Profile for gradester > Reviews

Lewis - Series Four [DVD]
Lewis - Series Four [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately

5.0 out of 5 stars Series 5 please, 2 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Lewis - Series Four [DVD] (DVD)
Another fantastic series of Lewis draws to a close. As a die hard Morse fan I really didnt think I would ever enjoy anything as much - but I do!

All the episodes in this, and the previous series had me hooked from the first minutes and guessing to the end. You can watch them over and over just to see the wonderful Oxford settings and to pick up plot lines that you might have missed the first time around.

Lewis and Hathaway are an amazing partnership, the two personalities spark off each other with brilliant results. The fantastic supporting cast add the icing to the cake.

A BAFTA is surely on the cards.

Please please ITV make another series and another and another etc etc
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2010 8:33 AM BST

Lewis - Series Two [DVD] [2007]
Lewis - Series Two [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately

5.0 out of 5 stars A late comer and now devotee, 25 May 2010
Like many die hard Morse fans I was cynical in the extreme when I discovered that ITV were going to make Lewis. Don't get me wrong - I have huge respect for Kevin Whately as an actor and believe that his character was crucial to the success of the Morse series, but I couldnt imagine him going it alone. I was wrong wrong wrong. I finally caught up with series 1 on demand TV and was quite simply blown away. Whoever wrote the scripts and put the characters together was nothing short of inspired. I went out straight away and bought series 1 and 2 on DVD and am waiting for series 3 to be delivered. Suffice it to say that when I watched the 3rd episode of series 2 I told my very disinterested cat that it was simply the best drama I have ever seen and that includes virtually all of the Morse episodes. Many congratulations to Kevin Whately and the brilliant new comer Laurence Fox for bringing Lewis to life - I am now joining the millions of other Lewis fans enjoying series 4 - let us hope that ITV have the foresight to invest in many more series - their viewing figures would be assured.

With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic (Pacific TV Tie in)
With the Old Breed: The World War Two Pacific Classic (Pacific TV Tie in)
by Eugene B Sledge

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Work, 21 April 2010
I ordered this book for my son who is studying War and Society in University - based on what I have been told - this book is considered the definitive work on war experience. Having not read it personally I cannot add anything further to this review. I have put 5 stars as a rating based on the feedback I have received from my son
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2010 10:24 PM BST

The Forgotten Garden
The Forgotten Garden
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book right to the end, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
this was a really amazing book with everything from a brilliant romance through to mystery and creepiness. I agree with others that it reads better than the House at Riverton which I have just started but am not enjoying nearly as much. I think the ending is superb. So many good books are let down in the final chapter but this is definitely not one of them. Looking forward to reading her next one if and when it comes out.

42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS)
42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Hours, 9 Oct. 2007
I am new to DS and wanted something I could understand from the outset - just wanted it for solitaire, but havent touched solitaire since the first time I used it!!! the variety of games available is incredible and most are very addictive - no matter what mood you're in you will find something to keep you occupied - if you can only afford to buy one game go for this one.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good But......, 9 Aug. 2007
Just finished DH after trying to last it out as much as possible. Without a doubt this was a very good book, but, like many other followers of HP, nothing ever matched the 3rd book. One of my critisms is the killing of Fred Weasley which I felt to be wholly unnecessary, given the way he died and the fact that his death had no follow up in the book whatsoever. Given that we didnt hear again about the Weasleys as a family unit I wondered why JK bothered to destroy one of the best loved characters in the book. Another disappointment is that we never got to find out what happened to other beloved characters such as Luna and Seamus. And what occupations did Harry and Co end up with?
JK could have done a whole lot more with the epilogue, I am sure she must have realised that readers would want more ends tied up. This lack of info is I feel a very good indication that she intends to continue the saga.