Profile for Harriet > Reviews

Doctor Who - Complete Series 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith
Price: 13.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Moffat is bringing Doctor Who down., 26 Oct 2011
I used to love this show. It was one of my favourite shows, and the series with Russell T Davies and the Tenth Doctor remain so. But since series 5, Doctor Who has gone downhill. In my opinion, this is purely down to the writer Steven Moffat. His one-off stories were mostly brilliant. But for an entire series, his writing is poor. He seems determined to fit all of his story ideas into 13 episodes. A lot of them do show some promise but when all together, it just gets confusing and too complicated. I'm all for long-running story arcs but when you have four or five at a time, you lose track. Moffat has pushed away the casual viewer and this has clearly been proven in the ratings.

Doctor Who seems to have been turned into the River Who show. She turns up in what feels like every other episode and there's no getting rid of her! Her story regarding the Doctor and her love for him is ridiculous. The supposed "wedding" in the finale episode was ludicrous. For starters it wasn't even a real wedding and there was absolutely no need for it. Moffat is trying to force this couple onto viewers but because hardly any of their supposed relationship has been shown on screen, viewers cannot see their "love". Which, in my opinion, is clearly very one-sided.

'Let's Kill Hitler' and 'The Wedding Of River Song' were stupid episodes. Let's Kill Hitler barely even had Hitler in it (and he was turned into a joke) and the title was misleading. This had the promise for a brilliant story. The Wedding of River Song was very disappointing. We have this huge build up to how the Doctor is stopped from dying (obviously, he was never going to die) and it turns out to be an obvious solution that anyone could have thought of!

I quite enjoyed 'The Impossible Astronaut' (which pushed us to think we were getting a brilliant series that never came) and 'A Good Man Goes To War' (superb acting from Karen Gillan, an excellent storyline but so sad, although I couldn't quite see what was the Doctor's 'darkest hour' as he seemed pretty happy most of the time). And after all that build up of who River was, the answer turned out to be another obvious one. Rory and Amy's relationship was explored nicely and Amy is brilliant companion, my personal second favourite behind Rose who will always be my all-time favourite. But these were the only positives of the series and unfortunately the negatives far outweighed the positives.

If rumours turn out to be true and Amy and Rory aren't returning next series then I will be switching off. They're the only things now that keep me watching. The rest of what Doctor Who once was seems to have vanished.

Get rid of River, get rid of Moffat and please give us back our show! I desperately miss the good old Who days with David Tennant and Billie Piper. That is when Doctor Who was truly at its best.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 10:47 PM BST

Waterloo Road Series Six - Spring Term [DVD]
Waterloo Road Series Six - Spring Term [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amanda Burton
Price: 15.35

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best series yet! Especially spring term., 11 April 2011
This series was definitely one of the best yet! I have watched it right from series 1 and it has always been one of my favourite programmes. The first few series were the best (along with 6) in my opinion and in series 3 and 4, many of my favourite characters left (Chlo, Mika and Maxine especially) and series five wasn't one of my favourite series. However series 6 has really bought it back for me! Although I was quite surprised at them winning the National Television Award over Doctor Who (who has won every year since it started again in 2005), after this stunning spring term, I realised just how far Waterloo Road has come since the first series. This cast is one of the best ever and I love the new Fisher family. I was especially pleased to hear that Tina O'Brien and Linzey Cocker were joining the cast and in spring term, we really get to see a lot of Tina's character, Bex. I think that storyline was handled really well and I loved the mystery in why she left. I really enjoyed those few episodes where it came to a conclusion. My favourite storyline however (favourite overall yet) was that of the relationship between Cesca and Jonah. It just broke my heart to see them torn apart. Episodes 19 and 20 are two of my all time favourite episodes of Waterloo Road. Their performances are stunning and I am so glad that they were able to get married. I am sad however that we don't get to know what happens after now Cesca has been arrested. I knew a while back that they weren't returning in series 7 but I wish they were! They made such a cute couple. I am glad to hear that Jess, Chris and Sambuca are coming back - I hoped that Bex would be too but she isn't. I cannot wait for series 7 and have heard that it may even be starting in May (2011) so fingers crossed!

I have pre-ordered this DVD and really hope to see some extra special features on it. Such as some more outtakes on top of the ones in the Autumn Term, some deleted scenes and cast interviews.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2011 3:57 PM BST

Groov-e GV9900PP Retro Classic Style Headphones - Pastel Pink
Groov-e GV9900PP Retro Classic Style Headphones - Pastel Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, great value for money and excellent sound quality!, 6 April 2011
These headphones are very comfortable and I have worn them for a while without my ears aching. The sound quality is great and these are definitely worth the money! They look stylish as well, which is an added bonus. They're an affordable price and definitely great value for money. You get more than what you pay for! The cable is a good length and is fine for me using my laptop. I would definitely recommend these headphones.

Doctor Who: The Shooting Scripts
Doctor Who: The Shooting Scripts
by Russell T Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money!, 6 April 2011
This book was massive and so excellent value for money! (I bought new at 8). It included all the scripts of series one clearly laid out. The stories in Doctor Who are amazing! I am a huge fan and would recommend this to any Doctor Who fan - even if you aren't a massive fan but still watch it. I really hope that at some point they'll release books for the other series.

BBC, PLEASE DO ONE FOR SERIES 2 AND 4! :)

Doctor Who - Series 4 Volume 4 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Series 4 Volume 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by themediamerchants
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Unmissable Episodes!, 17 Mar 2011
Three fantastic episodes of Doctor Who! What really stole the show for me was the Doctor and Rose meeting again. It is clear from the beginning of 'Turn Left' and more at the beginning of 'Stolen Earth' of their desperation to meet again, even more so because they're closer to meeting than ever before.
'Turn Left' is a great insight into how the world would fall apart without the Doctor and this shows what an amazing man the Doctor is. The fabulous Billie Piper returns as Rose Tyler and is a guide for Donna. The best of Donna's character is brought out in this episode and we really see how the Doctor has transformed her life for the better, like he did for Rose. I love the ending of this episode, where the Doctor realises that Donna has met Rose, and we get the return of Bad Wolf.
For me, 'Stolen Earth' is the best of the 3 episodes and one of my all time favourite episodes of Doctor Who. Right from the start, you see that even though the Earth is in great danger, you can still tell the Doctor's desperation to find Rose or at least speak to her again. We see the return of many familiar faces; Torchwood with Captain Jack, Jackie, Mickey, Martha, Sarah Jane, Harriet Jones. The moment in which the Doctor and Rose run towards each other is just magical.
I enjoyed the finale `Journey's End' as well as it brings an ending to all of the companions of series 1-4 stories. I liked how the Doctor and Rose got some time on screen together just them. I like the moment where Martha asks who the girl with the Doctor is (Rose) and Rose tells her, and then she says `Oh my god, he found you'. I love the look Rose gives the Doctor and it lets Rose know that the Doctor never stopped thinking about her. The idea of the three Doctors was genius and a great way to save the world! I love the scene in the Tardis with all of the companions together. Rose's ending was a disappointment for me though as she just got fobbed off with a clone Doctor. I loved parts of his scene though. Like where the Doctor says how Rose made him better. And he made such a sacrifice for her as the real Doctor wanted to be with her but instead he gave her the clone Doctor so that she'd have someone to live her entire life and grow old with. You know what they say, if you love someone let them go. I think this was a great example of that. I would have loved it if the Doctor could have told her he loved her out loud as we all knew that what's he was saying! And I would have also loved it if the one kissing her was the real Doctor.
The only thing that let it down for me is that I think they could have done more with Rose's return. This has been waited for all through series 3 and 4 and Rose is a character that hasn't been forgotten. Although I loved having all the companions together, I think it would have been nice to have had an episode with just Rose & the Doctor to give her character a proper ending, as I don't believe she truly got one.
New writer Steven Moffat saying that the companions from series 1-4 were overused is a load of rubbish and sadly, series 5 has ruined Doctor Who for me. The character of the Doctor has completely changed and he doesn't seem to take anything seriously anymore. The only thing that would make me watch it again is if Rose were to return or a new decent Doctor arrives. As you can probably tell, I am a massive fan of the Doctor & Rose and whether you are or not, I would still really recommend buying this DVD!

Girls Aloud - Out Of Control Live From The O [DVD] [2009]
Girls Aloud - Out Of Control Live From The O [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Girls Aloud
Price: 13.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Girls Aloud are amazing! <3, 16 Mar 2011
I have been to all of their concerts and all have been some of the best concerts I've ever seen! This one really topped it for me though. It really just proves that people from reality TV competitions can go onto great success. I would definitely recommend this to any Girls Aloud fan!

Doctor Who - The New Series - Series 2 - Vol. 5 [DVD] [2005]
Doctor Who - The New Series - Series 2 - Vol. 5 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and emotional <3, 16 Mar 2011
Fear Her. 10/10
An excellent episode with a bit of humour between the Doctor and Rose thrown in. Even though there are no obviously there monsters, it still manages to be frightening, because children are involved. I liked the setting of the London Olympics in 2012. The Doctor and Rose are oblivious of the heartbreak that is to come.

Army of Ghosts & Doomsday. 10/10
What's better than a huge battle between the Cybermen and Daleks? But for me, that didn't steal the show. What stole the show for the me is the heartbreaking end to the Doctor and Rose's adventures. You also see Rose's parents reunited, which is a bonus. The scene in Bad Wolf bay made me cry and the chemistry between Billie Piper and David Tennant is stunning. It was so sad when he never got to say 'I Love You' back. Billie will hugely be missed and I believe much of the success of series 1 and 2 has been down to her - she is the best companion Doctor Who has ever had.

I definitely recommend buying this DVD, and the entire series!
In my opinion, this is the best series of Doctor Who. <3

Spirit Trap [DVD]
Spirit Trap [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billie Piper
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb acting from Billie Piper!, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: Spirit Trap [DVD] (DVD)
Great story, although a little on the weird side.
Lots of surprises and superb acting from Billie Piper.
I enjoyed this film. :)

Doctor Who -- The Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Doctor Who -- The Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Smith
Price: 11.70

2.0 out of 5 stars This isn't the Doctor we know and love..., 12 Feb 2011
I was hugely disappointed by Series 5, having hoped for big things from new writer Steven Moffat after his excellent stories in Series 1, 3 and 4 (I wasn't that keen on "The Girl in the Fireplace" in series 2), especially the two parter, "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances". The new Doctor is especially disappointing and I didn't like his silly attitude and he now seems to lack any emotion like we see in series one to four by the excellent 9th and 10th Doctor. The tenth Doctor was left heartbroken by the loss of Rose in series 2 and when she returned in series 4, he was definitely reluctant to let her go. Rose was clearly the love of the Doctor's life however now we come to series 5, Rose seems to have completely been forgotten. And why? Purely due to Steven Moffat's personal opinions on the character. According to him, she was needy and overused. If so, then why was she such a huge success in series 1, 2 and 4? Actress Billie Piper (who plays Rose) also won the Most Popular Actress both years she was a regular in a full series (2005 and 2006). The Doctor has many of the emotions that a human has so would you really just forget the love of your life overnight? The only slight mention of series 1-4 was cut from the episode and instead placed in `Deleted Scenes'!

Series one to four bought in loads of awards for Doctor Who. At the National Television Awards, they won Most Popular Drama for five years in a row, every year since Doctor Who began again in 2005. Then we come to 2011 and a much lower profile BBC show `Waterloo Road' wins the award. It is also the first year that the actor playing the Doctor didn't win any award.

The stories were actually alright and I liked the different story with companion Amy. My favourite episode was probably Amy's choice which had an interesting and unique storyline. But for me, the character of the emotionless 11th Doctor and no mention of series 1-4 ruined it. This is disappointing because I am obsessed with series 1, 2 and 4 and can't stop watching them!

At this rate, Doctor Who will soon be axed once again which will be a great disappointing for so many loyal fans. Series 1-4 was amazing (especially series 2) and I can't stop watching them! I really hope that the longest running science-fiction TV programme loved by so many is returned to us soon...

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, 2010 Christmas Special  [2010] [DVD]
Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, 2010 Christmas Special [2010] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith
Offered by 101Trading
Price: 3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse Doctor Who episode ever!, 12 Feb 2011
Very disappointing. The episode lacked drama and action. In my opinion, this is the worst episode of Doctor Who ever since it started again in 2005.
I really dislike Matt Smith as the Doctor and for this reason, I don't enjoy Doctor Who as much anymore. Which is a real shame as series 1 to 4 are simply amazing! David Tennant war FAR better.
I am also so disappointed at new writer Moffat. I think he is so much better reserved for single episodes and two parters. A whole series of his writing is just too much and way too complicated. He risks losing the casual viewer.

Page: 1 | 2