Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Gareth Russell" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Keep the Faith
Keep the Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars A book on doubt, that cheered my soul., 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Keep the Faith (Kindle Edition)
Doubt. Not exactly a cheery subject, but reading Martin Ayers' book on doubt, left me cheered.

Martin wants us to think differently about our doubts and doubts about the Christian faith in particular. Drawing from John's Gospel and the letter to the Romans, he gets us to see that no-one has neutral thoughts about Jesus and the truth of Christianity. We're either drawn to Jesus or we're trying to suppress the truth of the Gospel. Christians shouldn't be surprised then that so few people believe in the good news about Christ, and we shouldn't be afraid to address our doubts head-on.

From there Martin goes on to offer great wisdom on what to do when we're suffering from doubt.

It's a short, accessible read, and one that will certainly lift the heart in praise to God for saving you through Jesus. Next time I hear someone is struggling with doubt, I'll share with them some of what I read from here, and then press this book into their hands.

A Long Way East of Eden: Could God Explain the Mess We're In?
A Long Way East of Eden: Could God Explain the Mess We're In?
by Pete Lowman

3.0 out of 5 stars First half is much better than the second, 27 Jan. 2013
Much ink has been spilt on postmodernism - a tricky, somewhat illusive subject at the best of times - but one area in which the explanation of postmodernism can be so lacking, is in how postmodernism affects society and the individual personally. Pete Lowman in A Long Way East of Eden, seeks to understand the practical implications of postmodern thought in a society where God is dead, before pointing to the only hope that society has in following Jesus Christ.

The first four chapters of A Long Way East of Eden are stellar. They cover identity, purpose, ethics and truth in a world without God. Within each chapter Lowman surveys briefly the academic field on each topic, before exploring its logical implications for a society without God and criticising its failings. Lowman always pointing to the conclusion that if there is no God then there can be no real identity, no real purpose to life, no universal standard of morality and no truth about anything. These four chapters alone are worth the price of the book and made me realise just how fortunate we are as Christians, to be able to live a consistent and fulfilled life.

Sadly after the fourth chapter, the quality of the book declines noticeably, as it appears to take some interesting but largely irrelevant detours from the indictment of a society without God. This I believe is largely due to poor editing by the publisher. Lowman covers love in a society without God and the various idols that society has pursued as a replacement to God. The final two chapters conclude by challenging us to believe in the God of the Bible, who alone can make sense of this world.

Why good arguments often fail: Making a More Persuasive Case for Christ
Why good arguments often fail: Making a More Persuasive Case for Christ
by James W. Sire

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 27 Jan. 2013
James W. Sire is a bit like Ronseal, in that it does exactly what it says on the tin. This is a short book that tries to give some explanation for why our solid, rational arguments, don't cause hundreds of people to immediately bow the knee, repent of their sins and seek the forgiveness that Jesus offers.

In Part 1, James W. Sire pulls off a stroke of genius, by giving a crash course in logical fallacies - a mistake in logic that invalidates the argument - via an explanation of a humorous short story entitled "Love is a fallacy!" by Max Schulman. Sire explains unqualified and hasty generalisations, causes, contrary hypotheses, false analogy and poisoning the well among others. By examining these errors, Sire hopes that we will test our own arguments to make sure our good arguments really are good arguments and equipping us to spot these errors in the arguments of non-Christians so that we can gently correct them.

Having covered logical fallacies in Part 1, Sire moves in Part 2 to examine why, if our arguments are good are they rejected so often by unbelievers? Sire provides a host of explanations, from our arrogant demeanour to the effects of an evolutionary worldview (see the related blog post here) to a deep love of personal sin in the life of the non-Christian. Sire addresses each of these issues in a separate chapter and tries to tease out how we can avoid these smoke screens. Parts 1 and 2 are brilliant and I certainly needed to heed the lessons they contain. I hope, God-willing, that by the end of the summer I will have an opportunity to sit down and revisit these areas.

There are some notable weaknesses to this book: firstly, in the annotated bibliography for framing effective arguments for the Christian faith, there is a conspicuous absence of notable Reformed Apologists such as John Frame or Greg Bahnsen. Sire hints in the book that the bibliography intentionally features these gaps, as he disagrees with some of what he perceives to be more aggressive forms of apologetics. But I think that detracts a little from the usefulness of the bibliography, particularly in the case of those who aren't well read in the literature and are just starting out.

Secondly, Sire includes in Part Three, two chapters that he deems to be good arguments that work in defending the faith but both of these chapters left me somewhat puzzled. The first of these "I See You Are Very Religious: Paul in Athens", attempts to take Paul's speech to the Athenians in Acts 17 and turn it into a relevant method for today's university setting. After reading the chapter I was no wiser as to how I could use a similar methodology today and more than a little perplexed. The second chapter, "So Why Should I Believe Anything? Christian Witness in a Postmodern World", is the outline for an evangelistic talk to give on a campus somewhere. Whilst certainly useful to some, it struck me as a slightly odd thing to insert towards the end of this book, particularly when one considers the more general reader likely to pick up this book and the chapter didn't seem to add anything to the book as a whole.

These though are fairly self-contained quibbles found only in the latter part of Why Good Arguments Often Fail. The book's strength is in its short, accessible introduction to logical fallacies and its examination of the reasons why unbelievers resist the good news of Jesus Christ. The book is a moderately easy read and one I would recommend to an individual involved in regular apologetic conversations with unbelievers.

Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sid Meier's Civilization V

4.0 out of 5 stars A great update to the franchise!, 27 Jun. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Civ 5 has had a lot of flak from purists, but I really like it.

I've been playing Civ avidly since Civ 2 came out in the 1990s. This is the first Civ that feels "fresh" and is not just a part of the gradual evolution of the series. You can really tell that the developers have stood back and thought about what works and what doesn't.

Out with the square tiles, in with hexes; out with unit stacking, in with single units on a tile. These two simple changes have both streamlined the came and reinvigorated it. Don't forget the addition of new city states too.

SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB Memory  - Frustration Free Packaging
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB Memory - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars A dinky little flash drive., 23 Jun. 2012
I was quite surprised when I opened the envelope that contained this USB Flash Drive and poured it out onto my desk just how small this little fella is. It feels quite plasticky and cheap on the outside. Performance wise, I have absolutely no complaints. 16GB is plenty of space for backing up and porting round photos and files. (Just think you get 2GB free from Dropbox - or pay $5 a month for more space!)

I quite like it. Recommended.

Luxury Lavendar Wheat Bag Comfort Cushion for aches & pain relief - Easy & co...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good soothing effect, slightly overpowering on the lavender, 23 Jun. 2012
I bought this for my wife recently to help soothe any aches and pains in the evening. It goes nicely into the microwave for 3-4 minutes, and comes out toasty and warm, ready to be applied directly to skin to comfort. The wheat bag itself is made out of a soft cordoroy material.

Be warned though, it does smell STRONGLY of lavender. If you don't like that smell, then this is not for you. I suspect that with age the lavender smell will settle down a bit.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars For your Hario V2, 30 May 2012
40 Hario V2 filter papers. Does what you'd expect: makes a great cup of coffee. I prefer this pack over the 100 filter size, as they are easier to store in the box.

eKitch digital food probe thermometer & timer for food, wine, meat - great in oven cooking gadget for Roasting Perfection every time
Offered by Home & Travel

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially impressed, then found it difficult to use and it broke., 30 May 2012
I was initially quite impressed with this: it provided clear and accurate food and drink temperatures.

Two problems arose though:

Firstly, when you set your desired temperature alarm (i.e. 110C) it wasn't obvious how to turn that alarm off. It just continued to sound, and sound, and sound, unless you lowered the temperature below the threshold. Maybe I was being dumb - but I just couldn't figure out how to silence it.

Secondly, the cable sleeve burnt through and broke after its 3rd use in an oven about 200C.

In the end I'm a bit disappointed. And left with a broken thermometer. Go for another choice.

Sistema Klip It Baby Food Storage, 3 Pack
Sistema Klip It Baby Food Storage, 3 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for weaning, 30 May 2012
These storage boxes are great. We've got an 8-month old daughter who we are in the process of weaning for. We cook and mash or pureé most of her meals in advance. The 2 smaller boxes can store a meal portion for her and the larger box stores a couple of meals.

They're also microwave safe and with the clip seal around the boxes they don't leak.

A great buy!

COLT� HQ Stylus Pen with Headphone Clip - for Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini, Nokia Smartphones, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Google, Blackberry, LG, Sony Ericsson Smartphones and all other touchscreen tablets - BLACK
Offered by MPB Trading International

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, cheap stylus!, 30 May 2012
It works how you'd expect it to. It's comfortable. And the price is incredible. In fact, it's cheaper than going to a high st retailer and buying a pen. At this price you won't mind replacing it in 3 months if it breaks - although I don't expect it to.

Highly Recommended