Profile for Bazz2004 > Reviews

Content by Bazz2004

Bazz2004 (Willenhall,, West Midlands United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sophie's World
Sophie's World

5.0 out of 5 stars How it installed for me with XP Home 32 bit., 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Sophie's World (CD-ROM)
Having read a lot of comments about being unable to run it under XP. I thought I'd post a review while how to do it is fresh in my mind. It's an unusual and fascinating program - the book is just as good. It's sad to see excellent stuff like this going to waste. Any beginning Philosophy student would love it.

Sophie's World was designed to run in Windows 95 and needed a patch to work in W98. That's no help with later systems though. Forget Vista, W7 and W8/8.1 but, hopefully, it will run for you in Windows XP. Delighted to have it running again after many years I then tried the same procedure on a Windows 7 computer running XP as a virtual OS in VMWare Player. That didn't go well. It ran in a small window and when I tried to fiddle with the display settings everything went very wrong so be warned.

Windows XP Home SP3 32 bit installation then. Put in the disc and open/explore the CD. You're looking for "SETUP.EXE" Right click it and choose Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab. Tick these boxes: Compatibility mode for Windows 95, run in 640x480 screen resolution, disable visual themes and turn off advanced text services for this program. Click Apply then OK. Now double click on the SETUP.EXE file and the game should install, but firstly read on about the error message I had. You'll be asked to choose an install option and I picked "Maximum." Next there was an error message "The file C:WINDOWS\System 32\MSVCRT.DLL is in use and cannot be installed - - - - - - - - " I clicked on Ignore and the installation completed successfully. "Would you like to add Sophie's World to the Start Menu?" Yes. Make sure you don't install MSN!

No way do I guarantee this as a universal solution but it worked for me and If you already have the game there's nothing to lose. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled again with no problems. If the game isn't running full screen read the next paragraph. To close Sophie's World move the cursor to the bottom of the game window and a ribbon opens with the Quit option at the left.

Here's more good news if you have XP Pro SP3 32 bit. The same installation procedure worked on my second desktop but with the game running in a small window. To get it to start full screen click Start in the toolbar, All Programs and find the round blue icon that launches Sophie's World. Right click to get to Properties and make the same changes to Compatibility settings as before. Now it runs full screen.

If you are using say a virtual copy of XP as with VMPlayer I think that if it goes wrong that's it. I cannot install the game now although everything else seems OK. Maybe if I'd used the same procedure as in the last paragraph it would have also run full screen.

CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker with Caller Display - Black
CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker with Caller Display - Black
Price: 57.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Call Blocker is easy to fit and you don't need to worry about ..., 10 Sep 2014
I installed this just under 3 months ago. What worried me was that the main telephone socket is provided by Virgin is upstairs and our house has 4 dect phones. Obviously running upstairs to push the red button isn't an option. Call Blocker is easy to fit and you don't need to worry about paying a fortune to have the master socket moved. We had nuisance calls up until about a month ago but they rapidly diminish in number. Strangely, the last few received were numbers with just a few digits. Anyway it works. Just press #2 at any of your dect phones and the caller is added to the list of blocked numbers. You do need to pay a couple of pounds extra per month to the company providing your landline to get Caller Number Display. That is done with one phone call.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 10:17 AM BST

Sivitec Pure OFC HQ RF TV Aerial Coaxial Lead Gold Male Plug To Plug (2m)
Sivitec Pure OFC HQ RF TV Aerial Coaxial Lead Gold Male Plug To Plug (2m)
Offered by Sivitec_Direct
Price: 2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
It works OK and looks fine plus it was the cheapest.

Cortina's French Method (Twenty Lessons) Intended for Use in Schools, And for Selfstudy (Classic Reprint)
by Rafael Diez De La Cortina
Price: 8.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 25 April 2014
This is a newly published paperback version of a very very old book. I was expecting "French in 20 lessons" by D.W.Alden. This excellent book has "Cortina" in the title but is out of print and very hard to obtain secondhand. It's based on the original methodology outlined in the book I ended up with. I didn't send this back but would advise caution before ordering. It is a pity that no new edition of Alden's textbook has been produced because i now have a copy printed in 1969 and it is very useful.

Crucial CT240M500SSD1 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Crucial CT240M500SSD1 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Price: 77.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble free installation, 25 April 2014
The SSD drive was instantly recognised and there were no OS installation problems. The Crucial is slightly thinner than the previous drive but a spacer is included for use in the caddy. The laptop now runs much faster.

JNT's (Diameter: 80mm) earpads for most professional over ear earphone
JNT's (Diameter: 80mm) earpads for most professional over ear earphone
Offered by jntworld
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD320, 25 April 2014
The headphones are over 20 years old but I saw a review for a later model and decided it was worth trying. The main problem was carefully cleaning out the old foam which had changed to a thick graphite like powder. Also the Sennheiser's ear pieces are slightly oval but after carefully working the foam inserts into the outer clip-on covers these are once again comfortable to wear.

Conductive Adhesive Glue Wire 9ml
Conductive Adhesive Glue Wire 9ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved a motherboard, 19 April 2014
I used it to attach two replacement radial capacitors on a motherboard. Getting the old ones out and clearing the holes was tricky and I’ve had no luck using a soldering iron so decided to try this stuff. Firstly, it is runny so I should have left a small quantity to thicken up first. That would probably take a couple of hours. It’s water soluble though. I agree with an earlier reviewer that it is not really sticky.

I pushed the wires through the board and used a cocktail stick to cover the protruding ends. It took a few hours before it set. I then made sure there were no traces of wireglue shorting the terminals of the capacitors by scraping the motherboard lightly with a mini screwdriver. Following the tip about using an epoxy glue over the wireglue to give strength to the connection I tried small blobs of clear adhesive. A couple of hours later I reinstalled the motherboard and everything worked.

Prescription Swimming Goggles for Correcting Short-sightedness
Prescription Swimming Goggles for Correcting Short-sightedness
Offered by goggleyed
Price: 19.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Best optical goggles so far, 24 Feb 2014
I've worn optical goggles for years but these were the first of this brand I've ordered. After a couple of months use I can confirm that they are very good. Ordering was not a problem though I was worried about contacting them about my prescription. There were no problems and they are comfortable and functional. I like the little bag they come with but wish it was a little larger because so would fit in more easily. Great value for money.

Hoover SteamJet Handy SSNH1300 Hand Held Steam Cleaner with Continuous Fill Tank
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best currently available, 3 Dec 2013
I did the research and bought this. Those long handled models that multi task for floor and carpet too don't look good for the hand held jobs. I'm also dubious that blasting a carpet with steam is the best approach. Laminate flooring can be very expensive to put at risk too. The wife says the Hoover has a strong steam output. It is very good for cleaning out the waste disposal, round toilet seat fittings, plug holes, taps and tiles. It's able to rest on it's end like an iron when not in use. The long flex is brilliant for bathrooms where there should be no electric sockets. Watch out for the price as some retailers ask for silly money. I bought a factory refurb that was like new - maybe better because you know it has been fully tested.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 3:04 PM BST

CiT 3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA and IDE HDD Enclosure
CiT 3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA and IDE HDD Enclosure
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value hard drive enclosure, 23 Nov 2013
Having replaced my hard drive which was failing to boot Windows I decided to put the old one in an enclosure. This CiT model was my selection.

Take time putting in the hard drive and be careful. It's not quite as easy as it appears. There are just six screws which look the same. They are not, so locate the two self tappers which screw into the plastic housing where the external cables plug in. The other four are used to fix the hard drive more securely inside the enclosure.

The internal carrier for the hard drive slides out and it is easy to loose track of which way it goes back into the outer case. Also, there is a small wire which runs along the side of the inner "cassette". If that gets trapped and damaged while sliding the inner section into the case you could have a big problem.

When its standing on its side with CiT appearing at the top, the power lead from the transformer should plug in at the top rear of the unit. I had trouble getting the inner section back correctly and could see that thin wire as being vulnerable.

It looks good,works well and the price is great. Be careful not to damage any wires or cables (some are a tight fit inside) and I'm sure you will be impressed with this unit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5