Profile for fankhauser > Reviews

Content by fankhauser

fankhauser (Melbourne, Australia)

Colin Thompson, Insights Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Colin Thompson, Insights Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 15 Aug. 2012
Another delightfully whimsical and whimsically delightful puzzle by Colin Thompson!

This puzzle is a match to the puzzle "Doors Closed" - this one showing what lies behind each door. It's a very good quality puzzle which each piece interlocking quite snugly. The colours are nice and bright and the images suitably quirky!

If you love jigsaw puzzles and you love Colin Thompson - then you won't go wrong with this.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2013 8:21 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good distraction for a short while., 25 Dec. 2011
My 5 year old daughter loves these sticky mosaics! They are nice and bright, easy for little fingers and look great when finished and stuck on the wall. This mermaid one isn't as colourful as, say, the seahorse one but she does have a tiara as all good mermaids should! And a word of advice - don't throw away the leftover pieces as they will come in handy if you buy any other sticky mosaics. Also, you don't really have to follow the colours if you don't want - I put more blue on this mermaid picture than was required - just because I wanted to! As this picture is quite small, it doesn't take long to complete, maybe 20 minutes or so. All in all - it's lots of fun and a good distraction for a time. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Orb Factory Sticky Mosaics Seahorse
Orb Factory Sticky Mosaics Seahorse

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 25 Dec. 2011
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter as it's brightly coloured and easy for her to match the colour to the number. She loves these sticky mosaics - and she's very easily bored! A word of advice - don't throw away the leftover pieces as they come in handy for any other sticky mosaic picture you might have. I also don't necessarily follow the numbers: the seahorse's dorsal fin is supposed to have 2 colours but I just stuck to the purple as it was nice and glittery and bright. However, I do agree with the previous reviewer - for the metallic colours, the top part of it peels off very easily which is annoying. However - I thoroughly recommend these as they are nice and bright, easy for little fingers and look great on the wall when finished!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fantastic Mr Fox [Blu-ray]
Fantastic Mr Fox [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars A review by a parent of a 4 year old ... (Spoilers), 27 Jan. 2011
The good:

* The animation is really rather wonderful. If you are grew up with the old Rankin & Bass classics every Christmas and Easter and/or are a fan of the weirdness of Tim Burton, then I think you'll like this. It is fairly "jerky" but I think that's just a part of its charm.

* The blu ray is crystal clear. You can see every hair on each animal, every leaf on every tree really stands out etc. The clarity of the picture is just fantastic.

* I actually quite liked George Clooney! There, I've said it! A lot of people hated him and felt he was just being lazy and revising his Ocean's 11 character but I thought he was actually quite good and really suited the part of the cheeky Mr Fox.

The bad:

* The whole film is shot in oranges and browns and that's pretty much it. There were a few night scenes that had a nice rich blue but otherwise, I felt, it was lacking in colour. Other people might feel that that too is just a part of the film's charm but I had to go outside and stare at my lawn for a while to remember what the colour green looks like! So it may not hold the attention of young kids for too long.

* The character of the animal children are voiced by adults. Now that may not bother some / most people but it did bother me. The character of Mr Fox's son Ash (voiced by Jason Schwartzman) was just creepy! I just think children's characters should be voiced by ... well ... children.

* The character of Rat (voiced by Willem Dafoe) might be too scary for littlies especially when he pulls out a flick knife. Rat also refers to Mr Fox's wife as "the town tart in her day". Try explaining that to your kid when they turn to you and ask "what's a town tart?" ...

The ugly:

* The constant (and irritating) use of the word "cuss". Here's an example of just one scene (Mr Fox has an argument with his lawyer Badger (Bill Murray)): "I'm going to ignore your advice" "The cuss you are" "The cuss am I, are you cussing with me?" "No, are you cussing with me?" "Don't cussing point at me" "Don't cuss with me you little cuss" ... And this is just one scene. Believe me - it's right through the whole film. I mean if you're going to swear, then swear but this really isn't appropriate in a film aimed at children.

* Here are a couple of lines that I was very surprised to find in a movie aimed at children: "Those farmers aren't going to quit until they've got you and every member of your family nailed upside down to a bloody stick with your eyes gouged out." and "But at the end, he's just another dead rat in a garbage pail behind a Chinese restaurant."

I gave this four stars because I actually quite liked The Fantastic Mr Fox but if I had known about some of the lines in it, I would not have let my 4 year old watch it. This is really a quirky film for adults rather than a traditional film for kids.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 10:04 AM GMT

Hansel And Gretel [DVD]
Hansel And Gretel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeong-myeong Cheon
Offered by The World Cinema Store

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a lovely idea for a film but a tad too long, 29 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Hansel And Gretel [DVD] (DVD)
The first half of this movie is really quite fabulous - a great twist on a well known fairytale with wonderful imagery and a sense of creeping dread.

However it goes on for too long and the ending is really, really schmaltzy. The sort of second half of a movie where you start doing the "leg-shake" and sighing and murmuring to yourself "come on" in that whiney tone that kids use.

Also the transfer onto DVD disc is not that great. In fact, it's pretty bad. Now I'm not an expert in "techy-type" things but it was really distracting having the quality go from quite dark (so that you'd think about stopping the film and messing around with your remote to increase the brightness) to all of a sudden quite bright.

All in all, it was a fantastic idea with nice imagery but it just went for too long with a cloying ending and the quality isn't good. Hire it instead.

Re-Cycle [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Re-Cycle [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Angelica Lee
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-freakin' real ..., 13 Sept. 2010
This is one totally freak-arse film. I absolutely loved it and couldn't recommend it highly enough - but only if you don't like the usual Hollywood fare. And by that, I mean it's really a film for people who thought Avatar was a crock.

I reckon someone involved in the making of Avatar got their idea for the floating islands from this film just quietly.

This is just one trippy, freaky, weird, excellent, mind-blowing, awesome film.

GET IT !!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2010 11:08 AM GMT

Splash [DVD] [1984]
Splash [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 year old LOVES this movie ..., 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Splash [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
I remember seeing this movie AT THE MOVIES - yes I'm THAT old !!

It was showing on the television one Sunday afternoon and my daughter was entranced! She kicked and screamed up a fuss when the ads came on. She just stared and stared at Daryl Hannah (ie Madison) so I thought I'd look around to see if it was on DVD. I thought I'd find in bargain bins at local department stores but to no avail. When I saw it here on Amazon.uk and at such a cheap price, I snapped it up.

I'm very happy with the price and it was delivered in next to no time at all.

Suffice to say, this movie is my daughter's obsession! She has now developed a love of all things mermaid.

And a note to any parents - this movie is perfect for young children. There are no sex scenes, no swearing, no violence. It's just a really fun movie with some sad bits and happy bits complete with a happy ending.

A lovely film that my 3 year old daughter watches again and again and again.