Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "eleeeesse" (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fluency in Number Facts - Facts and Games Years 1 & 2
Fluency in Number Facts - Facts and Games Years 1 & 2
by Peter Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Aug. 2014
I hate giving bad reviews but I just can't believe I paid for this book. First of all I've already found an error "5x10=25", errm no. But when they say this is a book of number facts that is literally what they mean. If you can tell your child the different numbers that add up to 17 for example, 1+16, 2+15, 3+14 then you don't need this book as these are some of the facts it informs you, and the rest of the numbers up to 20. The games at the back are better and why this is not a 1star review.

The Collector of Remarkable Stories
The Collector of Remarkable Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent find!, 3 Aug. 2014
Margie is the reluctant heroine of this story. She leads an interesting life, but it is in death that things get a little more exciting. She gets flung into Limbuss, a kind of purgatory style after life where she meets a cast of unlikely friends and some truly terrifying adversaries. As if it's not enough that Margie has no idea who she is and what she's supposed to be doing before long she has to go on a quest to "the darkest of all places".

This book is quite dark in places but there is such light in Margie and her travelling companions that things are never too bleak. This story is a triumph of humanity dealing with dark issues and unexpected burdens yet continuing on and keeping smiling.

The story is gripping, almost from the first page and the characters are well rounded and beautifully human with imperfections that make them more lovable.

Even if you are not usually a fan of this genre (like me) give it a read, you won't be disappointed!

Art of the Doodle: Discover Your Inner Artist - Includes Instructional Book and Guided Journal
by Eleanor Kwei

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really a guide book., 22 July 2014
I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed with this package. It might make a really good gift for a newbie but for someone who has done, journalling (not art journalling), zentangles and doodling for scrapbooking I already have better books. I was looking forward to the guided element as a way to get into art journalling and have my hand held and given ideas and to gradual get going on my own.

This pack is two books, one is a kind of instructional book about doodling and how to work it out but the zentangle books are perhaps more accessible and my favourite doodling book is still this one, (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doodling-Papercrafters-House/dp/160140560X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406055231&sr=8-1&keywords=doodling+for+papercrafters)

The journal itself is ok, but there are "doodles" across a lot of the pages, throughout the book which is kind of weird when you're supposed to be learning to make your own, and it's nothing special. I have seen a lot more beautiful journals out there.

So to sum up, this is a good set for someone starting out with no experience, other books or a journal already. If you have any of these things or a little experience then this may not be for you. In which case choose your own beautiful journal and I bet there are some good guided (free) online tutorials to help you start out. This will be my next step and I wish I had taken it before investing in this rather expensive set.

My Crochet Doll: A fabulous crochet doll pattern with over 50 cute crochet doll clothes and accessories
by Isabelle Kessedjian

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be disappointed!, 14 Jan. 2014
This book arrived this morning and I feel compelled to write a review straight away so other people don't feel disappointed when they get it. This book is 95 pages, "wow, what a lot of patterns!" No. Instructions and patterns start on page 60. the previous pages are photos. Beautiful photos, but the photos of what the projects are. (This is the only reason this book has not got 5 stars.)

That said and having got over the initial disappointment this is a great book and good value for money as there are a lot of patterns. The numerous photos ought to enable the readers to get their creations almost exactly the same as the examples. I would have preferred to see a few more photos on construction, especially creating hair. I really can't wait to start making things from this book, my daughter has already chosen which doll she wants and there is plenty of opportunity to use the creations in the book as a starting point, if your child would prefer a catwoman doll instead of a supergirl for example. There are some really cute accessories, including a teddy and a penguin which could be stand alone toys and almost anything the doll needs for her adventures.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 9:53 PM GMT

The Giant Jam Sandwich
The Giant Jam Sandwich
by Janet Burroway

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood classic, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Giant Jam Sandwich (Paperback)
I remember this book from when I was little and ordered it for my daughter (2yrs old) (despite my parents still having my old copy!) We love to read this story and my daughter loves to count the wasps and look at the details in the illustrations. While this book has a bit of an odd look, some might say dated, they are so detailed and really bring the story to life. The text is complete genius, lovely rhyming, and where else is your little one going to learn "pate" (as in part of a head). My daughter says the words along with me now, and "tells" the story to her toys. I hope my daughter can enjoy this story with her children!

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
by Charles Duhigg

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Interesting, 27 Jun. 2012
I bought this book after it was reviewed in the newspaper one weekend. This is very rare for me, but I've got some bad habits I want to change so why not? In my opinion there are 2 sides to this book, I was reading it looking for the answers, but like the author says there are no quick fixes for changing bad habits. However this book will give you the tools to evaluate your life and to make the changes you want to. I have only just finished reading it, so haven't made any changes yet. If there's one message this book is trying to convey, it's that you can change! And that's the second part of this book, really interesting research and stories illustrating the various aspects of habits, how they are used in big companies and how they have harmed and changed people's lives. This book is a really interesting read even if you have no interest in making changes to your life.

Dying Bites (Bloodhound Files)
Dying Bites (Bloodhound Files)
by D D Barant
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've read in a while!, 3 May 2012
I have to confess that this has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while. I can't even remember when I bought it but I recently was recommended the second book by Amazon and realised I hadn't actually read this. I read the back, and glanced over the reviews and reminded myself that if I'd previously started and abandoned it I could do the same again. I started it, yesterday and have just finished it. I haven't been able to put it down!

This is essentially a cop story, we've all read a few of them before. There are werewolves and vampires, nothing new about that. This book also has golems, which is a bit more unusual. But the real brilliance of this novel is that the heroine, Jace, is from our world, but the world the books are set in is a parallel universe where all these creatures and magic are out and about. The alternative history is very interesting and the fact that humans have ended up the minority species. This is such a completely new way of doing the paranormal cop story that I was completely thrilled to find it, even a bit late!! I'm just about to order any others in the series, what a find!!!!

I've Got Your Number
I've Got Your Number
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Book!, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
I took ages to buy this book. Having bought all her others in hardback it was on my wishlist but it's a lot of money. I don't know why I waited, this was COMPLETELY worth every penny. A really funny read, characters are both believable and warm. The story is well written and makes sense, I couldn't see what was coming but as the story unfolded it was perfect. I really can't recommend this book highly enough. A lot of people have talked about the footnotes in their reviews, they are a bit annoying until you get used to them, but you could choose not to read them and stick to the main text if you chose to. I finished this book this morning (I started it yesterday) very sad to have finished it, I might start reading it again...

Amigurumi Toy Box
Amigurumi Toy Box
by Ana Paula Rimoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit!, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Amigurumi Toy Box (Paperback)
I love this book. I have been eagerly awaiting it's arrival for weeks and now it's here. I have only made one thing so far, the duck, but there are so many beautiful things to choose from I found it hard to decide. It has everything you loved from her previous two books, great pictures, clear instructions and snippets from the author about how the patterns came to be and her girls. If you loved her other books, buy this, you won't be disappointed and if you haven't ever bought one of Ana Paula Rimoli's books, and love crochet and amigurumi then buy all three!!!!

Hooked for Life: Adventures of a Crochet Zealot
Hooked for Life: Adventures of a Crochet Zealot
by Mary Beth Temple

5.0 out of 5 stars You are not alone!, 13 May 2011
This book arrived this morning and I have just finished reading it! It is made up of short essays on a variety of crochet related topics, different projects on the go, stash, keeping little bits of wool that are hard to use up, passing on the addiction, etc.

Mary Beth Temple writes with humour and reading this, as well as making me laugh out loud and read those sections aloud to my husband, made me feel part of something, accepted, and that maybe my stash mountain isn't so bad.

This book would make a perfect gift for crocheters, or just buy it for yourself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3