Profile for Jan Howard > Reviews

Hild
Hild
by Nicola Griffith

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Hild (Paperback)
Brilliant. I hope the sequel comes out soon.

The Garden
The Garden
by Vita Sackville-West

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad it's available and am grateful, 23 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Garden (Paperback)
It was really helpful to find a printed copy of this at a price I could afford. I'm glad it's available and am grateful. However, the production is a bit disappointing. I think it's one of those books that are scanned and then printed from the digitised version that the scan produces. I think it would be much improved if the formatting/page layout had been "tidied up" before printing. Still, I don't suppose there's a lot of demand for this poem so this is very much better than nothing. It's just that I wouldn't want to give it as a gift.

Red Pashmina Shawl Large Oversize Scarf Fairtrade
Red Pashmina Shawl Large Oversize Scarf Fairtrade
Offered by Froxinabox

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful garment. I already have one in dark blue ..., 12 Sept. 2015
A really useful garment. I already have one in dark blue and have used it often this summer. The temperature is so variable and I found was forever adding or removing another layer, usually a cardigan. I don't really like cardigans. The buttons are such a fiddle and I don't think they suit me very much. These scarves are so easy to wear and make like so much more comfortable. I used to think of this sort f thing as only useful for formal occasions, but I've found this scarf works with jeans or leggings and Ts, or summer dresses. For instance, it's really heplful when I'm shopping the fridge aisles in the supermarket. I think I get more chilled than the food! So I've sent for this red one for the Autumn. It will work with autumn colours. Im the winter I'll go back to the big wool scarves I like, but for the seasons when wool seems wrong, these scarves are ideal. I agree with all the other positive reviews. The quality is lovely and they are very fairly priced.

Zinc Galvanised Black Cone Planter - Small H32.5cm x D26cm
Zinc Galvanised Black Cone Planter - Small H32.5cm x D26cm
Offered by Primrose

5.0 out of 5 stars Look lovely and last well., 11 Aug. 2015
I'm really pleased with this planter. I have several. They are wearing well. This is the third year they've been in use. I drop read- planted hanging baskets (after removing the hangers) from Aldi into them and they (with regular dead heading, daily watering and weekly feeding ) flower away quite beautifully. The plastic planters that Aldi use for their hanging baskets are the only container I've found that fits these galvanised pots exactly so I' keep them (after discarding the "used" contents) from year to year. I find it's easy to refill with a bit of compost and transplant into them from other ready planted but wrong sized containers (also purchased from Aldi).

In the winter I use the artificial balls, box and lavender, in the pot, which adds interest to a winter garden. I know this sounds really lazy and not "proper "gardening, but I'm disabled and this method has enabled me to keep my garden bright and beautiful with minimum cost and effort.

I wish I could find bigger plastic plant pots that "fit" to use as inners - I wish they could be offered for sale at the same time as these metal pots - but I don't know if they're even made. I've tried several different shapes and sizes but none are quite right. Even though some will go in, and would be fine for the plants, the three or four inch section showing above the top of the metal outer doesn't look very elegant. It's the elegance I like

Artificial topiary needs to be tied into the pots. I do this by looping a wire through the plastic ball and taking itt hrough the hole in the bottom of the metal pot. I use a nail or something to stop the wire slipping back through the hole. Also, the pots are light so need to be weighted with stones to stop the wind blowing them over. I bought a bag of pebbles from the builder's merchants nearby.

I'd be reluctant to plant directly into the metal pots. I think it would shorten their life. Also I've heard that black pots absorb the heat and can act like an oven, cooking the roots of the plants! Using an inner prevents this problem.

All the above is by-the-way - I expect everybody will use these in their own way. The main thing is that they're good quality, last well and look elegant, while letting the flowers be the star of the show.

Numatic Vacuum Cleaner Hose Assembly
Numatic Vacuum Cleaner Hose Assembly

5.0 out of 5 stars The original hose is longer and great for the garden, 25 April 2015
This is just right for me. I have a Henry which I use for outside work, but occasionally I want to use it indoors. The original hose is longer and great for the garden, but I found it a bit hard to manage bdoors. (Also, outdoor work can leave it a bit scruffy.) This shorter one is perfect and a very good price. So now I have an "indoor set" of Henry add ons - hose, tools, re-usable bag, the long chrome pipe, floor cleaning head. All I have to do is bring the body of the Henry in and off I go with a clean vac.

Henry Numatic Cloth Vacuum Zip Bag Washable & Reusable compatible with Henry Basil James Hetty & Edward
Offered by KGA-SUPPLIES

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a good price., 28 Feb. 2015
A good buy. I am very satisfied with this washable zipped bag for my Henry, and would buy again. They will do the job very well.

However, just as a matter of information, for other people considering purchase.: I bought, at the same time, zippable bags from the Numatic site. These cost almost three times as much! but are described as a "high filtration". I suffer from breathing difficulties so thought they might suit me better. They are different from the cheaper bags. They are made of a thicker, slightly less flexible, fabric. They are excellent and I am glad to have them. However the fabric of the cheaper ones here is more than adequate, perfectly fine, especially for people without "special needs". I use my Henry in the garden as well as the house so will use the cheaper bag outside, keeping the higher filtration for indoors.

Stretch Fitted Lycra High Turtle Neck Bodice Bodysuit Body Leotard Top T Shirt (Navy,S/M)
Offered by krisp clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 1 Oct. 2014
I am really pleased with this high neck leotard. It is of excellent quaity, the fabric being substantial but with plenty of "stretch". It has a really good "feel", both on the hanger and in wear. I usually wear size 10 - 12 clothes, but I have found that other leotards bought online have been too small so I was a bit nervous when I ordered this. Was pleased to find it a really comfortable fit, but I could have been a bit smaller or a bit bigger and it would still have been fine. Having bought one in navy I then ordered another, plus two in brown. I like to wear them as a base layer in the cooler weather, but these would also be fine as a sweater with skirts or trousers. Not a bit "see through". It is a very dark navy, which I like. The fastening at the bottom is hook and eye, not popper, which I thought might be a bit awkward in wear, but I find there is no probem. Not really important, I suppose, but I liked the way ithe leotards were packed - simply, in tissue, with a very nice ribbon tie. Shows that the suppliers take a pride in their product. In this case I think this pride is justified.

Ladies/Girls Small Canvas Shoulder Handbag Travel crossbody Bag (Brown)
Ladies/Girls Small Canvas Shoulder Handbag Travel crossbody Bag (Brown)
Offered by Hide and Sleek ®

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, apart from the label., 15 Sept. 2014
I ordered one of each of these bags, in brown black and olive. I like them very much. They are a sensible size, well made, in good quality materials. I have found in the past,that straps on this type of bag can sometimes be a bit "cheap" , but the strap on these bags are of the same material as the bag and are of good quality. All in all, a good buy.

However, I have deducted one star because there is a label stitched into the front flap on the right hand side, which sticks out like a little flag. It is red silk with the word "Rocklands" woven into it in white. It is one and a half inches x half an inch (sorry - can't do fractions on this keyboard). The long side is stitched into the edge of the flap, the short side sticks out.

Again, it is nice quality, quite decorative , and might please people who like labels. I don't. Normally I would unpick it but the stitching is part of the stitching of the flap so this isn't an option. It is vey neatly and carefully done so if I tried to cut it away I risk damaging the fabric of the bag. Also, the bit I couldn't remove would, I think, still be visible. I decided not to return the bag because it will be very useful and, apart from this label, is just what I wanted. I only mention it because you can't see it on any of the photographs and I wish I'd known before I ordered. I might well still have ordered because I can't see another bag as good as this elsewhere but I would still have liked to know.

Q Connect L-Shape Metal Bookends
Q Connect L-Shape Metal Bookends

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sept. 2014
Really good quality at a very fair price. - A good weight and size.

HomeGlow B-Warm Heated Chair Seat Cover
HomeGlow B-Warm Heated Chair Seat Cover
Offered by Millercare Mobility Specialists

5.0 out of 5 stars This will be a blessing, 9 Sept. 2014
I have just fitted one of these to my Lafuma zero gravity chair and it is wonderful.

I could have been made for the Lafuma (and the many copies which are now available, except that you need to fit it slightly differently. There is a very intelligent fitting system (good quality strong black fabric and velcro) which stops it slipping about. Obviously, it is designed for an arm chair .

On the Lafuma you have to use the long strap, designed to keep the cover in place at the join between back and seat, to secure the black fabric panel (that goes behind the back of the chair) to the metal frame of the Lafuma back. (There is an L shaped piece of plastic which is redundant on a Lafuma which is now on one side in case I ever want to use this heated pad on an armchair.) You fit the black panel the opposite way to that shown in the instructions, i.e."upside down". You fit a big buckle to the blue pad and what they call the bottom (which you now have as the top) of the black panel also goes through this buckle. There are straps which originally meant to go round the armchair legs which you fix round the Lafuma back frame . These hold it all in place. However, the velcro fixings aren't positioned quite right for an entirely secure hold so also use the long strap (see first sentence of this paragraph) to make it entirely secure. Wrap this long strap round the Lafume back frame, below the "leg" straps and under the black panel, It's then possible to velcro the black fabric panel to the long strap.

What they call the top (and you now have as the bottom) is easily fitted to the bottom of the Lafuma back frame simply by folding under and velcroing. You use this to adjust tension at any point. NB. All the velcro mentioned here is already on the provided straps and panels apart from the homemade strap between the back and the seat, discussed in the paragraph below.

I used "Velcro Self Gripping Ties 30mm x 5m Black VEL60254" - available on Amazon - to secure the heated seat pad at the angle between back and seat, taking it round the pad (on top) and the Lafuma fabric seat - not the frame. I then cut a couple of narrow strips from my roll of" self gripping ties" to secure the home made strap to the frame. Perfect.

All this sounds a shambles but it is very very neat and absolutely secure. The quality of te supplied fittings is very very good. The chair works as easily as ever, though perhaps needed a little more effort just at first. The pad also seemed a little stiff at first, reducing the "hammock" effect of the chair but it has all settled in after a few hours sitting/relaxing and is very comfortable. I shall make sure the tension is OK on the Lafuma cover because I believe it's important to support the wires of the heating pad properly. They must be quite forgiving but there must be a limit. Also, obviously, I wouldn't use it outdoors because rain and electrics don't go together!! DANGER! DANGER!

The colour of my heating pad is lovely, but not like that shown the photo here. It is a rich navy - nearer to the blue than the black . Is it called French Navy? I'm not sure, This gives a better impression http://www.houseofbath.co.uk/shop/b-warm-home-glow-heated-seat-pad/fp211/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=1117#colour:,size: but there isn't an orange stripe round it thank goodness! I think this is meant to suggest a cosy glow.

Sorry to go on but I believe this pad will be such a blessing through the colder months. It's really warm. I keep my chair in the conservatory which I love, but can't afford to heat just for me. (Family have contributed to this heated pad as a gift to me. I am so lucky!) I think this pad will give me the chance to enjoy the light and the space and the garden for many more months. It will be a blessing. Thanks to whoever designed and made it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4