Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard "richard24429" (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Marlowe Conspiracy: A Novel
The Marlowe Conspiracy: A Novel
Price: 1.53

2.0 out of 5 stars The poor writing is very distracting, 7 May 2014
It is hard to believe that this book was written by a professional author! Clearly he has completed some research to produce a credible plot, and at the end of the book explains some of the diversions from known or accepted facts. Unfortunately no effort has been put into correcting the many, many mistakes in the English. Some are hilarious ("flower girls sold bushels of lavender" [a bushel is a volume of dry goods equivalent to 8 gallons or 36 litres - can't get many of those in your flower basket!], "the chair... slammmed into a wall and fell dead to the floor", "the hymnbook... splashed to the floor", "itched by the faint-buzzing of flies", "their gold-tasseled shoes led the way") , others are inexcusable ("you're genius is staggering", "died blonde hair", "bread roles", "from the candelabra's surrounding her") and some are meaningless contradictions ("fake holy relics plundered from Jerusalem"). There are attempts to write dialogue in Elizabethan English ("Pray tell me which manner of thoughts bothers you now?"), but elsewhere modern americanisms are included. Scarsbrook is very fond of colons, but I don't think I found a single semi-colon. He also seems to have invented some words (bombilated, plaint). Despite the distractions, I did read the novel from cover to cover, I just wish Mr Scarsbrook had done the same before he published.

Epson C1750N AcuLaser Printer
Epson C1750N AcuLaser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 13 Mar 2013
Print quality is fantastic. Set-up was fast and easy, but it took me 10 minutes to diagnose and solve my only problem. It might be helpful to others if I explain. After successfully printing the test page I tried to print something of my own and repeatedly had a paper jam fault. The solution was to change the paper size, which is set to "letter" as the default (normal US paper size I assume), to A4 - very easy using the printer control panel/ wizard, once you realise what the problem is! I assume that when the size is set to something smaller than the paper you are using, the printer starts feeding the next sheet before the last has finished printing.

West Stick on Window Thermometer
West Stick on Window Thermometer
Offered by Big Red Toolbox
Price: 5.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheap product, 10 April 2012
Very useful and seems accurate. Fixes to outside of window very securely and mine has stood up to severe weather this winter. Unlike another reviewer, I thought it was obvious that I should position it so it was on a shaded window. Also I have no idea what the reviewer who describes the scale as "odd" means, I have no problem reading the temperature in celsius or fahrenheit to the nearest degree. A great device for a low price - I recommend it very highly.

ETI Window thermometer
ETI Window thermometer
Offered by ETI Ltd
Price: 2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, 10 April 2012
This review is from: ETI Window thermometer

Windows Vista, Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1, Upgrade Version (PC)
Windows Vista, Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1, Upgrade Version (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem free installation and Vista is great, 20 July 2008
I upgraded from Windows XP expecting problems and having to do a clean installation afterwards, but there were no problems at all. The installation ran smoothly and Vista ran perfectly.
The Windows Update found all the drivers and things I needed to run my peripherals. Every application installed on my PC still works perfectly. I have switched off "User Account Control" because it did prevent me checking email with Outlook and I couldn't be bothered to reinstall it.
I had started to have problems with XP, applications were opening slowly, sometimes I had to shut down the PC by holding down the power button, etc. Now with Vista, all the problems have gone and I am sure the PC is working much faster.
I am delighted.

Revolution [1985] (REGION 2 ) (PAL) [Dutch Import] [DVD]
Revolution [1985] (REGION 2 ) (PAL) [Dutch Import] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk
Price: 19.69

4.0 out of 5 stars I have to challenge the excessive negativity of the previous reviewer., 31 Mar 2008
I don't agree with Dr. Fritz Juengling's review but I resisted challenging him until he slipped his homophobia into his outburst of negativity. Okay, some of the accents were dodgy (I have a problem with Donald Sutherland's for sure), but the film is engaging and gritty. It is definitely worth watching.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2009 7:00 PM GMT

Love And Hate [DVD] [2006]
Love And Hate [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Samina Awan
Price: 8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I gained some insight into the racist mind, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Love And Hate [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Watching this excellent film gave me, for the first time, some understanding of what keeps racism alive - it is a subculture with pressures of its own. Being from a progressive, white and asian families my partner and I have never experienced any negativity about our own mixed race relationship, so public racism has been something we have never related to. Now I can see that the "wanting to belong" and the "need to please" explains both the problems for less educated/liberated asians and whites to admit to their own that they are attracted to someone fundamentally different. I think this film shows both sides that we are all human and respond to less superficial things when we find a soulmate. I missed the humour in the ending that another reviewer referred to, but I was left with a warm feeling combined with welling tears. I hope that skin colour and religious beliefs quickly cease to have any bearing on human relationships - at our core we are made of the same DNA and have the same moralities.

2012: Doomsday [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
2012: Doomsday [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Dale Midkiff

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this an attempt to convert us all?, 24 Mar 2008
One of the worst films I have ever seen. It is full of dialogue with a Christian theme, but it seems so corny. I kept wondering if it was meant to be comical, but I don't think it was. Even putting aside the god-squad speak the script was appalling - after five people manage to reach a Mayan temple in the middle of nowhere, having trekked through jungle or narrowly avoiding death, one gives birth and her helper says "I need a towel or something," a towel, please! I didn't get it, surely the bible-belt can afford to put together something more convincing than this cringey effort. Awful, awful, awful - bad script, dreadful acting, musical score that seems totally inappropriate much of the time, one of the visual effects seemed to consist of handfuls of straw blowing about in the middle of a major US city - I can't think of a single good thing to say about it!

Aspire AS3694, Intel Celeron 440, 15.4" TFT with Acer CrystalBrite screen, 512MB memory, 80GB Hard Disk Drive, DVD Super-Multi, Shared graphics, WiFi, 5 in 1 Card Reader,  Windows Vista Basic
Aspire AS3694, Intel Celeron 440, 15.4" TFT with Acer CrystalBrite screen, 512MB memory, 80GB Hard Disk Drive, DVD Super-Multi, Shared graphics, WiFi, 5 in 1 Card Reader, Windows Vista Basic

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't agree with the whingers, 30 Sep 2007
This laptop is great. Everything worked first time. Vista is very good. All my favourite software installed without any problems. The laptop connected easily to my home wireless network and the one at work. I did upgrade the RAM by installing another 512 MB, this noticeably speeded up the computer. I am running all of the Office 2007 applications and Norton - I like them all and paid for them as I would expect for these applications. I am a very happy buyer, I think I got a bargain for under 300.

Ararat [DVD] [2002] [2003]
Ararat [DVD] [2002] [2003]
Dvd ~ Charles Aznavour
Price: 4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and totally engaging, 6 Oct 2006
This review is from: Ararat [DVD] [2002] [2003] (DVD)
Unlike some reviewers I was completely drawn into the beautifully crafted movie. By describing the events in 1915 through contemporary characters who continue to be deeply affected by them, we can also feel their emotional upheavals. How can man be so cruel to man, why are the atrocities still denied by Turks, what could have been the reasons for so much hate, why are the excuses still put forward? The cinematic canvas is completed by recreations of the historical events in the 'film within the film', and the personal conflicts between the modern characters which have different levels of connection with the fate of Armenians in Turkey and their history. The film needs and deserves viewers who like to concentrate and have their own emotions stirred. Excellent acting and some beautiful photography - a delicious five-course meal of a film.

Page: 1 | 2