Profile for guypan > Reviews

Content by guypan

guypan (Derbyshire, England)

The Ramblings and Rants of a Middle-Aged Mum (The Ramblings and Rants of A Middle Aged Mum Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 13 Dec. 2012
great reading for anyone with low concentration levels , and poor memory. Lighthearted humour . A book that can be dipped into.

GNV FLA
GNV FLA
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Back On The Saddle, 23 Dec. 2008
This review is from: GNV FLA (Audio CD)
GNV FLA is LTJ's latest offering, and it's definately a step in the right direction. Their last outing (In With The Out Crowd) saw a mauling from fans (myself included), as LTJ seemed to sell out big time. Half of the album was so sickly that I had to take breaks inbetween on my initial listen to stop myself throwing up. The other half would've been fine had it not been for the 'popped' up sound production, especially on the vocals and horns. It was just cringing to listen to.. I really wasn't going to buy this album at all..

..but as it happened, I got bought it as a birthday present in Summer so.. yeah. I wasn't complaining mind you - free s00f pl0x!
Anyway, initial listen of GNV was a good one. I sat with a smile on my fave for the hour it was playing because it was so, so SOO much better than IWTOC, and closely resembling Anthem in the sound quality, which is still a bit to 'sweet' for my liking, but definately listenable. Horns were nicely prodominant on most (if not all) songs, which is a bonus - and the tour to support the album was an absolute gem. The lads are back; Long Live The Jake!

Borders & Boundaries
Borders & Boundaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably not LTJ's best album, but my favourite out the lot!, 23 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Borders & Boundaries (Audio CD)
LTJ are one of my all time favourite bands, and have been a joy to listen to over the past years. After listening to all their records from Pezcore to the new GNVFLA, the progression is interesting to note.
They started out extremely raw and spontaneous, and have gradually become more and more accessible (to the point of the sickly sweet sound production of 'In With The Out Crowd' BLEUGH).
I consider this album to be not only the middle ground in terms of time, but also in their sound. It's the perfect balance of their distinctive sound and familiar song topics, without being either too polished, or too raw (though, I do like my music raw ;)

The entire album feels like one big story of events in LTJ's lives, which is how it should be, and their aren't really any duff tracks on here either. Even the ones that you probably don't like as much you will still listen to because they work so well in the album. Okay, there are days when I can sit and yap my head off about how fantastic 'Hello Rockview', 'Losing Streak' or 'Anthem' are.. but in my heart of hearts, this album will stay my favourite.
LTJ at their finest.