Profile for Michael Allen > Reviews

Content by Michael Allen

Michael Allen "Grumpy Old Bookman" (Dorset, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Book 1 The Detective: The Adventures of Patricia & Annabelle: Fabulous Four Foil Fiends! (The Adventures of Patricia and Annabelle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Trying to get your children to read?, 20 Mar. 2015
If you are a parent, or a grandparent, you will know that it isn’t always easy to get children to read. But when they do find something that they like – either when it’s read to them, or when they read it for themselves – they tend to gobble it down and look for more.

Well, here’s a book which might arouse your children’s interest. And if it does, you will be pleased to know that it’s the first in a series of four. The suggested readership age range is 7 to 12, and my guess is that children of about 10 plus will do best with it if they are reading it themselves. Younger children would probably appreciate having it read to them.

The setting is English, and today’s grandparents will find it reminiscent of Enid Blyton, in that the basic thrust of the story is young children solving crimes. However, it is a kind of updated Blyton, with an adult approach. There are seriously nasty villains, the real threat of violence, and occasional references to the realities of modern life such as child sex offenders. The author is not afraid to introduce religious issues either: the 10-year-old narrator is not only familiar with C.S. Lewis’s Narnia books, but also with his account of his spiritual conversion.

Fortunately the book is a relatively long one by children’s standards, and therefore the ‘Look Inside’ facility provides ample material on which to make your own assessment of its suitability.

Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health

4.0 out of 5 stars you will enjoy and appreciate the additional insights provided by this book, 15 Aug. 2014
If you are already well read in the history of diet/nutrition, you will enjoy and appreciate the additional insights provided by this book. If you are beginner, this is not the book for you. In the Kindle version, the occasional charts and graphs are well nigh useless, as usual.

Queen Victoria's Book of Spells: An Anthology of Gaslamp Fantasy
Queen Victoria's Book of Spells: An Anthology of Gaslamp Fantasy
by Ellen Datlow

4.0 out of 5 stars I am old enough to have known some Victorians, 14 Aug. 2014
Literate, imaginative, thoughtful, evocative of the time. All in all pretty classy stuff. But you have to come to it with a feeling for the period.

Format YOUR Print Book with Createspace
Format YOUR Print Book with Createspace
by Tim C. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable, 24 May 2014
I bought this book twice. First in Kindle, and then, when I realised I would need to read it carefully and refer to it frequently, I bought the paperback. (I have done this before, with other non-fiction books.) There is no index, but I can search the text on the Kindle version (via Kindle for Mac), and can scribble notes on the margins of the paperback.

Worth every penny. The first few formats were very hard, but once you get the hang of it it is much easier.

The Red Road (Alex Morrow Book 4)
The Red Road (Alex Morrow Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, 19 May 2014
The last line of this hard-nosed crime novel made me laugh out loud, which doesn't happen often.

I read this in the course of one evening, but rather agree with the reviewer who said that it was hard to remember all the names. It isn't written and structured the way I would have done it, but then Ms Mina is famous and I'm not, so she must be doing something right.

As my mother used to say, they don't write them fast enough for me. On the whole it's an excellent piece of work.

Holy Orders: Quirke Mysteries Book 6
Holy Orders: Quirke Mysteries Book 6

5.0 out of 5 stars the best yet, 27 July 2013
I have now read all the Quirke novels, though not always in the right order, and have found them consistently interesting and moving.

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
by Michael Gelb

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction/reminder, 23 Jan. 2013
If you're new to the Alexander technique, this is a good introduction. And if, like me, you want to be reminded of principles you might have forgotten, this is equally good.

Building Your Book for Kindle for Mac
Building Your Book for Kindle for Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying for -- but it's free!, 14 July 2012
This book would be well worth paying for, but at the time of writing it's free and I would expect Kindle to keep it so.

I have spent months trying to figure out a way to have my ebooks display correctly on various ereaders, and have pages of notes. Even so, this guide to the Kindle solved a lot of problems for me. Make sure you get the right edition -- this one is for Mac users who have Word 2011 for Mac.

Example of one small but very helpful piece of guidance: when you convert your Word file to html, make sure you click the radio button beside the words: Save only display information into HTML.

Also the advice on previewing is immensely helpful.

You will find that, despite your very best efforts, Amazon still has some funny little ways which will surprise and either infuriate or amuse you, depending on temperament. But for the time being, this is the best advice you can get.

Google Blogger for Dummies
Google Blogger for Dummies
by Susan Gunelius

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 16 July 2011
It seems to me that the one-star review for this book is unduly harsh. The book is certainly not a rip-off.

Some years ago I ran a fairly successful blog of my own, using Blogger as the host; eventually I had to give it up because of shortage of time. I was recently asked to advise a friend on how to start a new one, so I bought this book to refresh my memory.

In my judgement this is a most helpful and easy-to-follow guide, covering all the main points and providing a step-by-step procedure for many of the necessary steps. The only drawback is that the currently available edition is now a couple of years old, and Blogger, like everything else online, is continually under development. So some of the on-screeen windows have changed in their titles and tabs, compared with those illustrated in the book. In one or two cases, more detailed information would also be useful, e.g. how to register the blog with Technorati, a procedure which is, frankly, a pain in the arse.

Otherwise, well worth the price.

Moon Over Soho
Moon Over Soho
by Ben Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes, this is wonderful, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Moon Over Soho (Hardcover)
Wonderful. Literally wonderful, in the sense that it is full of wonders.

At my age (72) it is increasingly hard to find novels that I actually want to read, and even harder to find novels which I don't give up on after perhaps 50 pages. But this one works all right.

Provided, of course, you know what to expect, and like what you are led to expect. For this is one of those cross-genre books. It's part police-procedural, part fantasy (since it's about magic, and we don't believe in magic, do we? Oh, really?), and part literary; the latter because, for a police constable of modest background and educational attainments, our hero is remarkably erudite. Oh, and there's a wide streak of humour running all the way through it -- humour of that black kind which police officers, A&E doctors, and ambulance men, develop into order to protect themselves from the horrible things they have to deal with.

Fortunately, this is number two in a series, so you can go back and start with number one before getting stuck into this one. And the only thing wrong with a series such as this is that the fact that, as my dear old Mum used to say, they don't write them fast enough.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2014 8:50 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2