Profile for Mark > Reviews

Mark (Derby)

Garmin Nmaps - Full European Lifetime Map Updates for nuvi series
Garmin Nmaps - Full European Lifetime Map Updates for nuvi series

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, worth doing but a hassle, 6 Sept. 2011
Firstly, the price is much cheaper than on the Garmin website, and very similar to only getting an individual update so well worth doing.
The problem is the very slow download speed, I left mine downloading all night, select download to the computer and not to the unit itself as this is problematic, and the maps were there in the morning.
The next problem is getting the maps onto the unit, I had problems with the Map Install program, so I used the Map Source program which is much better, try to get these programs before downloading.
I have found that deleting the original maps on the unit first in the Garmin folder (backup the satnav just in case) is the best way to do this, this will clear at least 1.6GB on your unit which you can then put all of Western europe on it with the Map install/Source program, then put all the remaining Eastern countries and Turkey/Greece on the SD card, you won't need more than a 1GB card then.
People don't seem to understand that the new maps are getting bigger so they do not all fit on the unit, but you can still get 90 percent of it onto the unit and expand the units capacity with an SD card, I don't see the problem with this and I think that people are unfairly blasting Garmin over this.
Anyway, do not delete the base map( gmapbmap file), only the big map file.
Also, these new maps will always be at least 6 months behind anyway, so don't expect all new roads to be on them.

UPDATE: No need to delete the old map as the Mapsource program will overwrite the maps that are on the Nuvi with the newer maps, but still do not try to put everything on the unit as it does not have the room for the entire Europe map, just put Western Europe on the unit itself and the rest onto an SD card.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 6:42 PM BST

Forever Young
Forever Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't overlook if an 80's electonic music fan!, 15 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Forever Young (Audio CD)
I am very impressed by this album, considering that these are German guys they actually sound very much like the UK bands of that era, Yazoo,Ultravox, Depeche, Human League etc, and they can hold their heads up high if compared, even though not as successful as those others they should still get the recognition they deserve. The songs and keyboard melodies are top notch, creative and memorable and executed perfectly, and Marian Gold's vocals are outstanding and sung in perfect English with a mainly English/ slightly German accent. The vocals range from baritone to falsetto and everything in between including Chris de Berg, and sung with great panache. I was surprised how many songs I recognised apart from the obvious ones, but these others songs are just as good as the hits.
Amazing that this was their debut,definitely check it out if you're a fan of the other bands mentioned.

Brave
Brave

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't see the 'Masterpiece' description, 26 July 2010
This review is from: Brave (Audio CD)
I'm just starting to get into Marillion and I first bought Misplaced, then this album, then Clutching at Straws recently.
I had no preconceptions about Fish versus Hogarth etc, but I definitely think that I'm leaning on the Fish side of a preference now.
I've listened to this in its entirety three times now, but the vocals seem too laid back for me, sometimes almost inaudible, whereas I really enjoy the dynamics of the Fish vocals, he sings his guts out sometimes, unlike Hogarth.
I will keep on listening to this but it seems to be overhyped by reviewers on here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2011 6:19 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 16 July 2010
Yeah, first heard about this card when I was buying my Carribean island, this card is apparently all the rage with the guys down the yacht club at St. Lucia.
So buy with confidence, you will not be disappointed.

Belkin Belkin USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 5-Port PCI Card
Belkin Belkin USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 5-Port PCI Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really a Belkin card!!, 3 July 2010
This is a good card but it is not a Belkin card, not for this price anyway. Mine that arrived is a Digiconnect brand, but it appears well made and it installed and functions well enough.
I saw some similarly priced cards at PC World but they don't look anywhere near as good quality as these ones, so I would recommend these , but remember, they are not Belkin as stated.

Microsoft Outlook 2007 Win32 English AE CD (Academic use only)
Microsoft Outlook 2007 Win32 English AE CD (Academic use only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best program for email, 5 April 2010
I really like this email client, I got used to it at work and I am happy to have it now at home. I've also downloaded the Outlook Connector from Microsoft, which makes Outlook sync with your hotmail account, so no more need to go the MSN site just to get my hotmail, they appear in the Outlook inbox window.
Once you start digging around you'll see that everything is customisable.
This is no different to the full version, no annoying 'non commercial use' headings etc, and arrived from Amazon very fast indeed.

Raleigh 16 Function Cordless Computer (Old Version)
Raleigh 16 Function Cordless Computer (Old Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth having, 1 Jun. 2009
I have found this to be quite useful and now I don't go out biking without it. I was a bit sceptical about the way you attach the sensor as it is with two skinny cable ties, but it is still holding on fine.
The buttons feel a bit clunky to me, but it is nothing important really.
In use it is easily readable, and seems very accurate.
About setting your wheel circumference I read on a bike site that it is better to chalk a line on the floor, and then sit on the bike and move one revolution and chalk that point then measure the distance, and I have to agree that it was more accurate than using your wheel size times pi.

Sony CMT-SPZ90DB Micro Hifi System - With DAB Radio and Cassette Deck
Sony CMT-SPZ90DB Micro Hifi System - With DAB Radio and Cassette Deck

4.0 out of 5 stars Good System, 16 April 2009
After reading mainly positive reviews here I decided to order this system and I am quite happy with it.
It is not as loud as I thought it would be but the sound quality is excellent with huge bass depth.
You need to hang the DAB aerial and not leave it on the floor as it will cut out everytime you walk past.
Ordered it Thursday and it came on Tuesday in a bigger than expected parcel which was a shock, but it is a mid-sized system and not a small midi-system.