Profile for Shakera1611 > Reviews

Ten Things I Love About You
Ten Things I Love About You
by Julia Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fabulous, 5 July 2010
Since I discovered Julia Quinn over a year ago, I've devoured her books up. Not one of her novels has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, to put it simply she's brilliant. I've been waiting for this book since Sebastian was first introduce in What Happens In London and was not disappointed in the least.

I'll not bother with a recount of the story as there are already many. What I will do is disagree with the surprising amount of bad/middling reviews. One of my biggest worries with this book was that it would be an anti-climax just as Romancing Mr Bridgerton was. I don't mean to imply that RMB was a terrible novel, but more that Quinn's way of making Colin's character more complex didn't appeal to me. I thought Sebastian would be portrayed the same way but his character really makes a lot of sense and you can really emphasise with him.

In this genre it's so easy to hate the heroine for the smallest little things, and whilst Annabel did have bad habitats they were easily forgiveable and added to her character. I particularly liked the lists involved in the book and would have loved to have seen more of them further into the book. I disagree with another reviewers view that they were unnecessary because they essentially had nothing to do with the plot. What makes Quinn's books so brilliant it the character quality. Unlike other writers she doesn't have a hundred different storylines occuring simultaneously, the magic in her books are the characters. The lists give the reader a clear insight into the character and are also humorous. I'd go so far as to say they were essential to the story - I mean the book is called "10 Things I Love About You", a list or two was bound to come up.

Whilst many writers do use too many Americanisms in books I do not see this as a criticism I can make against Quinn. Generally she avoids the major traps other writers fall into and it is clearly evident she has done a lot of research. I'm also sure I read that Quinn attended a boading school in England which has also probably influenced her in this regard. Most books you pick up nowadays are so full of awful phrases that a British reader has to cringe and think that the Americans are ruining our language. Quinn though cannot be accused of this - yes she makes the occassional error but she IS American at the end of the day and therefore WILL murder the English language at some point.

So to conclude; a wonderful book! The only disappointment is that this will be hard to forget thus I'll have to wait even longer before re-reading.