Profile for P. Morrison > Reviews

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
Offered by Nottingham HiFi Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Sshhh... Let's keep these secret!, 3 Oct. 2012
I've ended up with these after a bit of trial and error over the last few months. Firstly, my 3 year old pair of CX-300 MK2's packed up and I bought a pair of SoundMAGIC E10's. Good sound, but they fell apart after 2 months. Amazon were great and sent another pair out, which strangely sounded even better, but promptly fell apart after just one month.

I then tried a pair of JVC HA-FX1X, don't go there, trust me.

So, I've now got these MA-350's, and they honestly sound fantastic. With previous earphones I've always had to adjust my equalizer settings to get a sound I was happy with. With these RHA's I've had to give a bit of a cut at 4kHZ and 8kHz (which is normal for me), but these are the first earphones I've ever used where all my sliders from 500Hz and below are set to 0dB. They've got a lovely warm, fast, punchy bass, with a sub-bass that extends far below the E10's.

I've had them less than a week, so hopefully they'll live up to their 3 year warranty, they certainly feel well made. They're comfortable to wear, don't feel at all heavy, feel secure in the ears, and give good isolation. There's good strain relief on the earphones for pulling them out of your ears, and a nice touch is that there's a little dot moulded into the left strain relief, so you can tell which is which without looking (or if it's dark).

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused that these are being given 5 stars, 3 Oct. 2012
I thought I'd give these a try as a result of all the glowing recommendations on here, and as they looked fairly substantial. I'd just been through two pairs of SoundMAGIC E10's (great sound, but fell apart within weeks), and felt that for the money these had got to be worth a try. Well thankfully it was only a waste of £14, these things are awful!

It seems the "bass port" consists of a massive opening behind the driver, so isolation is non-existent. In noisy environments with other earphones I'd previously be running volumes of around 70%, whereas with these even full volume on my device wasn't enough.

I'm surprised these are described as bass heavy, as adjusting my equalizer to get the best sound resulted in +10dB boost at 31Hz. I managed to get a sound that I could tolerate as a result of playing around with my equalizer, but the most annoying thing about these is an apparent mismatch between the left and right drivers. I find that the sound is shifted slightly to the left, then at bass frequencies the sound moves further to the left, but high frequencies move further to the right.

I'd return these as faulty, but I'm sure they're operating as intended. Meanwhile, I've moved on to a pair of RHA MA-350's which sound fantastic, and I've got all my equalizer sliders below 500Hz set to 0dB, in fact they even sound better than the E10's.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black

2.0 out of 5 stars SoundMAGIC - one to watch for the future., 3 Oct. 2012
I bought a pair of E10's to replace a pair of CX300 MK2's, which had failed after 3 years of pretty constant use. Initial impressions of the E10's were much better bass control, but a slight sibilance to vocals. A bit of equalizer adjustment tamed the sibilance issue, and I was quite happily using them, until after just 2 months one of the ear pieces came apart (as other reviewers have said, the glued joint between the two sections had failed).

My first experience of returning a product to Amazon was an absolute breeze, they really are excellent, and another pair of E10's were on their way to me the same day.

The second pair of E10's had me questioning SoundMAGIC's production methods. Visually, they had a slightly different cable, but sonically, they were completely different. The sibilance issue of the first pair was non-existent, and the bass was far louder than the first pair. I was really happy with this second pair, they were the best earphones I'd ever used, right up until the point they fell apart after just one months use!

So, I'd certainly bear SoundMAGIC in mind in future, but they still seem to have a few issues at the moment.

I tried a pair of JVC HA-FX1X after these, don't go there, trust me. But I'm now using a pair of RHA MA-350's, and they really are excellent, I should have bought them in the first place.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 5:12 PM BST

Love 2 Club 2012 [Explicit]
Love 2 Club 2012 [Explicit]

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money! - even for the individual tracks., 6 Feb. 2012
I bought this on the spur of the moment, as my daughter wanted one of the tracks played at her birthday party.

The problem I have with it, is that the continuous mixes are nothing more than a simple overlap of the end/start of each track, and in most cases, not particularly well done. You'd get a similar result by chucking a few tracks into Windows Media Player (or iTunes etc), turning on crossfade, and then recording the result.

The other problem I have with it, is that the individual tracks appear to have been directly ripped from the mixed cd's, and subsequently have overlapped songs at their start and end.

If I'd bought this as a CD, I'd send it back!!!

Sony Blu-ray Disc Remote Control (PS3)
Sony Blu-ray Disc Remote Control (PS3)
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Uses AA batteries, 3 April 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The one piece of information I couldn't find about this controller, was whether it used batteries, or recharged (like the game controllers). Well I can reliably inform you (if you were wondering), that it uses 2 AA batteries (supplied). Other than that, it's a controller, it does exactly what I want it to, it's well made, and I had no trouble pairing it with the console.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2011 11:43 PM BST