Profile for Conspicuous > Reviews

Rounds
Rounds
Price: 13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! God, yes!, 4 Jan 2008
This review is from: Rounds (Audio CD)
I'd heard a couple of Four Tet songs when I bought this, and I'd liked them a lot, but I didn't really think the album would amaze me as much as it did. A wonderful, uniqe, waving mess of strings, cymbals and cut up bits of distortion. Instantly one of my favourite albums.
If you haven't heard Four Tet before though, I'd suggest listening to some on youtube or something, since it definitely won't appeal to everybody. But if you feel it, god, it's good.

Smells Like Children
Smells Like Children
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.18

4.0 out of 5 stars It's grown on me, 29 Jan 2007
This review is from: Smells Like Children (Audio CD)
Well, first of all, if you're thinking of buying this, LISTEN TO THE SAMPLES. If you've got a lot of Manson's other stuff and want more of the same, this isn't for you.

That's not to say it's not a good album, it's just entirely different from the rest of his stuff.

At first I was a little thrown by just how bizarre some of these tracks are. 'May Cause Discoloration of the Urine or Feces', for example, is a four minute phone conversation about medicine.

But on the whole, I do like it. The highlights for me are probably Scabs, Guns and Peanut Butter, Kiddie Grinder, Sweet Dreams, White Trash and Rock 'N' Roll Nigger.

If you do get it, give it a few tries before judging it. It's grown on me after listening to it about three times.

Myself, I reckon it's decent cd, but it certainly won't be to everybody's tastes, and isn't like Manson's norm, which is why you should definitely listen to some samples before buying.

Laika Come Home
Laika Come Home
Price: 6.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely EXCELLENT., 2 Jan 2007
This review is from: Laika Come Home (Audio CD)
This is one of the best CDs I've bought in ages.

Definately not everybody's thing. Slowed down, meandering mixes of the original tracks (often drastically changed, like 'De-Punked') won't appeal to everyone. One of my best friends doesn't like what he's heard from it at all.

Personally, though, I think it's brilliant. I especially like 19/2000 (Jungle Fresh), Slow Country (Strictly Rubbadub), and Re-Hash (Come Again). They're so different from the original versions; It's a completely different sound, but it works really well.

As I write this, I keep feeling like I ought to recommend this album to a certain kind of person, but I'm finding it very hard to do so because I've never heard anything like this.

I suppose if you're into dub and like Gorillaz it's an obious choice. If you're just a Gorillaz fan and haven't listened to dub before, it's hard to say whether or not you'll like it. I did, anyway. Buy it if you want to take a bit of a leap into the unknown. You might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

Five stars. Absolutley excellent in my opinion, but it certainly won't be to EVERYBODY's tastes.

De Stijl
De Stijl
Price: 7.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Too uncomplicated to not be beautiful..., 22 Aug 2006
This review is from: De Stijl (Audio CD)
'Even if the goal of ahieving beauty from simplicity is aesthetically less exciting, it may force the mind to acknowledge the simple components which make the complicated beautiful.'

That's written in the little cover booklet thing.

This album is simple, and beautiful.

The opening track, 'You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)', is short, simple, catchy, and more or less instantly cheers me up when I'm feeling a bit crap.

'Hello Operator' has a classic choppy guitar riff thing going on and interesting lyrics (Sung brilliantly). Every now and then the music cuts out, and all you hear is some overly-simplistic percussion from Meg - then, at the perfect moment, the guitar comes back in. It's one of those bits that just strikes me as being brilliant whenever I hear it.

'I'm Bound To Pack It Up' - Beautiful. I won't try to describe it any other way, for fear of failing and not expressing how excellent this tune is.

'Sister, Do You Know My Name?' does a great job capturing the feel of the situation being described.

'Jumble, Jumble' is simple, raw, and brilliant. I'm aware I'm not great at describing these in depth; That's 'cause it's hard to convey the sound in words here...

Anyway, I can't say something about all of them, because on most of them I'd be struggling for words again and would have to settle for just 'Brilliant', 'Excellent', 'Fantastic' and so on.

If you're new to the White Stripes, I dunno if this'd be a good first album to get - I'd go with Elephant, I think. But if you've heard some stuff by them and you know you're into them, this album won't dissapoint.

There's a kind of subtle beauty to it.

Five stars.