But if you liked Sigh No More and are itching for more of the same, this is your album. If you're looking for something a little different however, you might want to hold off until they release their third album (Or not, as Marcus Mumford has expressed interest in rapping!)

In Love
In Love

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Debut!, 11 April 2013
This review is from: In Love (Audio CD)
This was one of my more anticipated releases of the year after their excellent "EP Delicious",but I was worried they wouldn't live up to expectations. Thankfully they had delivered a brilliant album packed with great tunes,so you can believe the hype! Currently my favorite album of 2013!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Tablet... But get it elsewhere., 27 Jan 2013
As a product, the Nexus 7 is superb. It's fast, looks good, has a fantastic screen and a brilliant set of features. I wholeheartedly recommend you get it, even if you're used to Apple products (I had previously never owned an Android device but have now been converted!).

BUT don't get it from here! This price is ridiculous and doesn't fit with what others are selling it for. I got my 32gb tablet from the Carphone Warehouse for about £175, which knocks off about a quarter of Amazon's price! So overall, get this, just not here!

Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by ECM DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Best Game of 2012, 21 Jan 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Far Cry 3 is best summed up by a moment I experienced while playing in free roam. I'd seen a couple of enemy trucks parked along the road I wanted to get through, and decided the best way to get rid of them would be to sneak up into the jungle on the side of the road and hit them from the side. So I snuck up onto the side of the road, but as I prepared to start shooting, I was spotted. Gunfire flew at me as I desperately tried to turn the tide. Unfortunately the commotion attracted the attention of more of the enemy's buddies, and I was soon cowering behind a jeep, running low on ammo with the battle seeming lost. But then, just when I seemed doomed... a tiger lolloped in and decided to join my revolution by snacking on some pirate pannini, while I sprinted away for my life. This completely unscripted, yet pulse-poundingly exciting and oddly cathartic moment sums up the essence of Far Cry 3 for me. It is a brilliant experience with an excellent and memorable setting, a gripping storyline with interesting characters and some real stand out moments (A horrific torture scene late in the game stands out to me) and weighty and fun shooting mechanics. The story missions may be a bit more linear and scripted than the free roaming loveliness, but they still give you far more choice than, say, Call of Duty and serve the purpose of telling a good plot with well drawn characters. But overall, the gameplay is extremely solid, and even after you've finished the main story, there's still side quests, races, hunting missions, assassinations, outposts to capture, radio towers to climb and just having general fun - this isn't a game you just blow through in a day and then leave.

All in all, it's the best game of 2012, and probably one of the best games on the Xbox 360!

Suck It And See
Suck It And See
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Album Yet, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Suck It And See (Audio CD)
Having followed the Arctic Monkeys since 'Whatever People Say I am...' and loved the music and Alex Turner's excellent singing and songwriting, I was very much looking forward to this album. And although I had loved their first two fast and furious albums, I had actually thought that Humbug was a good step for them, rather than just churning out a stale rehash of their first album year after year, but I was ready for something new. And I was not disappointed. 'Suck It and See' is a fantastic album with a nuanced and varied variety of music, from the faster and 'dirtier' side of the album with 'Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair' and 'Brick by Brick', to ballads and lighter, less 'rocky' tunes such as 'Love is a Lazerquest', 'That's Where You're Wrong' and 'Reckless Serenade'. It's heartening to see a band evolve in ways which take them in new and interesting directions, with Turner's songwriting at it's absolute peak here, and more inventive tunes than ever.

I wouldn't call it a return to form, as all of their albums have been brilliant, but it's an elevation above what was already a magnificent musical pedigree!