Profile for Alberto Velez Grilo > Reviews

Content by Alberto Velez ...

Alberto Velez Grilo (Funchal, Portugal)

Bellini: La Sonnambula
Bellini: La Sonnambula
Offered by rbmbooks
Price: 42.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Tha amazin Sutherland, 12 Sep 2003
This review is from: Bellini: La Sonnambula (Audio CD)
This is the best studio record of La Sonnambula.
Sutherland was here on her top form. No one can sing "Ah Non Giunge" like this, technical perfection and amazing coloratura.
Nicola Monti goes quite well with Sutherland, his voice sometime is similar to the men's voice in Portuguese "Fado de Coimbra".
Sylvia Stahlman and Margret Elkins are in very good shape.
I like particularly Corena's Conte Rodolfo.
This is really a must have.

Bellini: I Capuleti ed I Montecchi
Bellini: I Capuleti ed I Montecchi
Offered by FlorenciumBear
Price: 13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not excelent, 11 Sep 2003
I bought this because I like very much the Gruberova interpretations of Bel Canto Repertoire and I consider Balsa a great Mezzo. They don't disappoint here. Gruberova quite good and Balsa is a convincing Romeo.
I'm always septic about Muti. His obsession about the "come scrito" interpretation can be quite boring. Gruberavova's great high notes are missing here.
Sometimes during the interpretation it seems this is a studio record. This can be good and bad, good because of the sound quality and bad because we don't fill the public emotion (applauses only in the end of the acts).

Price: 13.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Essencial Rigoletto, 20 Feb 2003
This review is from: Verdi: Rigoletto (Audio CD)
If someone wants to know what opera is about, then this is the first one to hear.
Rigoletto is a very beautiful opera, with a wonderful story.
First we have Milnes as Rigoletto. He is in top form and makes us fill his sadness and the terrible "Malidicione".
Pavarotti is my favorite "Duca". The high D at the end of "Possente Amor" makes me think how can he goes so high.
The point of discussion in many of the reviews is Dame Joan Sutherland's Gilda. Sutherland is a "big girl" with a supreme voice and the best technique ever, and Gilda is a delicate young girl. Of course Callas fans allways put down Sutherland, and vice-versa. So Sutherland has the voice and Callas the acting skills. I personly prefer Sutherland's Gilda over Callas, but thats only my opinion. I think them both deserve the Voice of XX century title.

Price: 13.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Essencial Rigoletto, 12 Feb 2003
This review is from: Verdi: Rigoletto (Audio CD)
Rigoletto is a very beautiful opera, with a wonderful story.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2012 10:22 PM BST