Profile for Sylvia > Reviews

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Aneeta Patel
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Book for the Absolute Beginner, 24 May 2014
The contents of this book are so easy to follow and contain a wonderful method of teaching by the talented author. It gives great encouragement to all beginners and within approximately six weeks I had succeeded in knitting a long scarf, matching hat and mittens. I am a retired lady who has tried to knit on many occasions and although all my female relatives could knit extremely well, I just could not master the technique. My relatives always criticised me for the way I held the wool and the needles. This definitely put me off trying to persevere with knitting. The author of this book encourages beginners to do things in easy stages and not to be disheartened by any errors they may make. I am amazed that I have actually managed to knit something worthwhile and I am certainly looking forward to creating my next knitting project. I would recommend this book to any person, young or older, who is eager to learn this traditional skill.

Music for the People: The Pleasures and Pitfalls of Classical Music
Music for the People: The Pleasures and Pitfalls of Classical Music
by Gareth Malone

3.0 out of 5 stars Music Lovers Book, 27 Jan 2012
Plenty of interesting information for people who are new to all types of music, but particularly classical music. Gareth has written the book in an ordinary everyday manner which makes it easy to read. However, there are certain parts that tend to be a little repetitive. Overall an interesting read at a very reasonable price. Would certainly recommend it to anyone who is beginning their studies in the world of music.

Rag Rug Making
Rag Rug Making
by Jenni Stuart-Anderson
Price: 10.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Rag rugging, 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Rag Rug Making (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for anyone who is new to rag rug making. There are lots of ideas for patterns etc and detailed information about the type of tools required. Good information about the actual technique of rag rug making.