Profile for Kai Hachiya > Reviews

Content by Kai Hachiya

Kai Hachiya "Speedy 1928" (Japan)

The Saint - The Complete Colour Series (14 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
The Saint - The Complete Colour Series (14 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars This is exactly what Roger Moore fans should add to their DVD shelf !, 6 Aug. 2008
Having been an ardent fan of Sir Roger Moore for nearly a decade, getting this DVD box was an exciting experience!

In my country, Sir Roger Moore is almost always remembered as James Bond due to the fact that very few of his other films are available and only a handful of big Roger Moore fans know this THE SAINT.

Thanks to the development of the Internet, we Asians living in the Far East can have access to what, for a long time, have been available only to those living in English speaking countries, and now that I've watched some of the many episodes included in this box , I can say that I really made a wise purchase.

I can strongly recommend this product for the below reasons:

1:The quality of the images is excellent, I mean they are beautifully re-mastered and the generous reduction on this excellent DVD box was also so attractive.

2:Sir Roger Moore as Simon Templar is very reminiscent of James Bond and it tells very well why, Ian Flemings, author of 007 wanted him to portray the role he created.

3:THE SAINT, in any form, DVD or video is not available in my country Japan and the possession of this legendary TV drama series often works as a excellent conversation starter especially when I meet British or American people of certain generations.

The only disappointing point is that each episode does not come with English subtitles. As a non-native speaker of English, omission of English subtitles forbids me full comprehension of audio materials.

In conclusion, my review may not be helpful as I wrote this from a Asian(non-native English speaker)'s point of view.

All I wish you to understand is that this is what you must have if you want to enjoy one of the treasures your culture(English speaking countries) has produced.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2012 9:48 PM BST

Harold Lloyd: The Definitive Collection [DVD]
Harold Lloyd: The Definitive Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harold Lloyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth purchasing just for the one talkie included exclusively in this UK version., 5 Aug. 2008
I was lambasted by my family for purchasing this DVD box as I had already possessed US version of this for about 3years .

Then why did I lay out money on this again? The reason is that of course I am an ardent admirer of Lloyd and this UK version is superior to its US counterpart in that it carries Lloyd's commemorative first talkie called "Welcome Danger" produced in 1929.

Now that I've enjoyed what I had long wanted to, I can say that it was worth getting it.

Living in Japan I don't have to use special device to watch this DVD box as my country shares the same region code for DVD with the UK.

However I only give four stars to evaluate. Why? Well,it is because unlike the US version, each film is not accompanied by English subtitles and thus I find, as a non-native speaker of English, it is very disappointing and inconvenient the omission of English subtitles forbids me full appreciation of the talkies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2008 5:57 PM BST