Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Gareth Russell" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dig Deeper!: Tools to Unearth the Bible's Treasure
Dig Deeper!: Tools to Unearth the Bible's Treasure
by Nigel Beynon

5.0 out of 5 stars Digging Deeper, 26 Aug. 2006
Dig Deeper! Or that's what the title to Nigel Beynon and Andrew Sach's book encouraged me to do as I read the Bible. Dig Deeper! Tools to unearth the Bible's treasure is a short 160 page book published by IVP UK, aiming to equip believers with the methods they need to improve their reading and understanding of the Bible.

The book contains 17 different `tools' for getting the most from the Bible including, the structure tool, the translations tool and the copycat tool, among others. Each `tool' is given a few pages of explanation, with a useful "worked example" and then followed up with exercises to do yourself. This makes the book easy to study and absorb, as the repetition of the concepts through the examples and exercises works it into your memory.

A word of warning however, this is not a scholarly book and nor is it in depth but neither does it claim to be this. In the bibliography at the back of the book other more advanced books are suggested for the reader, if they feel they would like to go further. This is a book that I cannot fail to recommend highly enough to the average non-scholarly Christian, providing an excellent entry level guide to getting the most out of the Bible.

Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen (Swans Are Not Silent)
by John Piper

5.0 out of 5 stars Contending for Our All, 26 Aug. 2006
I couldn't resist from diving into this biographical book by John Piper and I'm most glad that I did. Contending for Our All is the fourth in Piper's "The Swans Are Not Silent" series, a series that looks at the lives of historic notable Christians and the lessons that can be drawn from them. In Contending for Our All, Piper looks at the lives of Athanasius, John Owen and J. Gresham Machen under the theme of standing firm for Biblical truth.

For John Piper, the lives of Athanasius, John Owen and J. Gresham Machen were all lived in controversy of some kind. For Athanasius: the deity of Christ; Owen: having communion with Christ and Machen: fighting the subtleties of Liberal Christianity. Piper spends the introduction and conclusion of the book making the point that controversies around crucial biblical truths should be tackled head-on, so that Christ is exalted. He also makes the point that controversy does not, contrary to common opinion, restrict the effectiveness of the Gospel instead it often enforces it. He points to the First and Second Great Awakening for evidence of this.

The biographies themselves make for gripping reading, before I opened this book I knew nothing about Athanasius, John Owen or J. Gresham Machen but now I feel suitably refreshed. I was struck particularly by Owen and how he managed to live such a holy life, writing many great works, all whilst simultaneously working at the upper echelons of society and having eleven children die! Oh how much I could learn from his works! Each chapter is approximately 2/3rds biography, and 1/3rd application with both being as compelling as the other.

It must be noted that in essence Contending for Our All is a collection of 3 biographical sermons given by John Piper at the Bethlehem Pastors Conference with an added introduction and conclusion. The chapters on Athanasius, Owen and Machen are all available online for free from Desiring God ([...] Some may prefer to just read these online but I do like to have it in book format and the added comments by Piper are of some value.

Contending for Our All is a fairly short book (at roughly 186 pages, with 1.5 line spacing and a large font) and shouldn't take the reader long to digest. As such it is one I warmly commend to all, even those for whom reading can be a chore, who couldn't benefit from reading of those heroes who went before us, who stood firm for Biblical truth?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4