Profile for BendyRuby > Reviews

Content by BendyRuby

BendyRuby

The Lost City of Z: A Legendary British Explorer's Deadly Quest to Uncover the Secrets of the Amazon
by David Grann

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Adventure, 22 Jan 2013
I love books like these, true stories that would rival any work of fiction. Especially ones set in by gone era's. Definitely worth a read if you are interested in adventure....and even if your not.

A Corkscrew Is Most Useful: The Travellers of Empire
A Corkscrew Is Most Useful: The Travellers of Empire
by Nicholas Murray
Price: 10.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as promising as I imagined, 22 Jan 2013
I read this book on holiday 2012. Perhaps this put the book at an instant disadvantage as I was in Japan & Australia & my surroundings kept me occupied. Even during spells in the airport I wasn't compelled to pick this book up as I normally would do. It basically just wasn't interesting enough.
The book felt overly long & the subject matter became repetitive rather than enthralling. I do love reading about the Victorian era & their flights of fancy but this really just left me feeling cold.

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures Of Stanley And Livingstone
Into Africa: The Epic Adventures Of Stanley And Livingstone
by Martin Dugard
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Adventure Story, 22 Jan 2013
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I felt it was well researched & written & had a way of immersing you into the jungle with its subject matter, the equally formidable Livingston & Stanley.
The book really does catapult you not only to a hostile environment but a completely different era and I found it fascinating to read of times gone by.
I enjoy reading of times gone by but this is a story to rival any great works of fiction. Real life really is more marvelous & anyone who has not read this story should put it on their bucket list.

Bad Boy Drive: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson: The Wild Life and Fast Times of Marlon ... Hopper, Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson
by Robert Sellers

3.0 out of 5 stars A long magazine article, 22 Jan 2013
I received this book as a Christmas gift and it has probably taken me around 2 weeks to read. It is not a long book, just over 300 pages but I know if it was more enthralling I would have read this quicker.
It's not a bad book by all accounts but you generally feel as though you are just skimming the surface of the actors lives rather than feeling any real connection. I didn't really like how the book jumped continually from actor to actor. Probably only a few pages at most at one time before skipping onto the next actor. I felt this made the book feel fragmented as you just start to get into say, Jack Nicholson's story before you are whipped off to Marlon Brando. Again a few pages before being whisked off to Dennis Hopper.
To sum up this book I would say light reading, perfect to slip in & out of rather than get your teeth into. Nothing more substantial than a magazine article...I prefer autobiographical books with a bit more meat about them.