Profile for P. Marshall > Reviews

Content by P. Marshall

P. Marshall (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
NETGEAR DGND4000-100UKS N750 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections

1.0 out of 5 stars What a hideous piece of kit, 25 Feb. 2015
This actually looks quite good in the picture. In reality it is the ugliest and most appallingly designed router I have ever seen. There are plastic feet on the "bottom" and slots to wall mount it but what they don't tell you until you've parted with your cash is you can't use them! It has to be mounted vertically, i.e. as it comes out of the box. It looks dreadful! With its oversized, flimsy sticking-out "foot", ugly back that ought to be the (hidden) bottom and a totally pointless bit that sticks out of the front. Is it April the first already? I'd like it if I could throw away the unnecessary bits - the base plate that isn't a base plate and the foot that's just stuck on the end of it. I have had three DG834 derivative Netgear routers/modems. Sure they have little "feet" you can add to use them vertically but they CAN be used horizontally. This thing is just hideous. I can't comment on how it works because it's going in the bin. Somebody please tell me it's a joke and the real one is arriving soon.

Ei Electronics Ei105B Smoke Detector NF Wireless with Test Button 9 V Battery Included 85 dB White

5.0 out of 5 stars French Version, 24 Feb. 2015
I bought a different model (Ei105H) but I'm repeating my comments here as the information is equally relevant and somebody is bound to complain the instructions are in French!

This needs some explanation. As of 10th March 2015 it is compulsory in France to have at least one smoke detector in each home. As is normal in France, there is some confusion as to exactly what the legal requirements are!

1) The law says "smoke alarm" - does that mean heat alarms don't count?

2) The device must comply with EN14604 NF - note the "NF". UK versions of this product are compliant with BS EN14604. Does that mean the BS version doesn't count?

Stupid questions maybe but after trying to find the answers I have bought the NF version simply for peace of mind (I bought from Amazon France as they're a bit cheaper with free delivery here). I can show my insurance company the "real thing" certified to the French standard and never have to get into the debate.

So, if you live in France, buy the NF version of these devices. If you live in the UK buy the BS version. I'm sure they're identical but we all know what insurance companies are like in trying to wriggle out of their liabilities.

Ei Electronics Ei105H Smoke Detector NF Wireless with Test Button and Silence Function 9 V Battery Included 85 dB White

5.0 out of 5 stars French Version, 24 Feb. 2015

1) The law says "smoke alarm" - does that mean heat alarms don't count?

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2015 3:19 PM GMT

eGM(tm) Universal UK US AU to EU Europe Power Adapter Converter Wall Plug
eGM(tm) Universal UK US AU to EU Europe Power Adapter Converter Wall Plug
Offered by Golden Mean

1.0 out of 5 stars This is probably not what you think- Beware, 23 Feb. 2015
Misleading! This will not fit in any normal European wall socket. European sockets have an earth pin sticking out of them that fits into a hole in a Schuko plug (or proper adapter). Judging by the picture, this adapter has no hole to receive the pin so simply will not fit into the socket. To be fair the description does say it's "2 pin" and it is - but it needs to be 2 pin plus the earth pin receptor, even if there is no physical earth. Amazon should take this listing off or make it clear it will not do the job intended, i.e. convert a UK EARTHED/FUSED plug for use in a European EARTHED socket. Sure, you might, just might come across a two-pin only, non earthed socket. Some very old wiring in old houses does have 2 pin only sockets but I wouldn't plug a phone charger into them! And for the pedants out there, I have seen two-pin/non earthed sockets in houses but only for low current light fittings. They are not common.

Edit - looking at this again I don't think it will actually fit in the recessed European sockets anyway, even if there was an earth pin hole, it's the wrong shape and dimensions! At least there is no risk of anyone electrocuting themselves!

Robert Welch Radford Stainless Steel Stilton Scoop Spoon RADBR1029V/12
Robert Welch Radford Stainless Steel Stilton Scoop Spoon RADBR1029V/12
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 31 Jan. 2015
This is a lovely item. I'm a bit annoyed with myself though... I liked it so much I had to buy more of the same set..... individual cheese knives, a set of cheese implements, a carving set.... oh well. Who'd have thought a stilton spoon could be addictive?

Terracotta sun hanging wall art plaque
Terracotta sun hanging wall art plaque
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 17 Jan. 2015
Bought two as Christmas presents. Very well received.

Robert Welch Radford Cheese Knife Set
Robert Welch Radford Cheese Knife Set
Offered by Colanders FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but very small, 17 Jan. 2015
These are lovely - much smaller than I expected. So we'll use them as individual cheese knives (I've ordered another two packs for this purpose) for dinner parties where everybody gets their own. I also ordered a "proper" big Robert Welch cheese knife set to match. Nothing wrong with the quality, just be aware of what these are - small.

Ancol Acticat Fat Boy Scratch Post 70cm
Ancol Acticat Fat Boy Scratch Post 70cm

3.0 out of 5 stars They don't make 'em like they used to, 17 Jan. 2015
Bought from Amazon France as I live there but it's exactly the same product. It is also the most expensive scratch post on Amazon so I feel this criticism is fully justified. I bought the most expensive because I wanted the strongest for our 9 cats of varying sizes. Well, if a thin cardboard tube with a hollow middle covered in pretty thin rope that you could pull off with your fingers without too much effort and a foam filled "velvet" top and base are your idea of strong, you'll be happy with this. I'll be surprised if it lasts a week but if it does I will update this review.

This (admittedly big) post replaced one my wife bought in Harrods pet department 25 years ago for £18 - expensive then too. But it's lasted those 25 years with its solid wood core and base and carpet covered base and top. And it came with a ball attached to a horizontal perch which also survived countess cats trying their best to destroy it! When this Ancol thing is destroyed, which won't be long, I'll do what I should have done in the first place and repaired the Harrods one, It'll be good for another 25 years.

Add.... I just had a real good look at this. It has obvious and exposed staples along the top to hold the "rope" on. What a load of carp. What's going to happen when one of my cats manages to pull a sharp staple off? I'll screw the rope on to sort this rubbish out but still don't see it lasting. The build quality is truly appalling and now dangerous. Why don't I send it back? Got better things to do with my life but I'll give it a week.

Edit 31 Jan 2015. I've been compelled, in the interests of fairness, to raise my rating from 1 to 3 stars. Everything I have written above still stands.... but the cats all love it, so I can no longer "hate it". It is a flawed product and the rope has started to separate a bit, but it has lasted longer than the week I originally gave it! So, Ancol, if you read this, please up your game - more robust inner tube (plastic rather than cardboard?) - I appreciate it can't realistically be solid, thicker and better attached rope, more robust soft bits (carpet, like my old one?)and a better more robust fixing between the base and the pole. Oh yes, and don't leave those nasty staples showing. In short, everything needs improving! But the cats still love it.

Philips HD9220/20 Airfryer Healthier Oil Free Fryer, Black
Philips HD9220/20 Airfryer Healthier Oil Free Fryer, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but be aware of the ridiculous price of accessories, 21 Dec. 2014
Great product, used almost exclusively for cooking frozen chips. Takes a bit if experimentation to get the right chips and definitely needs a little bit more oil than recommended but when you do get these variables right the results are excellent. I have knocked a star off because the Philips accessories are an absolutely ridiculous price. Irrelevant if you don't want them of course but I wanted a food separator, just a little metal plate.... £20!!!

Vodafone Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini VE Pay as you go Handset - White
Vodafone Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini VE Pay as you go Handset - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first foray into Smartphones, 21 Dec. 2014
I bought mine direct from Vodafone (£99) to replace an ageing Samsung phone (yup, just a phone). Two reasons, mainly I could use my existing full sized SIM and with pay-as-you go it seems to be difficult to replace that with a mini one, especially as I live outside the UK. I also wanted something I could actually use to text and my old phone had tiny buttons recessed into the bit under a sliding top. I'm very happy indeed with this S3 Mini.... it is, after all, very inexpensive compared to more up to date smart phones but it does absolutely everything I will ever want to do. It does however leave me with a problem.... my wife now want's one too.

If I have a criticism it's that the sound isn't very good, as in playing an mp3 as a ringtone or just mp3 music. I am not at all surprised but I have heard friends' smartphones playing music and they're usually better than my S3 mini... but they paid hundreds of pounds or have expensive monthly plans. I did think I'd be able to have background music out in the garden but this isn't really an option with the phone alone. However, I bought a JBL Flip 2 Bluetooth speaker for £49 (on offer from Amazon) and a 32 gig Samsung Evo micro SD card and voila! Works a treat. And forget background, it's party quality and knocks spots off anything I've heard that's as portable so if your requirements are anything like mine, for £150 plus an optional SD card you can have great sounds wherever you go. Enjoy.

p.s. the reason for buying the Samsung Evo card is that I've seen reviews where people have had difficulties getting their cards to work, having to reformat them, whatever. I reckoned that with a Samsung card I'd have a better chance of avoiding such issues and I was right. Works perfectly out of the box, as does the 64 gig one in my wife's Galaxy Tab S.... and she STILL wants an S3 Mini too!.

IMPORTANT UPDATE. I have left my original comments below so you can see the context. Now the VE (8200) version has arrived I can confirm it takes a standard sized SIM. I suspect other reports that it takes a "micro" are confusing the SIM with the SD card! The newer version certainty seems faster than my "original". A great buy!

Ignore the following now...

WARNING. The phone I bought as per above is an S3 Mini. The review states S3 Mini VE version - it stands for Value Edition apparently. This is what I have just bought for my wife without realising it is DIFFERENT. Actually, I think it's a little better but there is one HUGE difference - as far as I can see the VE needs a smaller SIM, something I specifically did not want. It hasn't arrived yet so we'll see, but I wanted to alert prospective buyers.

There is conflicting information as to what sized SIM the VE model takes. My original order was returned damaged to Amazon and the replacement hasn't arrived yet so I'll clarify once I get it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9