Profile for G. Bowman > Reviews

Content by G. Bowman

G. Bowman "gbowman" (Peterborough, UK)

Plague of the Dead (The Morningstar Strain)
Plague of the Dead (The Morningstar Strain)
by Z.A. Recht

3.0 out of 5 stars SImply not enough Zombies, 30 July 2007
The first part of this book was very good; with plenty of the sort of gory action that you buy this book for. During the early pages, the twin story-lines worked well. However, I felt that as the book progressed, one odf the story lines just seemed to fizzle out. The book also turned into more of a traditional military story where the enemy just happened to be people who came back to life. This may suit some people, but I preferred Monster Island.

The Van
The Van
by Roddy Doyle
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 7 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Van (Paperback)
This is my fourth Roddy Doyle book and although I would recommend anything he writes, this is by far the best I have read so far. It struck me that anyone who likes the UK series "The Royle Family" would love this book. The central character is a beer-loving layabout who sees the Van Project as a big game, which he eventually tires of. The Rise and Fall of these entrepreneurs is about the funniest thing I have ever read. I guess there are some people who won't like it, but I hope I don't get invited to one of their "dinner parties". I can't recommend this enough.

The Wire in the Blood
The Wire in the Blood
by Val McDermid

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and gruesome, 7 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Wire in the Blood (Paperback)
Having read the original book, I was expecting great things of this book. In the main it fulfilled my expectations. The language is a gruesame and violent as you would expect if you have read "Mermaids". As others have said in their reviews, it is odd to know the identity of the killer at the start of the book. Rather than a "Whodunnit?" thriller, the suspense here is created by the question "Who else might get done?" Having said that, some people may find that this lacks the suspense that "Mermaids" did; my girlfriend was not impressed by the book at all. For me the biggest disappointment was the end. I felt that it was a bit of an anti-climax and that the "twist" seemed to be something of an afterthought. However, I had already had a few hours of enjoyable reading by the time I got to the end and for that reason have awarded the book 4 stars