Profile for Rose of Lancaster > Reviews

Content by Rose of Lancaster

Rose of Lancaster (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Bose SoundTouch 10 Wireless Music System - White
Bose SoundTouch 10 Wireless Music System - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of useless waste, 24 April 2016
So disappointing. Bought it from elsewhere for £169.90 connecting to an iPhone 6s via Bluetooth should only be attempted if you want to end up smashing it against the wall.
When it finally decides on Bluetooth (pressing any button - Bluetooth on the speaker or the remote - seems to have nothing to do with this selection) then it connects - or not, as it wishes. Once connected you'd attempt to play a song but be careful not to try to listen to it - it starts with zero volume and one "careless" push on the volume up and it starts increasing to max with no way to stop it - press volume down and it decreases to zero, no stop. Try to adjust volume on the phone and it takes over the volume control and you end up watching the volume bar on your phone jumping up and down.

Spent 10 minutes doing this, 2x disconnects, turn off and on, forget device, reconnect - still the same crap. Returning it tomorrow time is too precious to waste on stressing over this useless crap, it's not worth the 10% of its price, it's not worth even the thought or consideration to buy. Stay away from it. Wish I picked beats over this thing.

Ps - white my ***. The front is GREY. Not light grey but ugly mid grey. The "on" (and I guess standby too) light is bright YELLOW. Ugly. The sides of it are white but you won't have it turned to side on a shelf right so no, it's not white.

Photo taken (attached) I realise it decided to switch off Bluetooth altogether. That light was blue. So I guess it may be good for a small light show to "brighten" the room but nothing else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2016 10:00 PM BST

Naturally Med Olive Wood Laguiole Steak Knives - Set of 6
Naturally Med Olive Wood Laguiole Steak Knives - Set of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars people ask where it's from and say it's really nice. I'm a bit worried of the untreated wood ..., 14 Feb. 2016
Got compliments every time I brought this out, people ask where it's from and say it's really nice. I'm a bit worried of the untreated wood handles but I'll probably oil them time to time and it'll last.

Tall Bathroom Cabinet in White.
Tall Bathroom Cabinet in White.
Offered by Sylvester Oxford Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad paint job ruins an otherwise nice piece, 14 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Tall Bathroom Cabinet in White.
The paint job is awful spray job (quite carelessly done) hence 3 stars. It looks nice but I'll have to repaint it. Plus I opened 5 days ago and it still stinks. IMHO for the price I expected it comes properly painted, after all it's just mdf so I consider it overpriced if I add the paint I need now to make this look hot..

Chest/cabinet in vintage style - natural colour (palownia wood) - 3 cloth covered baskets

3.0 out of 5 stars Baskets are of paper not of wicker as advertised, 14 Feb. 2016
I have to give three stars with a heavy heart because it's a nice item quickly delivered (2 days into the timeframe given for delivery)
However this is NOT WICKER. The baskets are of paper, not of wicker and since this is in my bathroom I'm concerned how long it'll last. For the price though and the fact that it's perfect fit for what I wanted, I have 3 not 1. It looks the part, but it is not the part I thought I was buying. So I am still quite disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2016 8:39 AM GMT

12 X MIXED GRITS WET AND DRY SANDING BLOCK / PADS FINE MEDIUM COARSE ABRASIVE FOAM SANDPAPER BLOCKS (12 MIXED BLOCKS)
Offered by DOM'S DIY DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Good size, and lasting, doesn't get clogged with chalk when used to distress chalk painted furniture., 2 Jan. 2016
Used up the whole pack of 12x while finishing 5 pieces of furniture (because I painted different colours) - they're essentially just sanding blocks there's not much to say about them - they require the work and effort when sanding but they're good and lasting, handle a lot without clogging fully and don't become unusable because of being clogged, they were also handy (size) - I wish the short edges were covered in sand paper it'd make this perfect for when sanding smaller tricky surfaces but else it's good. Will get some more for the next bunch of furniture I'll paint so that says it all.

Liquorice Black Chalk Based Furniture Paint great for creating a shabby chic style. 250ml
Offered by easichalk (VAT Reg)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best paint I ever used, makes furniture painting and distressing really easy - but it's way overpriced to use it for everything, 2 Jan. 2016
Painted an Ikea Hemnes tv cabinet and matching bookshelf that's pine and fibreboard stained white (not laminated), on the first go it almost covered, the second layer completely covered without a flaw, and without extensive watching out to ensure there'll be no misses, just a simple quick paint over the first layer and the result is rich deep black colour. I painted the side of the bookshelf as it stood and not a sign of dripping on the surface - as it's not as thick as AS, and with AS it's a struggle to avoid not painting a too thick coat that then results in massive amount of flowing paint that dries as is quite quickly (I water now every AS quart right after opening to get to the thickness of THIS paint.) Important note that I simply washed down the furniture with dishwashing detergent and dried with kitchen towel before the painting to avoid oiliness but I didn't sand or prime or anything. Just got on with the painting afterwards and it stuck to the surface like a dream.
I used AS wax on it as that's what I had at home and it seems to have worked well, dried quickly and just like on an AS paint. The paint coverage is smooth - probably not the best paint if someone wants visible brush strokes on their furniture but this is perfect for smoother hand painted finish. It dries quickly but still allows to 'go back' and correct any mistakes in the first couple minutes after painting if it'd be needed (but it won't be, with this there are no 'the layer is too quick and began to 'melt down' on the side' issues). Optimal.
Another characteristic to point out is - probably due to it having less than AS - it sheds way less chalk when distressing. So I wasn't bathing in black chalk when I distressed these contrary to my other paint jobs which covered me and the floor in chalk when doing the same amount of distressing or even less - I distressed every edge of every piece on the black painted bits and there was no mounting black powder on my floor afterwards, my hands weren't all black from it. I distress before waxing so I can wax the final finish, and it was easy with this, really easy.
Overall, I had 5 pieces to paint, 2x with this, and 3x with AS colours and I have to say the experience with this has put the AS to shame in a way that it was a hassle to struggle with AS when this was so easy. That's the best to describe it - I removed the books and TV in the morning, painted the two coats, distressed, waxed, allowed to dry from the evening and the next morning packed everything back on and it's just perfect. So the texture and colour both perfect, if someone is looking for pitch black paint this is it and it'll be very easy to use.
The only negative attribute (and why I rather water up other paint brands for other colours) is the price which is way too high, 250ml for £13 and you get a litre of AS for £19 which from this would be what, £52? Way too pricey for what it is.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2016 10:16 AM GMT

Harris 286 Artists Brush Set (Pack of 10)
Harris 286 Artists Brush Set (Pack of 10)

1.0 out of 5 stars One word: Useless, 2 Jan. 2016
If I could give zero stars I'd happily do that without hesitation. The black piece of paper you see on the picture hides that these are glued together by their handle (or some sticky tape that turned to glue) and it means unless you want to struggle you start by spending long minutes cleaning the brush. Even more sadly, the bristles are also glued together with some adhesive that comes off in (relatively) large pieces. But if you dare to wash out, the brush is as good as useless, cannot hold the paint on it let alone draw a line. I tried to decorate furniture, big mistake. I gave up and used regular brushes and rather corrected afterwards, surely I saved at least half a day that way. These would have taken me hours and hours of struggle because you cannot cover a 5x1 cm in one go (or even two) with the largest brush even and honestly, they are simply shapeless and not enough bristle in them to actually use them for painting. My layman observation - they were a waste of money and after trying 3 of them, I threw it all into the bin. Shouldve returned them as "not fit for purpose" but I saved the hassle for myself.

LG Harris 13190 Platinum Brush Set (Pack of 5)
LG Harris 13190 Platinum Brush Set (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad because otherwise these would be good, 2 Jan. 2016
3 stars because it sheds, sadly into the paint. Not drammatic but having done 5 pieces of furniture 4 of them I found there was bristle in the paint. two of them on the top! Sad because otherwise these would be good, handy and easy to use and clean.

ADORN 28681 1m x 3m Double Protection Absorbent Dust Sheet / Fleece Roll 300 GSM

5.0 out of 5 stars It protected my floor completely from a can of black paint kicked over on it accidentally!, 25 Dec. 2015
I just write this review to say - don't get anything else if you think of your wooden floor protected while you paint!
I spilled a can of liquorice (black) paint over this, while painting. Nothing got through not even a single spot. Besides its more comfortable to kneel on this the top layer is very soft. I use a cardboard under the furniture to be able to paint legs etc and it's the perfect solution. Won't use anything else in the future, this has proven it's worth avoided an absolute disaster.
On the photo is the back of this after the paint can disaster, one tiny spot on the back stopped by the plastic layer the rest of the paint got stuck in the wool layer and nothing's on the floor!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Steens Richmond Pine Bedside Table
Steens Richmond Pine Bedside Table

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price this is perfect, nice finish easy instructions ample storage..., 25 Dec. 2015
I give the five stars also for the price and measuring the quality with that in mind.
Pros:
- the finish is well done - I bought this knowing I'll paint it but the finish is so nice it made me decide to leave the top as is :)
- usually for this price the parts don't fit, holes are pre-drilled that not align etc - putting this little one together was easy as everything aligned perfectly, everything fits - although I say this before inserting any drawers as the item is being painted still
- the three drawers are of good size so will provide plenty of storage while the item is not bulky
- the drawers have rails so will be easy moving! Completely unexpected addition which I welcomed when I realised
- the instructions are easy to follow (especially if one is used to ikea's, they follow the same method) and clear

Cons:
- I didn't get wood filler but it would've been needed on a leg and a drawer. Nothing serious but two little knots are missing from the wood on two edges that should've been filled by the manufacturer probably
- the drawer rails - the grease in them (to make them run smoothly) is just horrendous when putting the parts together.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6