Profile for M B views > Reviews

Connoisseur Songbook
Connoisseur Songbook
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars poor sound quality, 29 July 2015
This review is from: Connoisseur Songbook (Audio CD)
I searched around for a compilation that was (a) affordable and (b) had most of my favourite tracks; and, to be fair this album ticks both boxes. but the reason for only three stars is the sound quality! if quality is the right word.... it sounds like a direct transfer from rather old vinyl recordings. even in the car with the inevitable background noises it isn't good. maybe it's just that they tried to squeeze too much material onto one disk. anyway it was really cheap so, "am I bothered." but regardless, you have been warned. I'm off now to search for a better option!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2015
I brought this as a present for a friend. She loves it.

The French Lieutenant's Woman [DVD] [1981]
The French Lieutenant's Woman [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars buyer beware., 15 Jun. 2015
love the film. it's everything other reviewers have said; but, buyer beware! my copy was square not wide screen: my error I guess,for not checking the small print. hence the 4 stars. so buythe film but check the screen size.

Simplicity Sewing Pattern 1887 - Misses' Pants & Skirts Sizes: K5 (8-10-12-14-16)
Offered by LILLYVINTAGE

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jun. 2015
Great pattern

Modesty Blaise - The Killing Distance
Modesty Blaise - The Killing Distance
by Peter ODonnell

5.0 out of 5 stars five star modesty., 27 April 2015
three more enjoyable tales pitting modesty and willie against (almost) impossible odds. it never ceases to amaze me how odonnell and romero make their characters so "real" within such a restrictive (three panels a day) format. I love that willie and modesty are not perfect; they make mistakes. I love their gentle sense of humour. I love their humanity; killing the enemy, however evil they are, is always (almost always) a last resort.. their relationship is pivotal to the whole series
one small gripe this volume has two strips missing just at the climax of the first story. it doesn't ruin the tale but it is annoying I don't think this has happened in any of the other collections. perhaps they'll print the missing strips in the next collection. anyway, it doesn't stop me giving "the killing distance" a whopping five stars. s.

6 x SUPREME QUALITY MUSLIN SQUARES 100% COTTON 72X 72CM (CREAM & YELLOW)
6 x SUPREME QUALITY MUSLIN SQUARES 100% COTTON 72X 72CM (CREAM & YELLOW)
Offered by The Planet Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Mar. 2015
These washed uP fine. Made nice backings for my bibs and burp cloths

Dr. Strange Vs. Dracula: The Montesi Formula TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
Dr. Strange Vs. Dracula: The Montesi Formula TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Steve Englehart

5.0 out of 5 stars underrated gem, 18 April 2014
I bought this several years ago primarily for the awesome gene colan art in the first two chapters, and although I read the rest of the story it failed to make much of an impression; the art was weaker (imo) and I didn't really "get" the story. But recently I reread the book. The gene colan chapters are still gorgeous; but this time I realised how good the rest of the book is. chapter four cleverly links back to a doctor strange story from about three years previously (dr. strange 38) that was never properly tied up. And chapter 5 references "thor" # 332-333 where (I think) the "new" dracula first appeared. the story then weaves through avengers mansion (where the darkhold was seemingly secured after "avengers" #187) towards its very satisfactory conclusion. On the way hanibal king, blade and frank drake (from the tomb of Dracula series) become involved as do captain marvel and the scarlet witch (from the avengers) the art(by dan green and terry austin) is much better than I remembered; not quite up to gene colan's standards but quite adequate and, at times, surprisingly atmospheric. the final chapter is drawn by steve leialoha; nice as it is I think I'd have preferred green and austin to have finished off the story themselves. finally the main reason this story is so good is down to the writer roger stern. his clear and clever plot, knowledge of the characters involved and attention to detail shine through every page. (now if only they'd trade paperback his "life-times" doctor strange stories that he did with marshall rogers and michael golden just previous to this run I'd be a very happy man.)

The New Teen Titans: Terra Incognito
The New Teen Titans: Terra Incognito
by Marv Wolfman

5.0 out of 5 stars wolfman and perez at their best., 12 Jan. 2014
no arguments with the other reviewers; these are terrific stories, two creators at their very best. exciting well told stories with the tragic tarra markov subplot gradually unfolding; though it doesn't reach it's climax until the next teen titans graphic novel "the judas contract" (which unfortunately is now a little difficult to obtain at a reasonable price.). currently it's probably cheaper to get the stories from both graphic novels in "the new teen titans omnibus vol. 2" but personally I don't like collections so huge my arms hurt reading them. finally, amazon give a creator credit to hitori nakando. I have no idea who he/she is but for ages I put off buying this book fearing it was a Japanese translation. it isn't.

The Best of John Denver
The Best of John Denver
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars country re runs?, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
Most of the John Denver classics are here (although not "jet plane" or "poems prayers and promises" or "the eagle and the hawk") However, they're not the original recordings but re-recorded (by John Denver) sometime later: and in my opinion they are not a patch on the originals; too much orchestra drowning out the songs. A much better album is "a songs best friend", original recordings, with just about all the best songs and selling for just about the same price

A Song's Best Friend: The Very Best of John Denver
A Song's Best Friend: The Very Best of John Denver

5.0 out of 5 stars country magic, 3 Dec. 2013
I'm not a big country music fan. I'm not a great John Denver fan: but the selection of tracks on this album are, in my opinion, just about the best tunes the man ever wrote and sang. (amazon give you the songs list). As far as I can tell these are all original recordings. Some time later in his career John Denver re- recorded several of his most popular songs saying he felt his voice was better and more mature. (for a taste of these versions listen to his 2004 "Best Of" album). Personally I infinitely prefer the original recordings on this album; they have a warmth, sincerity and charm that is sadly lacking in the over- orchestrated retakes. Coupled with very informative sleve notes this is an absolute steal at amazon's current prices. Oh, and just to add there are two versions of this cd. One has a second "bonus" disc comprising of five totally forgettable out takes. My advice; buy whichever version is cheaper.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4