Profile for RosP > Reviews

Content by RosP

RosP

The Killing Room (The China Thrillers Book 3)
The Killing Room (The China Thrillers Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Difficult Decision, 27 Aug 2013
I found this book very difficult to rate, so hedged my bets and settled for 3 stars. Peter May always tells a good story and keeps you reading. I like his characters, who have real lives as well as chasing murderers. I like his depictions of China; this book is set in Shanghai. But, as usual, you will need a strong stomach for some graphic detail and a blow by blow account of an autopsy. Not everybody's cup-of-tea. Do I want to read the next book in the China series? I'm not sure. Probably I will, I want to know what happens to the characters!

A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading, 16 July 2013
I find the Serrailer novels impossible to put down - except when the tension gets too much! I like her characterisation, family background to the characters,their believable lives, and she composes the plots very skilfully. However, some bits are quite horrible. If I lived in 'Lafferton' I'd be moving elsewhere!

RosP

The Pure In Heart: Simon Serrailler Book 2
The Pure In Heart: Simon Serrailler Book 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Another absorbing Simon Serailler story, 30 April 2013
I'm a fan of our hero, Simon Serailler. I find Susan Hill's books compulsive reads, I like her characters who are 'real' people and the way she thoughtfully raises and considers serious problems of our time. However, some of this book is hard to read, as it concerns an abducted child. Hill presents the feelings of those most concerned extrememly well, I think, and it makes for tough reading in places, for me anyway. But it didn't stop me finishing the book1

Character World Lego Star Wars Bricks Single Panel Duvet Set
Character World Lego Star Wars Bricks Single Panel Duvet Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars!, 17 Jan 2013
All I know is, I gave one to my 5-year-old Grandson for Christmas and it was received with great enthusiasm!

The Explorers: Stories of Discovery and Adventure from the Australian Frontier
The Explorers: Stories of Discovery and Adventure from the Australian Frontier
by Tim Flannery

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stories of exploration, 17 Jan 2013
I really enjoyed this book which includes a wide variety of explorers and their journeys, mostly taken from their own writings. They survived horrendous experiences, searching desperately for the next water hole, and some died in their attempts to travel this unforgiving continent. They also encountered Aborigines, some treating them with respect, others shamefully.

I recommend the book to anyone interested in the exploration of Australia, or in adventuring anywhere.

Essentials of Nursing Research: Methods, Appraisal, and Utilization 5th ed
Essentials of Nursing Research: Methods, Appraisal, and Utilization 5th ed
by Denise F. Polit

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service from book seller, 17 Jan 2013
I got this book for someone in training. Turned out to be the wrong edition. Tried to return it. Amazon passed request to 'Smoothsale' which has not done a thing - neither sent return label nor contacted me. Have tried twice with no result.

A new edition of this book is due out beginning of Feb. - so my trainee will wait for that- hopefully, not from Smoothsale!!

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Even book-lovers like it, 6 Sep 2012
In this book-loving family, it was quite an adventure to buy a Kindle from Amazon.co.uk for our daughter's birthday. Very pleased with it, she quickly found how to download on to it and showed us the list of books she had put on it. It is neat and light, beats carrying armsful of books especially when travelling and so much easier to turn the pages in a crowded train! And no, it doesn't replace one's beloved books - it's an essential extra - it is already on my own wish list for Xmas!