Profile for P. Marshall > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Hozelock 40 m Floor-Standing Fast Reel
Hozelock 40 m Floor-Standing Fast Reel

5.0 out of 5 stars Check Pricing On Amazon, 8 Jun 2014
Hose works great. Purpose of my "review" is to alert prospective buyers who don't know to Amazon's bizarre pricing of these particular products. As I write the 25m version is £38 and it's £79 for the 40m version. So it's cheaper to buy two 25 m ones and get over 11m extra length for less money (with the supplied connector hose). Each much lighter too! The prices of these yoyo almost daily. I've now bought six Hozelock 40m reels and I've paid just £45 each for two units and another exactly the same at £79 (all direct from Amazon). Daft. Look at the competition's pricing and you can be sure that if Tesco or Argus drop their price, even for a day, Amazon will match it! But as soon as the completion's stock goes, the price will shoot up again. I'm not being petty about this, it's not just pennies - the price difference on Amazon can be huge from one day to the next.

Lacor-72803-PROFESIONAL SOUP LADLE
Lacor-72803-PROFESIONAL SOUP LADLE

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a ladle Jim, but not as we know it!, 6 Jun 2014
Yes it's a ladle but it's a very nice ladle. Beautifully made, nice and heavy and large. Expensive but definitely a case of getting what you pay for.

Black & Decker GL720 Garden String Strimmer, 600 Watt (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Mark 2 version is very badly designed, 6 Jun 2014
This strimmer is very badly designed or more precisely it is made of cheap plastic parts which should have been metal. I have already fitted a new belt as the original shredded (accepted it is a replaceable part) - now the plastic pulley has been stripped bare. Terrible design and no spare part available - you have to buy a whole new motor at the same price as a new strimmer. Shameful B&D, especially as you clearly know the part is not fit for purpose as you have upgraded it to metal!. I'm going elsewhere and will never buy another of your products again.

*NEW* 3-in-1 Rechargeable Torch, Automatic Night Light & Emergency Power Cut Light. As seen on BBC's "Dragons Den"
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Troll. This works very well, 29 May 2014
There's a Troll posting negative comments but the overall feedback should give you a good idea of the overall suitability of this emergency light. I have two on trial I use in France, one with a European plug and another with a UK plug used with an adapter, which I recommend as the better solution because the unit then fits tightly into the socket, unlike the 2 pin European version, which in my experience does not (at least in France, it may be ok elsewhere in Europe). If you do this make sure your adapters do not switch the earth pin from top to bottom!

I'm not going to review this, there are plenty of reviews, but I am going to add my observations and hope they help.

This unit is not intended to be a torch. It is an emergency light and as such is not meant to be taken out of its holder/charger all the time. If it never has to be removed from the charger I will be very happy! Use it as intended and you will not drop it, break it, bend the flanges when it's replaced in the charger, let it run down or otherwise stop it working. Repeat - it is an emergency light! If you want a torch go buy one for a few quid. This is not for you. That you can remove it and use it as a torch is a bonus, not its primary function.

Right, so it comes on when the power fails. You probably won't need to remove it from the charger even then as there's enough light to see what you are doing and (if you are subject to power cuts, as I am) find your "proper" torch or lantern. That's a big, bright light that's intended for its own purpose. You will have noticed your torch or lantern did not come on automatically when the power failed. You need both.

Another common complaint is that the night light is on all the time when it's dark. I understand that if you order direct from safeTlight they can supply units that have this disabled, so contact them. They also give a volume discount so if you want a few of these, contact them. I did and am pleased I did because for me these units are for adult bedrooms in a gite business and I don't want "kiddies" night lights, just emergency lighting.

I cannot comment on longevity. I don't know if it will last for the next 10 years. But again, that's not the point. This is an emergency light that operates in a very specific situation - when it's dark and the power goes out. There's not much else on the market that I can just plug in that will do that, at least with the relevant safety certification and that is very important to me in a hospitality business. I will be buying more of these and for now just wanted to share my opinion and the results of my research. To me, it's a "must have" device, like a smoke detector of carbon monoxide monitor. It is not a rechargeable torch!

I have to add the usual... I'm not connected with the manufacturer in any way. This is simply a product that has filled a need and I'm very happy with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 7:01 PM BST

APC Pro 1500 230V Power Saving Back UPS
APC Pro 1500 230V Power Saving Back UPS

5.0 out of 5 stars To the prat who complained it was useless because it only had 5 powered sockets, not 10 !!, 30 Mar 2014
Dear Mr Prat who complained that this only had five UPS sockets... you go ahead and buy a real UPS that has ten battery back-up sockets and no "useless" surge protected ones and plug your ten critical devices (including you hair drier and your washing machine) into it so you can run them for 24 hours on battery power. Then this unit will only run your critical devices for a few seconds. Sorry, my mistake, it will probably explode with your requirements. These APC units are fantastic - they all do what they supposed to do, each within its own spec of course. The whole idea of having some battery-backed-up sockets and some surge protected (only!) is to have the longest up-time for critical devices and not worry about non-critical devices (printers, your vibrator charger, whatever). Of course you could have bought five cheap in-line power extensions and plugged each one into a battery-backed-up socket and gotten 20-80 fully battery-backed-up sockets.... People like you shouldn't be allowed to but computers. Or vibrators.

THG Pack of 6 x E14 Plug 5W LED Candle Light In Day White Colour
THG Pack of 6 x E14 Plug 5W LED Candle Light In Day White Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a warning about chandeliers, 17 Mar 2014
I have given 5 stars because these type of bulbs do indeed do what they are supposed to do very well and the following is not really a fault, but there is a big "but". I did not buy from this supplier but the twelve bulbs I bought are identical so my comment is valid and will apply to all such designs - the angle of light is narrow, unlike normal candle bulbs, incandescent or low energy, which shine pretty much all around. So if they are used in light fittings above ones head, "chandeliers" or maybe wall lights, there is a "beam" upwards. I guess around 160 degrees max so they are useless in high up fittings where the bulbs sit upright (hanging down they'd be fine!). So, good in bedside lamps, side table lamps, whatever but definitely not for my intended use. Incidentally, I bought mine, from Hong Kong, because the ad stated they had a 320 degree beam angle. Learn from my error!

MISS DIOR eau de perfume spray 30 ml
MISS DIOR eau de perfume spray 30 ml
Offered by Dallas Wear Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE DECEPTION!, 12 Jan 2014
This is not "Miss Dior". Dior have conned many people into paying large sums of money for some sickly sweet scent that they have renamed "Miss Dior" then refuse to even acknowledge they have done anything wrong. DECEPTION. I am not talking counterfeited here - Dior have deliberately misled their loyal customers and are peddling a product that is worse than a fake because they're not even selling it cheap. Yes I'm infuriated but Dior are a disgrace. What if VAG Group renamed Skoda as Porsche and told you after you bought your Porsche if you'd really wanted a proper Porsche you should have bought a "Porsche Original"?

This was bought for my wife so it's MY hundred quid down the drain. Shame on you Dior. Make my day and sack whoever thought up this deception.

(p.s. I have for years bought her Dior perfume at a proper perfume shop, not Amazon who are clearly blameless - but as people keep pointing out this is for product reviews). The product stinks (pun intended).

Christian Dior Miss Dior Eau de Parfum - 50 ml
Christian Dior Miss Dior Eau de Parfum - 50 ml

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE DECEPTION!, 12 Jan 2014

Dior Miss Dior Eau de Parfum - 100 ml
Dior Miss Dior Eau de Parfum - 100 ml
Offered by Direct Beauty

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - THIS IS DECEPTION BY DIOR, 12 Jan 2014

Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Offered by Limestone

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is the fraudster here then?, 30 Dec 2013
I can't reasonably give this one star because I do not "hate" it but it's worth no more than two stars for "I don't like it". Apart from not liking its ribbon interface (but I'll get used to it one day.... maybe), Microsoft forced me into buying this because they are soon withdrawing support for Office 2003, which I happily used for years. But not to live in the past, about a year ago I bought a copy of Office 2010 Home and Student which was much cheaper than the Pro version and did everything I wanted except include Outlook. So I happily used Outlook 2003 along with my up-to-date H&S version of Office 2010, albeit without proper integration. Then "bang" Microsoft announced withdrawal of support for the most vulnerable element of Office 2003 - Outlook. So I checked out replacing my Outlook 2003 with 2010. The ridiculous price of the stand-alone program aside (it's only a bl**dy email client to me), even if I did buy it it would not integrate with the H&S version of Office 2010. You're con artists Microsoft.

So the only realistic long-term solution was to buy a Pro version of Office 2010 (I might use Access again in the next few years), uninstall all my paid-for, perfectly working, perfectly satisfactory and contemporary other Office applications and install £400 worth of totally unnecessary and unwanted software. What benefit do I get? Zilch. What alternative did I have? None. OK, maybe save a bit by just buying Outlook 2010 but it wouldn't give me back my integration with Word's spell checker, etc. So we're back to no benefit again.

And for all of you "you have to move with the times" preachers out there - why? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or rather, don't force customers to junk it. The worst thing of all about anyone with that attitude is Microsoft recommend installing the 32 bit version 'cos the 64 bit version doesn't work properly on 64 bit systems running a 64 bit version of their own OS! So my super-fast stuffed to the gunnels with memory, multi processor, 64 bit machine can't run your over priced bloatware in its native mode? Hypocrites!

And why didn't I just go straight for Office 2013 in one of its guises. Read the licence agreements. It's no bargain if bought and as for renting it! Hahahahah

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8