Profile for Adrian > Reviews

Content by Adrian

Adrian

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
KitSound Data Sync, Charge and Audio Output Docking Station Cradle with Standard Micro USB Connector for Samsung Galaxy Note - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea - shame it doesn't work!, 31 Jan. 2014
I got this some time ago for my Galaxy Note N-7000. My idea was to use the dock beside my bed as an overnight charger with powered external speakers as I use my note as an alarm clock and I use the internet radio app a lot. Rather than having to plug in a lot of cables this dock would allow me to see the time from my bed without lifting the phone in the morning and have the speakers to listen to the radio and a nice loud alarm whist charging.

For some reason using the dock makes my speakers emit a low level hum if the Note is removed, unplugging the speakers from the dock sort out this problem – but what is the point of the dock if you have to do this every morning?

On occasion the charger does not work or is incredibly slow to charge, overnight only charging by 70%- to 80%– I have swapped the changing cable and plug, and on their own there is no problem, only when the charger is connected to the dock is there an issue. Worse still the intermittent charge causes the phone to beep on and off repeatedly in the middle of the night at random.

You also have to remove any case you have protecting your phone to use the dock. I have the lightest and thinnest case available for the Note at about 2mm thick and even this has to be removed to fit the dock

Overall a poor bit of kit that has been replaced by leaning the phone against a triangle shaped piece of wood!

Alphosyl 2-in-1 Medicated Shampoo
Alphosyl 2-in-1 Medicated Shampoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank Heavens for Amazon, 31 Jan. 2014
I have been using Alphosyl shampoo for several years and for me it is an absolute necessity for my scalp in preventing itchy dandruff. Although I have tried several other shampoo bands I always end up returning to Alphosyl as nothing else quite does the job.

I regularly bought this shampoo at my local pharmacy; then all of a sudden it couldn't be found! The Pharmacist claimed it was not being made any more and that I would have to change brands. I have tried several pharmacists and they all kept trying to get me to buy T-Gel which simply doesn’t work for me.

In line with advice I got from my doctor I only use a tiny amount to wash my hair and I restrict my usage to three times a week. To give you an idea as to how much I need, I only buy this shampoo every other month or so. On my "off" days I use Nizoral shampoo, which is very good, but not quite up to the job of keeping my very flaky scalp in check. I suspect the pharmacists don’t want to stock it because I only buy such a small amount it can’t be economical for them.

I am therefore delighted to have "found" it again on Amazon - and with Amazon prime covering the postage it’s a cheaper price too!

The Original Theraline incl. cover (red)
The Original Theraline incl. cover (red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for a good nights sleep, 31 Jan. 2014
I got this support pillow for my wife when she started to have a bit of difficulty getting to sleep lying down flat on her back. I had done a bit of research on the different pillows and we both were very disappointed in the quality of the traditional pillows we looked at.

These micro bead pillows offer simply fantastic support and don’t go flat-as-a-pancake with prolonged use. The other big advantage is that this pillow can be “moulded” into various shapes to suit the position your partner needs to sleep in.

One only downside is that it this does take up quite a bit of space in the bed, and on occasion I have been pushed out of my sleeping position by the bulk of the pillow which becomes hard around the edges when someone is lying on it.

Although we have only washed the pillow once or twice I can report that the pillow is fairly easy to clean and dry and we hope this feature will be of use when baby arrives and we need it for (messy) feeding times.

I’m also going to agree with another reviewer (K.Smith) that, if you purchase one of these pillows you may need to buy a second one; I have been caught pilfering it on several occasions - I can't help myself as it's brilliant for support when reading in bed!

Pack of 3 - MiniSun Branded 5W High Power GU10 Bulbs with 27 x SMD LEDs - 520 Lumens - Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow ... when they say "High Power" they aren't kidding, 4 Jan. 2014
I bought these to replace 6 halogen type 50 watt GU10 bulbs in recessed fittings. These LED equivalents are currently in our living room as the main source of light.

I was originally doubtful about their claimed power output so I have seen a great many LED bulbs that are so dull they could not be seriously considered as true 50 watt alternatives. I need not have worried as these LEDs are actually BRIGHTER than the bulbs I replaced. The light is instantly available on startup, very strong and has a wide beam that lights the entire room. I am simply amazed that a room that required 300 watts of lighting now only requires 30 watts.

I am removing one of the stars because although the light is described as "warm white" it is still a bit too "cold white" when compared to the warm colour of the original 50 watt bulbs they replaced. I think this is a fairly minor concern and I think l I will probably get used to the bulbs colour over time.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs Professional Installation / External Choc Box, 31 Oct. 2013
Bought this to replace a very old 300 watt halogen light that was getting dangerous. As the cabling was still in good condition I had the intent of swapping over the lights myself. The area to be lit is about 10m by 10m and I have to say on ordering the unit arrived promptly.

First Impressions were of a very sturdy metal box, much larger and of heavier construction than the unit is is to replace - but a bit disappointed in the very short cable that is pre-wired into the unit, at perhaps 20 to 30cm long it really needs to be longer to be of any use.

When I received the unit I was alarmed that the back of the light rattled. On opening the panel I found a small electronic "ballast box" that was attached to the inside of the unit with glue! The glue had came unstuck and was obviously unsuitable for the job of holding the ballast box in place. The glue is also quite unnecessary as the light is not going to be moving about much (I hope!) and was easily picked off by hand. When I repositioned the ballast box and replaced the cover there was no longer a rattle but I had to be careful not to damage the waterproof seal.

I was a bit concerned as I did not see terminals to attach my existing lighting wiring and did not want to open the electronic ballast box so I contacted my trusted electrician who took a quick look at the box said the glue was probably there to protect the unit during transit. He checked the unit over and declared it safe and promptly installed it by connecting the existing wiring using what I would call a "choc box" or Junction box that was rated for use outside. This was a very cheap item at about a pound - but is absolutely necessary to extend the cable.

The electrician recommended we mount the unit much higher than the old 300 watt unit it replaced (using another junction box and some pvc tubing) and I am very glad we did so as the light produced from this little 30 watt "bulb" is tremendous! It produces a much "colder" white light than halogen and the unit gives a much better "spread" of light, illuminating the entire garden much better than a unit that uses 10 times the power - the light is so bright that it lights up some of the neighbours gardens too! On that point we had to angle the light downward to avoid any complaints.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this light - however needing to get an electrician in on what should be a simple light swap was not what I had intended - so a loss of one star.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 7:51 PM GMT

Ultra thin Slim Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless Keyboard Keypad for iPad 16GB 32GB WiFi, iPhone 4 4G 3G 3Gs Sony PS3 Smart Phones PC & Mac Laptop Desktop Netbook HTC Nokia Sony Ericsson Motorola Samsung LG Blackberry Mobile Phones
Offered by Navitech Official UK Store Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Item - Key Missing, 26 Oct. 2013
Keyboard arrived promptly however one of the keys was broken/missing on arrival.

This was very embarrassing as the keyboard was a small gift to one of my nieces who lives 60 miles away. My sister called me to say the keyboard arrived broken and could I ask amazon for a new one/refund. I was embarrassed to then have to e-mail the responding message to my sister for her to print out. My sister is now stuck with the unenviable task of returning the item to some sort of collection point - she has five kids to look after and really doesn't need another task to add to her day - so all in all not a very good gift for her!

Not impressed at all as this is the very first time I have had to return an item from amazon.

Perixx PERIBOARD-805, Bluetooth Foldable Keyboard - 145x92x16mm Pocket Size - Compatible with iPad, iPad Mini, Nexus, Galaxy Tab, S3, Note - Silent X Type Scissor Keys - On/Off Switch - US English Layout
Offered by Perixx UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for heavy use, 9 Oct. 2013
I got this fairly low cost keyboard for occasional use on my large tablet phone (Galaxy Note N-7000) to type up the occasional e-mail and make changes to my presentations on the move.

The Keyboard paired up easily enough with my android phone, although on occasion it has "dropped out" without explanation. The keyboard isn't really "balanced" (is the world I would use). The board feels award with the keys being of different sizes and a very strange double button arrangement for the space-bar. It also rocked gently when typing as if it was missing a rubber stabilizer (which it isn't even though I checked it regularly) and the key return is very "wooden". It really isn't a nice experience typing on it - so it has used even less than I had planned and only been out on a handful of occasions. I now find myself get a bit annoyed with it and switching on my laptop when I need to type.

Anyhow today it has given up on recharging for no reason that I can see and it obviously will not work without power. I will not be upset, nor will I look for a replacement as I have been disappointed in the wasted potential of this product - even if it was in the sub £20 bracket when I bought it. I will however be investing in a "proper" full size keyboard soon - or perhaps investing in a rather more expensive folding product that has better reviews!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2013 5:11 PM GMT

Kensington Style Laptop Key Lock Security Cable Lock
Kensington Style Laptop Key Lock Security Cable Lock
Offered by SWEETY LIFE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, -Security at a low price ... but what a whiff!, 9 Oct. 2013
This is an excellent product - and at the price of under a quid each I really am impressed. I have bought five of these in total over the last month or so to secure laptops and projectors in my school.

HOWEVER, and this feels like I'm overstating this issue given the good build quality and price, there is an awful smell of some kind of oil on the locking mechanism. A number of people - including the students have commented with even the odd comment from other staff of "is it safe?". I am pleased to say the smell has gone after about a week out of the packaging so I recommend that you put this in a well ventilated spot for about a week prior to use.

kenable USB 2.0 A To MICRO B Data and Charging Cable 3m
kenable USB 2.0 A To MICRO B Data and Charging Cable 3m
Offered by crazy4fones

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine product, 9 Oct. 2013
Works well with my Galaxy Note Phone (N-7000) as a recharge cable.
For some reason the phones recharge time is much faster than the "flat" type cable I bought.

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Offered by KING OF FLASH

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..., 11 Aug. 2013
A handy little gadget which is its greatest strength and also a weakness as I keep losing them/having others "borrow" them (I'm currently on my fourth)! I also keep thinking the reader is a USB drive and have mistaken it on several occasions. However it does the job excellently and will probably keep on buying them until I get a new laptop with a built in reader.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3