Profile for Chris Miller > Reviews

Chris Miller

Sitting Buddha: Zen Meditation for Everyone
Sitting Buddha: Zen Meditation for Everyone
by Daishin Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Daishin Morgan is an excellent writer and a brilliant yet modest teacher, 8 Sept. 2014
Over the years, there have been many excellent books written on Buddhist practice and theory generally, and on Zen in particular. So many indeed that it's impossible to say which is 'the best'. But this gem comes close. As another reviewer rightly said, it's simple on one level, but on repeated readings opens up and goes deep, especially if you yourself are a daily meditator: His writing hits your own experiential spot brilliantly.
Daishin Morgan is a superbly gifted writer. But not only that, he's a profoundly intelligent, economical, dryly witty and extremely 'human' speaker and teacher. (Check out his talks on Throstle Hole Abbey's homepage. They are wonderful).
My only regret is that I never went up to Throstle Hole to hear him talk in person while he was there. I know that he has taken a long but temporary leave from the abbey and has expressed his intention to return. Let's hope he does. But if he doesn't, let's hope he continues teaching and writing in some capacity. Great teachers are rare and it would be a crying shame if we were all to be deprived of this brilliant yet modest one.

Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirror
Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirror

5.0 out of 5 stars My most-played CD, 16 April 2014
I have listened to this so many times that, by rights, I should have tired of it by now. But I haven't. This music is as close to magic as any sounds can be. It sounds deeply old and familiar (and so comforting) but ever fresh and surprising - all at the same time.

Inside Reading: Level 3: Student Book
Inside Reading: Level 3: Student Book
by Bruce Rubin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great source for academic vocabulary and academic reading practice, 26 Feb. 2014
I'm an English teacher who's been working, for the last fifteen years, with Chinese students bound for UK universities. I never could find a book to satisfy both me and the tastes and needs of my students. This led me to spend hours designing my own material which targeted key academic-level lexis. This book series is a massive labour-saving device. I use it as a basic core for English for Academic Purposes, from which I can easily plan speaking and writing activities (based on the text topics and the vocabulary).

Collected Ghost Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
Collected Ghost Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
by M. R. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, compact and atmospheric stories for bedtime, 26 Feb. 2014
Wonderful bedtime reading. Each short story is nicely short, but rich in atmosphere and early twentieth century rural English feel. Trouble is, they're all read too soon.

Mountain Home: The Wilderness Poetry of Ancient China
Mountain Home: The Wilderness Poetry of Ancient China
by Li Po

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient, fresh and natural, 18 Oct. 2011
I love this old Chinese poetry for its simplicity and naturalness, but also for its un-pin-downable mystery; and English translations of it don't come more simple, natural and mysterious than David Hinton's: Pure enjoyment.