Profile for Silver > Reviews

Content by Silver

Silver

The Outstretched Shadow (Obsidian Triology - Book 1)
The Outstretched Shadow (Obsidian Triology - Book 1)
by James Mallory
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, sadly enough, 2 Jan. 2012
I am sorry to say that I was very disappointed by this book. Expecting an exciting story *I usually love Mercedes Lackey's books*, this just wasn't it. I'm well into 200 pages of the book and nothing extremely interesting has happened yet. Kellen (the main character) gets banished from his home city. While the part where he has to survive the banishment was full of action and well written, everything before that and directly after that just isn't. When the book finally gets to the banishment (promised on the cover), it made me think the story would finally get on it's way. Sadly, it doesn't. The book is very slow paced. If you like that or have more patience than me, that might not be a problem.
I know other reviewers have said that the story will get on it's way later on... It's just taking too long.

Two other notes of disappointment:
- The most important person Kellen meets after the banishment (won't say who, because I don't want to spoil it) comes across as a very 'Mary Sue'-character. A bit too perfect and a bit too brilliant in doing everything that has to be done.
- The evil ones in this book are far too evil. It is way over the top. I like it that they have a masterplan and a lot of patience. But really, half of their evilness would have been enough to severely dislike them.