Profile for C. Arthur > Reviews

Samsung Electronics and the Struggle for Leadership of the Electronics Industry
Samsung Electronics and the Struggle for Leadership of the Electronics Industry
Price: 11.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks a clear narrative structure, 28 Jan 2012
Samsung is an increasingly important company, but this book only gives glimpses into what must be a complicated business to try to analyse. The problem I found was that there isn't a clear narrative: we don't start in one place and proceed to the next. It's not clear how it proceeds, whether Sony is really the principal rival or if it should be LG.

The narrative wouldn't have to be chronological, but it needs to make sense. We get the story of the destruction of usatisfactory mobile phones twice, but the versions contradict each other in their importance. What we never discover is precisely what Samsung's driving aim is (is it profit? Market share? Make the best possible product for the customer and cut out the middleman? We don't know). The lack of direct interviews with anyone from Samsung also weakens it. I worked through, but it was a struggle.

Yessongs
Yessongs

3.0 out of 5 stars MP3: beware what you do and don't get, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: Yessongs (MP3 Download)
I owned this on vinyl years ago (yes, a triple album it was). This review is specifically about the MP3 download version. Beware: it includes studio tracks that interrupt the flow of the live album.

Very annoyed to find that it's not the triple album; it's some (most?) of that, plus some tracks from other albums.

Yessongs, yup, I did want that. But if I'd wanted to buy Fragile or The Yes Album, or tracks from that, I would have bought those. So I'm not pleased to find that this contains two tracks from those studio albums. It's a LIVE album (or was originally) so let's have the LIVE tracks.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to screw up the track listing of what is a really great live album (echo everything that people say about Alan White's drumming) by including studio tracks: that was stupid, and means I'm going to be very wary about downloads. Though of course you have to be very wary of *everything* in back catalogue these days, especially if it contains the dreaded word "remastered". This usually means "higher-priced and not sounding as good as you remember it, and possibly with fewer tracks too." There's a version of Yessongs over on iTunes which fits that moniker exactly - avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2012 4:52 PM BST

The Story Of I
The Story Of I
Price: 8.29

1.0 out of 5 stars No, no, no - don't be persuaded, 3 July 2004
This review is from: The Story Of I (Audio CD)
I originally bought this album 20-odd years ago on vinyl, when all the Yes people were doing solo albums. I recalled being vaguely unimpressed by all but one track at the time, but thought since I've listened to and enjoyed a huge amount that's completely different (White Stripes? Fantastic) that maybe the reviews here were right, and that this was really better than I recalled.
No, it's not. Thank god I only spent a fiver (through a merchant). It's dire: pointless twiddling, decent Brazilian rhythm backings spoilt by indulgent keyboards. And the lyrics have to be the worst in English, perhaps created by the "cut-up cliche" method ("Saturday.. stuck in the middle with you.. best days of our lives").
In short: avoid. It's just a pity that CD plants are turning this out when there must be more deserving stuff by new bands that's getting turned down. One star as there's about 30 seconds which are vaguely interesting (a rallantendo with slowing tremolo, since you ask). And that's it. It's not staying on my iPod, for sure.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 1:01 AM GMT

Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers (Pimlico)
Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers (Pimlico)
by Harold Evans
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to be a journalist? To write well? Read this, 18 Feb 2004
When I got my first job as a journalist, the first thing I did was to buy this book (when it was called "Newsman's English" - nice new non-seixt title, I see) and the other four in the group. They're all essential in understanding how newspapers work, if that's what you want to do; this one is key for writing tight prose, which too few people do.
Now I'm a journalist on a national newspaper, I think I can partly thank this book for the help. It's an ideal tool for the job. I reread it every couple of years. It's still true.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 29, 2012 4:37 AM GMT

Band of Gypsys
Band of Gypsys
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 18.54

5.0 out of 5 stars The least-known, and yet by far the best, 1 Dec 2003
This review is from: Band of Gypsys (Audio CD)
Ask someone randomly selected in the street what the best Jimi Hendrix track, or album is, and it'll be a long time before you'll hear them mention Band Of Gypsies. And yet compared to the Experience albums (which all sound dated, with harsh mixes and disconnected drums and bass) this is tight, and inventive, and stands the test of time: I listen to other Hendrix tracks and then I hear one of these, and it compares with anything being written by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, or any grunge band, or anyone you care to mention.
Hendrix plays enormous, whooping guitar lines; the bass and drums are a solid driving unit; and the vocals are right up front. It's a fantastic album that is still brilliant more than 30 years after it was recorded. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

The Big Blind
The Big Blind
by Louise Wener

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny sad happy book, 19 May 2003
This review is from: The Big Blind (Paperback)
That's what this is: a funny, sad, happy book. Probably it would have been easy for her to do another book set in the area she knows, music, but instead she has branched out into something different, into poker, the sort found in family backrooms and dingy flats and the internet. Her heroine is unusual, a woman who sorts her peas into prime number groups, and has a background note of loss in her life from her father, missing, presumed playing poker. Wener is constantly readable; sometimes the chapters are short, bite-sized gulps, sometimes big pieces you bite off, but always page-turning. And she's especially good at describing the texture of real life, the gritty detail that makes up any day.. or night.