ARRAY(0xa7e49744)

Profile for MORTEN AASTAD > Reviews

Content by MORTEN AASTAD

MORTEN AASTAD (Oslo Norway)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Denon DNP-720AE Network Audio Player - Silver
Denon DNP-720AE Network Audio Player - Silver
Offered by HiFix
Price: 199.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a streaming virgin, 21 Mar 2014
I buy CDs, and I buy a lot of them. I am a bit hostile towards streaming and downloading and so forth, but having invested in a new Denon amp and CD player I did realize that I am using Spotify and other things quite often (I get Spotify free with my mobile/cellphone subscription). So, I went for it and I bought this device.

Truth be told, I've only had it for two days and I am a bit confused about some features and functions, but I am now able to stream using airplay directly from my iPad and iPhone, and I think it is a lot of fun. Now I just need to buy and download Airfoil and I'll be able to use my laptop in the same manner.

So, all in all, fun fun for a streaming virgin!

She's The Boss
She's The Boss
Price: 9.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived sans sprockets, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: She's The Boss (Audio CD)
I think the taps that hold the CD in place are called sprockets or summat, but anyhow, they were all broken.

Aside from that, plastic was intact, CD in fine working order, and all is good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2013 7:21 AM BST

Palin's Brazil [DVD]
Palin's Brazil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Palin
Offered by specialinterests
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Into the unknown, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Palin's Brazil [DVD] (DVD)
This documentary brings us a little closer look at the giant country of Brazil. It is a nice journey, lots of pretty photography and nifty facts and so on. Made me want to go. Some aspects are a bit overcooked while others are very briefly touched on (I would've liked to have seen more about their strange capital city of Brazilia).

But the real star of all of this is Michael Palin. He is as pleasant and comforting in all his doings as ever. There may be shortcommings here and there, but none of them are his. That's why this is a 5 star review.

Spirou, Tome 5 : Le groom vert-de-gris
Spirou, Tome 5 : Le groom vert-de-gris
by Olivier Schwartz
Edition: Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously retro., 16 May 2011
I bought this two days ago, here in Oslo. My copy is a hardcover danish edition from Cobolt, a new small danish publisher, which seems to have taken over Spirou (Or Splint as he is known in Danish, Sprint in Norwegian). I love the new artists Schwartz and Yann, and this "old school" version of Spirou is delightful. Moving Spirou into a historical WW2 setting in his native Belgium is also very refreshing. Story is fun and exiting, and I enjoyed it a lot. I hope this marks a new beginning for the series, and success for the new danish publisher as well.

Smack The Pony: The Best Of [DVD]
Smack The Pony: The Best Of [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sally Phillips
Offered by Speedyhen Ltd
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottomsmacking good fun!, 7 July 2009
First, this series is just very very funny. Sort of the female Big Train I suppose. I have had lots of fun watching this in the past, on Swedish and Danish tv.

Why this entire series is NOT available in the UK is beyond me. So many other, marginal, shows are. But then again, Alas Smith & Jones have been anounced since 2005, and STILL the best of DVD is being pulled each time.

No, what you have to do, is find a link to a danish online DVD store (I suppose amazon won't want me to say which) and buy series 1, 2 and 3 seperatly from that fine country. Yes, it is available in its entire run from there, and no, we Scandinavians do not dub, so there's nothing to worry about (The first two series is also available from amazon.de, but dubbed in German, you have to change language track).

So, great show, go get it, anyway you can, or write to those responsible and get them to release the whole series!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2010 12:00 PM GMT

Last Splash
Last Splash
Price: 8.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 10., 22 Jun 2009
This review is from: Last Splash (Audio CD)
A favorite of mine, of sorts, for quite a while. When I first got into Pixies it was around the time I was done with highschool, ca. 1990. But I kept hearing them and then not quite knowing who they were, it took a while longer, but then I saw the movie Pump Up The Volume and got to grips with who I wanted to buy. Here Comes Your Man and all that. So yeah, Pixies, hurray.

Now, as I said, I didn't know much about them, and back in the first half of the 90s I felt too old to buy "Smash Hits", I had lost MTV (and by now of course they don't actually play music anymore) and internet was still a few years away.

One day, on some channel I see this really (to me) cool hot indie chick play, along with a photo double, or twin, (who knew?) and some other people in a really fun video. But the song (Cannonball) really struck a chord with me. So, I may have thought I now had found some music not unlike Pixies or Smashing Pumpkins. So, i went out and I bought Last Splash by the Breeders. Enjoyed it for a while, and then someone stole it from me at film college in Denmark.

Getting it again, finally, I now know who Kim Deal is. She was, and is, the one who wrote fewer, but often better songs during Pixies first half life, then was told by the *leader* "no, only my songs! I'm so much better, this is my toy!", and then left par time to form the band The Breeders with her smack head twin sister. So, this was my oppinion by the way, here's what I think. This album is the best Pixies never made. If some guy had been a little more interested in his band as a project evolving, and less interested in bossanova and spacebeings, then someone else could have delivered these really snappy, right in your face songs, and the Pixies could have gone on and everyone would have, perhaps stayed happy.

That's my "theory". Probably full of holes, but I was using it all to project how much I like this album, and how I hold Kim Deal in the highest of regard.

Rock on! Or not, you know, whatever.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona [DVD]
Vicky Cristina Barcelona [DVD]
Dvd ~ Penelope Cruz
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Barcelona Women Mysteries, 22 Jun 2009
Woody Allen can never make Manhattan or Annie Hall again. Simply put, the world isn't smart enough for that brand of movie being made. people don't get that way of communicating, studios don't get why anyone would make a movie for the art and so on. Woody himself isn't that person anymore. he is a man in his 70s, and he can't keep stooping these young women. That being said, it could be nice to see him as an old man, married to a woman his own age, in some sort of adventure, not unlike Manhattan Murder Mysteries again, but, what with the US studios not fronting him the cash, I guess he won't make movies where he ties up parts of Manahattan again?

All that being said, Woody Allen is timeless, yet he keeps fresh, and keeps up with current actors and so on. His language may at times seem a bit archaic, but I don't think we suffer from hearing people talk properly. The actors he works with adore him and the freedom he offers them. He is an actors director, trusting that they know their craft. That shows, also in this movie.

Should you preffer humour and cringe at drama with people behaving in a... sexually embarrassing way,w ell then this is probably not the movie for you.

If you love watching movies where the relationship between human beings, with all their beauty, all their faults, desires, cruelty, egotism and horny behaviour out there for all to see, well, then this is the movie for you.

Sure, Woody doesn't have a real grasp of Europe anno 2008, or for that matter, New York, but I love him for it. The fact that he ignores what people think he should do, and ignores the bland movie making going on these days, and just does his thing. He is my hero, and I am not ashamed to say so.

I loved this movie, it was a real shot in the arm for his body of work (I couldn't stand Cassandra's Dream), and I reccomend it warmly.

However, my top 3 Woody Allen movies of all time, are still Manhattan, Stardust Memories and Broadway Danny Rose.

Ten - Pearl Jam [Collectors Edition: Box Set]
Ten - Pearl Jam [Collectors Edition: Box Set]
Price: 102.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A monument to grunge., 23 Mar 2009
Back in the early 90s I personally had no specific tastes in music. highschool was just over, I was doing my national service in the army, 80s were over, things seemed a bit bland as far as I remember. I guess I was still sort of a lapsed Depeche Mode, The Cure, Echo kind of fan... I hadn't listened to Heavy Metal properly for 5 years or so. Biggest album for me in 1990-91 was The La's debute.

Then this mamoth of an album broke on the World.

I had heard Smells Like Teen Spirit and all that, but I tend to avoid whatever everyone suddenly likes, but then came Pearl Jam. And I was hooked line and sinker.

To this day I remember falling in love with Grunge. The whole Seattle scene, the people, the style, or lack there of. I didn't mind people calling music like this Grunge. I still don't. The bands might not have liked it then, or now, but I don't care, to me Grunge was and is a period in musical history that had an effect on me and my tastes.

Ok, so I didn't have the internet then, and some bands never caught my attention. Back then we had to rely on MTV (even in Norway) to tell us what was what (I never was a big radio listener, and what would that have mattered anyhow?), so I thought Stome Temple Pilots were part of it all (I suppose they were sort of, but from San Diego, who knew?), loved them, and I thought Alice in Chains were the same band as Soul Asylum (So, I hated them). Now I know better. Now I even think Nirvana was great, but that's Dave's doing, with his Foo Fighters.

Now I listen to Soundgarden, Alice, Sreaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Stone Temple Pilots and even L7. And yes, I keep them all on my ipod under my Grunge Playlist. So, maybe they don't agree, I don't know, I don't care, because Pearl Jam and their fantastic album Ten (and subsequent masterpiece VS.) caught me on my jaw with their sublime music, great lyrics and of course the otherworldly voice of Eddie Vedder.

This is where it all began to me, my musical moment of being young and defining my music. Even watching Singles on videotape a half million times.

This set it sublime. It holds such treasures to a Pearl Jam fan, it really needs to be seen. And heard. My biggest love in here so far is the MTV unplugged DVD. I have wanted to see this for years. Having seen Alice in Chains and Nirvanas set pieces out on DVD for quite a while now, it was about time.

The photo's are really fun to look through, some of the stuff is, well, fluff I suppose, but this isn't for the casual Pearl Jam listener, this is for the fans out there who absolutely adore them. And since I do, I can tell you, if you too adore them, this is well worth the wait and the cost.

A monumental piece of rock history this. Like the singer of Black Flag said. Nirvana might have been the band everyone considers the shining light of Grunge, but Pearl Jams Ten, you can't walk for 30 minutes in the Jungles of Brazil without finding a copy of... Or something to that effect.

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy: The Complete Line Up (3 Disc Box Set) [1984] [DVD]
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy: The Complete Line Up (3 Disc Box Set) [1984] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eddie Murphy
Offered by rileys dvds
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 + 1 + 0 = 5 stars., 2 Feb 2009
I can't really write anything about the movies people haven't allready said. The first movie is a great 80s icon, with the right music, the right young star, the right humour and the formula. Adding to the things we allready saw in 48 hours. The second movie is a great variation of the first, more expensive and a fine example of Tony Scotts directing. The third movie is a contrived unpleasant affair, trying to live on the merrits of the previous, made into a "lets not offend anyone" Disney type affair with a star who can't do anything right at the time.

But those first two movies are the stuff of legend, and when you combine the two with the fine DVD transfer, the handy little box and an amazing price, well, then you have the recepie for a 5 star purchase.

Comic Strip Presents - Complete Collection [DVD]
Comic Strip Presents - Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Saunders
Price: 32.90

3.0 out of 5 stars The good news are the Bad News., 17 July 2008
This is very good if you are interested in the history of some of the current greats in British TV Comedy. People like Rick Mayal, Adrian Edmondson, Nigel Planer (Known from Bad News featured here, The Young Ones, Filthy, Rich & Catflap, The New Statesman and Bottom). Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders (French & Saunders, The Vicar of Dibley and Absolutely Fabulous) as well as guests like Keith Allen, Robbie Coltrane and Alexei Sayle.

The episodes, or little films themselves, however are mostly hit and miss. A lot of this doesn't work at all, and I'm fairly sertain it never did either. Bad News, the story (told twice) of an incredibly useless heavy metal band is the best known in this set, and the one that still works. Very much a british Spinal Tap, the bands utter ignorance of their own shortcommings is still a treat to behold to this day, and almost worth the set in its own right. Specialy, if you have nothing but a 20 year old VHS tape from before.

So get this, but be warned, laughs could be quite far between, and the interest curve may dip quite often.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5