Profile for S E Lock > Reviews

Content by S E Lock

S E Lock

Wars of the Roses: Trinity (The Wars of the Roses series)
Wars of the Roses: Trinity (The Wars of the Roses series)
by Conn Iggulden

1.0 out of 5 stars then scowling and making animal like grunts. We know now that Richard had idiopathic ..., 8 Nov. 2014
Sorry - was really looking forward to this - despite the slightly sinister depiction of Richard Duke of York in Stormbird. However - he appears to have had a character change in Trinity - and this gives a much more sympathetic portrayal. I thought the battle scenes were particularly well handled - apart from Wakefield - which seemed rushed - as if he just needed to get the Duke if York dead to get to the end of the book.
But what spoiled it for me - was the depiction of an 18 month old Richard being stretched out to straighten his spine - and constantly crying in pain , then scowling and making animal like grunts. We know now that Richard had idiopathic scoliosis which came on during puberty. This would not have been present when he was 18 months old. It then has him with his brother Edmund at the sack of Ludlow - where - my history tells me - Edmund had fled to Ireland with his father.
I know this is fiction - and one can be a bit flexible with the facts - but to twist something this far makes me dread book three. I take it we are going for full blown, murdering tyrant here then in respect of Richard - unless - of course - he suffers a complete change of character before the next book ( like his father does ) but then they'd would have to give him spine surgery as well so that he could actually get the proper onset of scoliosis at the right time.
Disappointed!

Cold Case Reopened: The Princes in the Tower
Cold Case Reopened: The Princes in the Tower

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 26 Feb. 2014
The approach to this book was very much like the fictionalised account in The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. The author takes an unbiased and forensic approach to the examination of all the known suspects, some not so well known - along with the evidence for and against each party. The disappearance of the Princes is a complex area of English history, and so many of the accounts we have on are tainted by bias or prejudice. It was refreshing to see this particular approach taken, and even more satisfactory for me in that it came to exactly the same conclusion that my own studies did. I will not reveal the outcome here - just read the book. It is a good read, and with the application of due process and common sense - in the absence of any other evidence to the contrary - may just be the truth. I for one certainly think so.

The Devil in Ermine
The Devil in Ermine

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 23 Feb. 2014
This book is both interesting and amusing and gives the side of the story from Buckinghams POV. He comes across as a vain, arrogant and acquisitive man, which I believe is why Edward IV kept him at arms length - unfortunately Richard appears to have fallen for his charm and we all know the price he paid for the fleeting support offered. It highlights very well the treachery and double dealing which can occur I a power vacuum and although I felt some of the language may have been a bit too contemporary at times - I really enjoyed the book. The ending where we only glimpse Richard presence was particularly good and it was refreshing to read a boom which DIDNT end at Bosworth. Recommend this to anyone interested in this period.

By Loyalty Bound: The Story of the Mistress of King Richard III
By Loyalty Bound: The Story of the Mistress of King Richard III

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Feb. 2014
Reading the write up of this - I was extremely disappointed on reading - and is one of the first R3 books that I have almost not finished. I was very interested in the tale of Hornby Castle - but the lead character just didnt draw me into the settings at all and in the end I had no interest in what happened to her at the end.
I found her very two dimensional - and some of the scenes between her and Richard made me cringe slightly.
It was a shame - as I thought it was going to be really good.

Loyalty
Loyalty

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyal to the Man, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
Knowing Thomas More was in this book made me approach it with a bit of trepidation - but having read a description of the story - it got me intrigued.
I know very little about Holbein apart from some of what he painted, and the Tudors are far from my favourite novel subjects - but with this being interwoven with Richards story - I just had to read it. Being female - and a staunch Ricardian - I will unashamedly admit to veering on the more romantic versions of Richard that are depicted in many novels. However, this was a very likeable version Richard - portraying him as a man with faults and flaws - which he undoubtedly had.
Having read it - and not being able to put it down at all over the last few pages - I just had to read Honour - Matts next book continuing the tale. I suggest you do too!

Honour
Honour

5.0 out of 5 stars Francis Lovell - a man of loyalty and honour!, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
Having already read Matts previous novel Loyalty, I just had to read this book. Francis is an interesting character, and was obviously dedicated to Richard and must have been devastated by his defeat and death. This book gives an interesting play on the fates of the Princes during these uncertain and turbulent times. I certainly believe that Richard had them moved from the Tower, and this book concurs with my beliefs.
I quite liked the fact that Lovell struck out at Northumberland, I feel that if he believed his actions contributed to his friends death, this would have been entirely possible. I also liked the interplay between Lovell and Lincoln and particularly the depiction of the Battle of Stoke.
I didn't know what Holbein painting. Was being referred to - so I had to go look it up to remind myself. That part do the book was complex and impressive - but I will have to read it again and look more closely at the picture.
Now - just waiting for the next instalment of this story - nice one Matt!