Profile for vegitoblade > Reviews

RSPB Pocket Guide to British Birds
RSPB Pocket Guide to British Birds
by Simon Harrap

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for amateur birders, 13 Jan. 2012
I am an amateur birdwatcher with some basic experience with Indian birds. When I moved to England, I purchased this book to get me started identify local birds in this area.

This book is very reasonably priced and high quality stuff indeed. It measures approx 17*11.5*1 cm, which means you can carry it in a coat pocket rather than requiring a backpack just for the book. Also, right at the start of the book, there are some quality tips about starting birdwatching, binoculars and a field notebook, all of which I found immensely useful.

The birds are organised by family and are also colour coded for easy reference. I have been able to find all the varieties of birds I spotted pretty easily in the book. Also MOST HELPFUL - It includes the sounds each bird makes which is really useful when trying to identify a bird. Also, the size, scientific name, a brief description and the habitat of the bird is concisely given. Every bird has multiple illustrations for different sex, seasons and age. Also: A map of Britain showing where the bird is found is on each page.

Highly recommended for all amateur birders and those who want to start birding.