Profile for Jason Hoyle > Reviews

Beginning Android Games
Beginning Android Games
Price: 12.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A tedious struggle! - but very good!, 8 Nov 2013
There have been a fair amount of good reviews about this book, and it may be that they are entirely justified. But I just found it tedious and boring. I'm not one of the worlds natural programmers, but I get by (I even have several apps on the app store and google play), so if I'm to learn a programming topic the book has to grab me right from the start with a compelling experience. This book rambled on with technical details for what seemed like ages. Now I know that games programming is a tough subject but there are plenty of books out there that manage to get you into it quickly and effectively. I can't tell you how many times I woke up with my Kindle resting on my chin covered in drool whilst I tried to read this book.

Do please note that the book may be great, I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that I lost interest in it way before it may have got compelling. I need things moving on a screen within 5 pages, I don't want to have to wade through chapters of dry material beforehand.

UPDATE: Since I wrote this review I have spent more time with the book and I stand by my comments, BUT have a new found admiration for the authors knowledge of the subject. It is still a bit of a slog before you get to the good stuff, and I think it would have benefitted from some class diagrams to make it a bit clearer, but this is a good book. As such I have upgraded my two star review to a four star review. But, if the author reads this review please try and make the first half of the book more exciting!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 12:33 PM GMT

Very Awkward Tax: A bite-size guide to VAT for small business
Very Awkward Tax: A bite-size guide to VAT for small business
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It's free, so why not, 1 July 2013
This book seems to cover all the salient points briefly. I say "seems to" because it is fairly brief and I would have usually expected a huge tome that would be boring and weighty and covering the minutest detail.

It is ironic that in normal circumstances I would complain that a book like this would be too big and contain dull narrative, and yet when a book comes along that only gives you just enough info I'm left with a suspicion that I'm not being told everything.

Anyway, I literally read it in 15 mins and I'm satisfied that I know what to do with my VAT now, so job done :-)