Profile for dcef79 > Reviews

Content by dcef79

dcef79 (Newcastle, England)

Page: 1 | 2
teKKno® Protective Shock Proof Stylish Dual Case Cover And LCD Guard for Apple iPod Touch 4 4G 4TH GEN / Purple
Offered by teKKno

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, excellent protection, 30 Dec 2013
Xmas present for my wife. Always dropping ipods, mobile phones etc so she asked for a better case/cover.

Saw this and liked the design, a fan of purple, she loved it too. Didn't take loads of effort to get the iPod into it but will hold it nicely and securely. Great quality finish, good thickness, should do the job for a good while.

Worth the money, looks the part, does the job.

Tension Family Edition Board Game
Tension Family Edition Board Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple fun for all, 30 Dec 2013
We have a tradition of getting together with family and playing board games on Xmas Eve but have largely been playing the same few games for years. We have tried new games but they have never quite made the grade due to being too complicated, too difficult for some of the family or too hard to play once we have had a drink or two ;-)

We bought this and after creating a simplified version of the rules (girls vs boys, ignore bonus squares, one square per right answer first to the middle wins) we had a ball. We ended up playing this for over two hours including drinks breaks and banter but it kept its appeal because it is so simple in its premise.

The categories are all the kind of thing you think you should be able to ace but there's always one or two obvious answers you forget/overlook.

Very simple, very good fun, very accessible, always feel like you're in with a shot - the perfect ingredients for a good family game.

Foinn Seisiún 1: Traditional Irish Session Tunes
Foinn Seisiún 1: Traditional Irish Session Tunes

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference tool, 22 Nov 2013
Bought this CD as I was starting to go to trad sessions and was struggling to get decent copies of the tunes they were playing. I'd searched for tracks I knew and found that some were off this CD so bought the whole thing.

I often put music on my mp3 player and listen to it on my way to and from work so that the music submilinally gets stuck in my head and then when I try to learn to play the track, I have a good sense of how it goes.

This worked brilliantly with this CD my only gripe was that the tracks go immediately into one another so if you only have a few tracks to learn they create quite a jarring change as the track changes from one to another.

A greast resource that I regularly find myself going back to as I ocme across new tunes. Much more useful than the 2nd CD in this range but unsure whether that's because the second CD doesn't include as many common tunes or whether that's because this CD includes more of the tunes I have come across so far - you know what it's like with sessions, one man's rarity is another's 'done to death' tune.

Well recommended as a teaching/learning resource. Not so hot as a CD to listen to for listening sake due to the lack of gaps and the very short track lengths.

Pros:

Lots of tracks
Lots of which are very common tunes

Cons:

No gaps between tracks (can be jarring if you only put a selection on your player)
Tracks are nearly all very very short (making it harder to learn by playing along unless you use a repeat function).

Overall: 8/10.

20pcs Alice Smooth Nylon 0.71mm Guitar Picks Plectrums
20pcs Alice Smooth Nylon 0.71mm Guitar Picks Plectrums
Offered by FamilyMall (8-23 shipping days)

3.0 out of 5 stars Value for money but small points to note, 18 July 2013
20 picks for around half what I would normally pay for 12 Dunlop .71s? Worth a go.

They came in good time, had anice assortment of colours but were noticably stiffer than the dunlop picks I normally use.

Buyer beware if like me you are looking to keep teh same thickness but try a different brand - they may be .71mm but are firmer/stiffer than dunlops and ever so slightly wider/longer.

This may not matter to some but may make a difference to some players. I mainly use tehse for mandolin now as they give a louder note than the more flexible, softer .07s I was using.

30 X Acoustic Electric Guitar Picks Plectrums 0.71mm
30 X Acoustic Electric Guitar Picks Plectrums 0.71mm
Offered by netSells

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning value for money, 18 July 2013
Been using .71mm picks for years but the Dunlop ones I use are an awful pink colour so I thought I would try some different brands.

When I saw these I couldn't resist it.

I have to pay £6.99 for 12 of the picks I usually use but here I would get 30 for under half that price!

Pros:
They arrived in good time (much faster than the original delivery estimate).

They are actually a really nice quality.

There's lost of them for half what I normally have to pay for 12.

The green ones look particularly cool. (Personal taste I know).

Cons:
The picture makes it looks like a nice mix of colours however the pack I got were mainly blue, red and green. Very few white or purple. A minor niggle but could matter to some buyers.

They may still only be .71mm thick but are definitely larger (wider, longer) than the Dunlop piks I usually use. Again, not a problem for me particularly but may matter to some buyers.

In short, well worth getting.

Green 'Nylon Series' Nylon Guitar Strap for Electric/Acoustic/Bass Guitar
Green 'Nylon Series' Nylon Guitar Strap for Electric/Acoustic/Bass Guitar
Offered by 1to1music

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for money, 18 July 2013
Needed a green guitar strap for a band I just joined (long story) but I didn't want to spend a lot of money because if I'm honest, if i'm not playing with that particular band then I'm never going to use a bright green strap!

I saw this and figured that being under £5, this might be worth a go. If it didn't end up being very good quality then it wouldn't be a huge waste and would always do as an emergency spare.

First of all, it came really quickly after I ordered it - always a good thing.

Secondly, this is a great quality strap. Great value for money at £5 and would be great value for money for twice that amount.

The ends are a nice quality and feel really sturdy. The strap material is smooth and again, feels like quality you would normally expect to spend more than this on.

In short, a very high quality strap for this price - well worth £5 of any guitarist's money.

Walk The Road
Walk The Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome song, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Walk The Road (MP3 Download)
One of the best she's ever recorded. Anthemic. Buy it, learn it, sing it, live it. I play it at a local folk club all the time and it is hugely popular. Plan to sing it at the Langdale Folk Festival this year too.

Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (PS3)
Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (PS3)
Offered by 1stvideo

3.0 out of 5 stars Intermediate level players beware, 4 Jan 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
There are some excellent reviews on here about the pros and cons of the game but none touch on this subject. WARNING: If you are an intermediate level guitarist or above then you need to be careful how you approach this game and it may not even be for you at all.

I bought this as I am a fairly capable player but liked the idea of learning lots of new songs and having a way to play/practice the ones I already know. I also liked the idea of learning the riffs, licks and solos to things like Sweet Home Alabama properly instead of my own versions I picked up by ear.

Problem 1: I started with Satisfaction and aced it. I already know how to play this pretty basic song pretty well and I was soon going from one note per bar to lots of notes and hitting them all. However I went straight to the next song after two runs through Satisfaction and was immediately expected to be able to play a song I've never heard before at full speed with a load of notes and unfamiliar symbols flying across the screen. I later found out that these were hammer/pulls etc but it was a LEAP in difficulty level like something not right. Intermediate guitarists will struggle moving from songs they have heard/played before to songs they haven't.

Problem 2: I worked out by simply fiddling around with the game's different features that you could practice each section slowly at speed you decide yourself. But the game should be far better structured than it is and it should actually direct you to this way of thinking. Instead I really feel like although it makes recommendations of what to do next it should far more readily give you suggestions about what to do next. It feels like being able to go straight to the last level of a platform game just because you did well on the first level without realising that the last level contains traps, switches and puzzles that you do not learn how to defeat/complete until 3/4 of the way through the game...and then finding out that hidden away in a sub menu is a mode to train you how to use the switches. You may have known that the training mode was there but how are you supposed to know when you are supposed to use it? All levels of players will struggle with the order in which to access each of the game's features.

Problem 3: Slightly a continuation of #2 but I went to the techniques section and spent a good while playing around with the slides, bends, position switching etc - all of the stuff I'm fairly decent at 'in real life'. because I did so well, I went back to play a song and the difficulty level was again through the bloomin' roof!!! The difficulty level should not increase in playing a full song just because I played a few exercises well. Again, especially when it's a song that I've never heard before. It feels like a dance instructor yelling dance steps you've never heard of at you really fast and really loudly just because you did your favourite dance (that you've done for years) really well. Intermediate players will struggle as good technique again means you are expected to be able to play every song at a high level instantly.

Problem 4: Yes you can play a song slowly one section at a time but if you really know the first half of a section and it's only a small element of that section (the second half of the Sweet Home Alabama solo for example) that you struggle with, you will be forced to play through the bit you do know before you get to even look at the bit you don't know. And even then, once you've successfully navigated the unknown part, you have to play the known part again to get back to the bit you were trying to learn. This is not how you teach or learn guitar. Show us the TAB for the bits we don't know, let us pick the start and end point for the loops. Intermediate players will struggle as they cannot isolate the parts they don't know.

Problem 5: The biggest problem

The presentation of the frets in game is awful. Yes, you can turn the strings around to be shown as they would in guitar tab but when playing a song you do not see guitar tab. You see rectangles on strings and must learn to associate a specific colour with each string before you'll get anywhere on this game. Slides do not look like slides on guitar tab. Bends are poorly presented and it is not clear whether they are semi-tone or whole-tone bends. Fret numbers come and go and due to the 3D nature of the presentation it is often unclear whether the note is on the 3rd or 4th fret. The biggest gripe is that it does not show note names or show you what key you're in. If it could have said that I was in G then my knowledge of scales would have told me which fret it was. Having colours, moving frets, unfamiliar and unclear symbols for slides, hammers, pulls, etc fly past at full speed on an unfamiliar song is not helpful at all.

Intermediate players: try before you buy. Watch Youtube videos if you can and try to play along with in-game videos of songs you've never heard before - you'll see what I mean.

I'll stick with it as I'm a huge fan of the guitar and can be quite determined not to be beaten but I doubt that everyone in my situation will do the same - especially as it means reprogramming the PS3 to go through the scart cable every time I want to play this game and back to HDMI every time I want to play a blu ray or play a different game!

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
by James Luceno

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best written SW books yet but be prepared..., 27 Nov 2012
Let's be honest - Darth Sidious is a character with a name taken from the word, 'insidious', i.e. sly, crafty, subtly treacherous. His strength in the Star Wars Universe was his behind the scenes manipulation of people. He had a gift for this but clearly his master was the same. The Sith grand plan was to slowly take over the galaxy through insidious behaviour and patience....so...

When reviews of this book complain about it being a little slow from time to time and when they complain about the book getting a little too heavily into the political and economic manipulations of the two main Sith characters, just ask yourself - where's the surprise and what did you expect?!

This book does have action. It does have drama and yes, it does have one or two 'big' words that will send some people heading for a dictionary. BUT, it is a very good book. It is one of the best written books in terms of character development, setting scenes and explaining loose ends. It is absolutely worth buying and is absolutely worth sticking with even if you didn't expect a book about a sly, devious manipulator to be so subtle, patient or thought-provoking. If you want things blowing up and oodles of lightsaber battles then there are SW books for that. If you want an insight into the back story of one of the most cunning and manipulative characters in the SW universe then get this book!

Choices of One (Star Wars (Del Rey))
Choices of One (Star Wars (Del Rey))
by Timothy Zahn
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book - keeps you guessing, 27 Nov 2012
I enjoyed Allegiance. Many people didn't but I did.

With that in mind I happily bought this to fill the time before the Darth Plagueis book came out in paperback.

Short summary is that this book is rather good. It has a villain with a hidden identity that keeps you guessing and is a good reveal. It teases Mara Jade and Luke crossing paths in a clever way that doesn't feel contrived. It has just enough references to the films to keep it a part of the bigger stories and is quite well written.

The description on the back cover that says, 'a game of betrayals within betrayals' is a good tease that plays out nicely too.

I enjoyed it, it didn't take too long to read, it added to the 'bigger story' and developed a number of characters both new and familiar. Good stuff. Not exactly a brilliant book like the first Bane book, Darth Plagueis or Outbound Flight but well worth a quick read.

Page: 1 | 2