Profile for Stacey Frost > Reviews

Content by Stacey Frost

Stacey Frost "hitomi_womi" (Brum)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fallen Heroes
Fallen Heroes
by Barry Nugent

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Aug 2007
This review is from: Fallen Heroes (Paperback)
This was a really really good read. It reads like Indiana Jones meets James Bond, which is an awesome combo right there. What more could you want than spies, thieves, rogue government agencies, cults, booby traps and a bald guy with an eye patch?

This is a well written, well paced and very exciting book, intertwining many characters and sub plots into one cohesive and entertaining story. The characters are all very different, yet each likeable in their own way, and there is something here for everyone.

If you like reading, I'd say give this a shot.

Superman: For Tomorrow v. 1 (Superman 1)
Superman: For Tomorrow v. 1 (Superman 1)
by Brian Azzarello

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Nov 2006
I've only recently started to get into the whole comic universe, so I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about comics, or their writers, or their characters. I do, however, know what I like, and I like this.

The first thing that struck me about it was the fantastic artwork. Usually, if I don't know the plot to a comic, if it looks good I'll pick it up and hope for the best. This book looked good, and it certainly lived up to my expectations. Looks wise, this is one of the best comics I've ever read. Each panel is laced with detail, and the colours are striking.

The story doesn't disppoint either. The moment I'd finished this volume I was on the Net looking for volume 2. Intriguing, exciting, and full of depth, it's definitely a good read.

All in all, this book was brilliant, and I recommend it to anyone interested in Superman himself, comics, or just sitting down to a good read.

Captain America: Winter Soldier Volume 1 HC: Winter Soldier v. 1
Captain America: Winter Soldier Volume 1 HC: Winter Soldier v. 1
by Ed Brubaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain A-more-ica, 10 Aug 2006
An awful pun, I know, but I need more of this run of comics!!

When I was a kid, I was a huge fan of Captain America. Recently I decided to come back to him, starting here, with this very book. And thus, my passion for all things Cap was renewed.

If you're a fan of comics, buy this. If you're a fan of Cap, buy this. If you're a fan of exciting cliffhangers, buy this. Heck, if you're a person, buy this.

Accompanying an absolutely fantastic storyline comes some awesome artwork, and an all-too-intriguing twist within the first couple of issues.

Captain America (or Steve, if you will), faces his most difficult challenge when memories of his time during the war, and of his spate when captured by Red Skull come flooding back with a shocking and more than a little confusing vengeance. Cap's not even sure if what he's remembering is real, and all the while he's trying to gather himself, people are planting bombs around, plotting to kill each other and generally being a bit evil. Good times.

It was an emotional roller-coaster from start to finish (I think maybe I was getting a little too involved, but hey, it's Captain America!) and, I'm told that issues 1 - 12 of this run were Wizard's top comics of the year last year.

Awesome. Buy it. But it now. And while you're there, pick up volume 2 for me! ;P

Cowboy Bebop - The Movie [DVD] [2003]
Cowboy Bebop - The Movie [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Kôichi Yamadera

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain brilliant!, 30 July 2004
On watching 'Cowboy Bebop: The Movie' all i could think at first was 'WOW'...
This is the kind of film that really keeps you interested. There's not one dull moment to be found amongst the plotting, the drama, the tension, the aircraft chase...
Speaking of the aircraft chase, what an awesome scene. Kimitoshi Yamane's mechanical designs coupled with Masami Goto's brilliant execution of their moves and speeds creates a scene that was so close to real life it was breath-taking. Yoko Kanno's music, too, added an extra hint of excitement and tension to the scene, bringing it all together in one stunning scene. Excellent stuff.
The plot is easy enough to follow, yet gripping enough to keep you hooked right til the end (and what an end it is). It also works well as a stand alone from the series - although the characters featured are pretty much the same, the plot can be follwed without any prior experience of the show. I've never seen an episode in my life, yet loved the film (and will now probably invest in a few episodes from he series...^_^)
The characters in this film leave nothing to be desired - they're all great. Spike has a cool, dangerous air about him, but also a sense of lovableness somewhere deep down. he's the kind of guy people want to be or be around. Plain and simple - he's the perfect action guy, without being too cheesey-Hollywood-hero about it all. He has his faults, but that makes him seem all the more human. His fellow bounty hunters are also done well, we feel for them, we laugh with them and above all, we love to watch them. It's the perfect cast.
And bad guy Vincent is not without his charms - as the tall dark mysterious baddy we almost feel for him as the film goes on, trying tp figure out who he really is, and why he does what he does.
Provoking emotive responses in it's audience, nothing about this film can be faulted. Even the slightly hyperactive Edward (who I was forewarned about being annoying) grew to be quite sweet.
This movie comes packed to burst with action, using stateof-the-art animation and stunning characters to draw you into a world of pure adventure. Awesome, and for this price, you should buy it.

Overgrown Eden
Overgrown Eden
Offered by OnlineMusicFilmsGames

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 27 July 2004
This review is from: Overgrown Eden (Audio CD)
This was an impulse buy for me; I'd heard only UnderDose yet decided that I'd give them a try.
At first, I wasn't all that impressed. But, I gave InMe some time, and the album grew on me. And now it's one of my favourite albums.
InMe are one of few bands who can master a range of songs from anthemic (and by that I mean Crushed Like Fruit), to slow and meaningful (such as Her Mask) and just plain awesome (like Mosaic. Boy, does that song rock...)
Their spine-tingling riffs, powerful unique vocals and brilliant melodies combine to create an atmosphere of sheer genius.
Well worth buying, and I'd really recommend seeing them live, too, it's an experience you'll never forget! (UnderDose, Crushed Like Fruit and Faster The Chase (from their new album) are possibly the greatest songs to mosh to. Period.)
Buy it now.

Donnie Darko [2002] [DVD]
Donnie Darko [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by TIP TOP SELLER

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. 'Nuff said., 27 July 2004
This review is from: Donnie Darko [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
There are so many things that can be said of Donnie Darko... Personally, I think it is one of the best films I've ever seen. It is a film which is not afraid to ask questions, to lead it's audience to ask questions, and then never provides a conclusve answer. Does God exist? Does fate exist? Are all of our actions linked somehow? This film asks all of this, and more, in such a way as to be entertaining and witty at the same time.
The range of directorial skills used were amazing too. One particular scene of note is the arrival at school. During this scene, a combination of real time footage, slow motion footage and quick time footage is used to give a short introduction to some of the more prominent characters, whilst Tears For Fears' awesome anthem 'Head Over Heels' plays in the background. I feel that this really sets the scene for the film.
Not only are the editing and directorial skills brilliant, but the special effects, especially for a film with a fairly low budget, were fab, too.
Jake Gyllenhaal's performance as Donnie leaves nothing to be desired; he's spot on. Playing a mentally disturbed person who is both clever and witty, Gyllenhaal pulls it off with style. Patrick Swayze's character, though quite annoying, provides light relief from the dark and questioning tone of the film, and don't worry, he gets what for. Or does he?...
I love how this film addresses the idea that even one small action, like getting out of bed on a particular night, can effect the lives of so many around us.
The soundtrack is brilliant too, Gary Jules' version of 'Mad World' being used to it's full potential in a scene echoing the sad undertone to the song.
Overall, this is a wonderful film. It's unique, romantic, dark, witty, amusing and deep all at once. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Philadelphia [DVD] [1994]
Philadelphia [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by Jasuli

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-wrenching stuff, 27 July 2004
This review is from: Philadelphia [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
After a long battle with my Mom, that ended with the deal "If you watch Escaflowne: The Movie, I'll watch Philadelphia with you", I finally sat down to watch it. Flop knows why I put this film off for so long.
Based on the novel, Philadelphia tells the story of Andrew Beckett, an excellent lawyer fired from his prominant law firm after the partners discover he had AIDs. The film follows his path as he chooses to take the firm to court, and and leads up to the outcome of the trial.
This film has to be one of Tom Hanks' graetest achievements. Possibly one of the most heart-wrenching scenes in cinema ever comes as Tom Hanks emotively describes an opera song, 'La Mamma Morte' as Maria Callas version plays in the background. This culmination of emotions, the combination of music, facial expression and story-telling evoke a sort of deep heart felt sorrow for this man. It is, put simply, a beautiful scene.
Performances by Denzel Washington and Antonio Banderas should not be ignored either, as they act in such a way as to create an air of natural behaviour, emotion and conflict. I do feel, however, that Banderas' character, Miguel, came off better in the novel, as more time was given to him and his feelings. However, Banderas worked well with what he was given, so commendation must go to him.
The brilliant thing about Philadelphia is that the film is not only about AIDs and homosexuality. It brings to light the issues of discrimination in the workplace.
Put plainly, this is a film definately worth watching, especially with a box of hankies nearby.

Escaflowne: Movie [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Escaflowne: Movie [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Kazuki Akane

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried and I didn't want to give it back..., 23 July 2004
As one of Escaflowne: The series' biggest fans, I was desperate to get my hands on the movie. Salvation came in the form of a new discovery; a friend of mine was a secret Esca fan, and had a copy of the movie I could borrow! As soon as I had it (and after fiddling with my DVD player so that it would play), the DVD was on, and I was hooked.
Escaflowne: The Movie has a totally new plot, combining old favourites (somewhat altered) and new faces, drama, action, romance and some of the best animation I've ever seen.
The movie tells the story of two lost souls, with no direction and only loneliness for company, who meet in extremely tense circumstances and build a relationship around it. Hitomi is basically the same as her anime series counterpart, if not a little darker and more depressed. Van is also just as loveable as ever, and his rather dramatic reveal of his secret to Hitomi (ie his wings) was one moment where the culmination of beautiful music, gorgeous animation and heightened emotion made me sit and cry. That scene was possibly the most beautiful scene ever to come from Escaflowne, ever.
The English version comes with excellent vocal performances from Paul Dobson, (who makes an awesome return as Lord Folken), Kirby Morrow (voicing perfectly the sorrow, stubornness and genuine emotion of Van's character) and even Kelly Sheridan tones down her usually annoying school girl tones.
The soundtrack was also quite impressive, combining sounds from the Far East, Turkey and Japan, as well as Esca's usual dramatic opera/orchestra pieces. Yoko Kanno and Hajime Mizoguchi's best works of this film come in the form of Black Escaflowne (dark, dramatic and orchestral) and First Vision (beginning in a calm and peaceful manner, and suddenly exploding into a more Turkish/tribal sound. Awesome.) The recurring theme Sora also has it's charms, as a lilting and haunting melody, giving an image of some sort of Gaean Enya.
The only letdowns for this film, I believe, were three in number; Lord Folken, the overly cheesy dialogue, and Dilandau. The first because the dramatic changes to his appearance did not suit his character at all (though Paul Dobson's brilliant voice work totally made up for this). The latter because Dilandau no longer had his edge. Dilandau happened to be one of my favourite characters in the series, but the film had him as mildly off his rocker, and awfully camp, which didn't suit him at all.
Overall, this was a great film. If you're a fan of the show, and are hesitant about the film, I'd say give it a try. I found it to be a really enjoyable experience (suffice it to say that I watched it 4 times before I had to give it back...)
2 thumbs way up!!

Battle Royale [DVD] [2001]
Battle Royale [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Tatsuya Fujiwara
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 10 May 2004
This review is from: Battle Royale [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
After having developed a sudden taste for all things Japanese, I decided to take a leap into the world of Japanese cinema, starting with 'Ringu' and 'Battle Royale'. I know which one I preferred!
Battle Royale is a tale of society gone mad and the extremes lengths people will go to when they are put to the ultimate test.
Placed on an island with nothing but one weapon and some measly food supplies, 40 school students must face off against each other in order to escape the island. And how is that done? Why, by killing each other until there's only one left, that's how. Nothing's against the rules, and if by the end of the third day of gruelling island life, there is no 'winner', all remaining players die. And that's that.
Ridiculous though that plot actually sounds, it was executed brilliantly within the film. Based on the controversial manga I actually found that the film surpassed it's graphic novel counterpart in every way. Admittedly, the film does not go into great depth about each of the students histories (which the books do), but that's actually a good thing in most cases.
The graphics and effects in this film are excellent, in that the blood does not look like yesterday's congealed tomato ketchup you find stuck to the side of the bottle.
The classic combination of characters is also brilliantly evident in this film, throwing the likes of the sensitive, caring Shuuya in with maniacal volunteer Kiriyama, who will stop at nothing to win the 'game'. The part of Kitano, the teacher whose class is this seasons players, is excellently played with an almost psychotic playfulness by Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano of 'Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence' fame. His part in this film has been recognised by many, and deservedly so, as I believe that he and Kawada steal the show.
So why did it loose a star? Simply because of two moments (try to spot them; it won't be difficult), where sanity seems to have escaped the writers and the ideas get a little over the top. Aside from the two 'stooooopid' moments, which are short, so they don't completely ruin the film, Battle Royale is definately worth watching, whether you're a fan of film, Japan, or Takeshi Kitano.
A must see.

Volume 1
Volume 1
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut!, 28 April 2004
This review is from: Volume 1 (Audio CD)
I bought CKY's album simply because a friend of mine had been banging onabout them for a while, so I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. Andthere was definately something to fuss about.
This album is a brilliant offering from a brilliant band, who don't getnearly as much recognition as they should. 96 Quite Bitter Beings, one oftheir more famous tracks on this side of the pond, is amazing andcertainly deserves to be so famous. With an infectious riff, awesome drumbeats provided by Jess Margera (not Bam), and blow-you-away vocals fromthe vastly underrated Deron Miller, this is definately a song to look outfor. Shortly followed on the album by Rio bravo, another of my personalfavourites. This song is a stonker, the perfect follow up to a song like96... And the standard of music doesn't seem to waver at all throughoutthe course of the album. You'd think that opening with three of the bestsongs to grace my CD player in a while, that this would be a difficult actto follow. But follow they do, and they do it so well it's unbelievable.Human Drive-In Hi Fi is an amazing track, with a 'Shaft' feel that youwouldn't think would work, but it really does. And things stay amazingwith tracks like My Promiscuous Daughter and Sara's Mask.
Though I was a little sceptical about buying this CD, I'm so glad I did.It offers a brilliant set, never dropping their standards once.
A must buy for anyone who loves rock, and isn't scared of things that area little different.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3