Profile for Mary > Reviews

Content by Mary

Mary

The Happiness Trap (Based on ACT: A revolutionary mindfulness-based programme for overcoming stress, anxiety and depression)
by Russ Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 19 Nov. 2012
This book was recommended a few months ago while I was undergoing treatment for an eating disorder. My therapist lent me a copy but after a couple of chapters I bought my own so I could highlight passages and make notes. At the time I was extremely anxious, depressed and a shadow of myself. It has taken me quite a while to get through it and process all the information but it has been well worth it.
My life is so much better today, I no longer punish myself when I have a biscuit or some chocolate, I recognise all the thoughts and stories as and when they pop into my mind - and I can see them for what they really are - just words! I no longer see myself as a terrible person, I am finally confident in work and believe that I do a good job. A huge step for me has been standing up to people and fighting my corner (when I'm right) and I feel so much better for it. People also respect me now as a result.
I really recommend this book and hope it helps you as much as it has me. I'm now waiting on a delivery of 3 more of Russ Harris' books!