Profile for Prudence > Reviews

Content by Prudence

Prudence

Arras: The spring 1917 offensive in panoramas including Vimy Ridge and Bullecourt
by Peter Barton

5.0 out of 5 stars Arras, covered as never before., 15 Nov. 2010
I very rarely feel the urge to write reviews for the books I read, I normally leave it for others to articulate their views, but however this new work by Peter Barton and Jeremy Banning is so good that I just couldn't resist making my opinions known.
Quite simply, this book is by far the finest study of the Battle of Arras to-date. The intensive research and preparation required to produce such an in-depth volume shines through in the sheer quality of the text, the outstanding maps and stunning images used, a great deal of which I have never seen before.
Unlike other books on the subject, this book also covers the early engagements between the French and Germans in 1914/15, before moving on to the British involvement when they took over responsibility for the sector. Included are the preparations for the offensive before chapters covering each stage of the battle itself, starting on the 9/4/17 up to mid May when the offensive was effectively closed down.
As with the authors previous works, this book is very difficult down and will be an indispensable guide for anyone interested in this battle.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 11:11 PM GMT

Tommy's Ark: Soldiers and Their Animals in the Great War
Tommy's Ark: Soldiers and Their Animals in the Great War
by Richard Van Emden

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy's Ark, a totally absorbing read., 11 Nov. 2010
This latest offering from Richard Van Emden is a collection of highly readable accounts relating to the natural world and its relationship to the soldiers of the Great War.
Containing thoroughly entertaining stories, from the really heart warming tales of man's love of animals, to others that made me squirm in horror, I found this book very difficult to put down.
When we read about animals in the Great War, we normally assume that it will relate to either Horses, Mules, Dogs or the occasional Carrier Pigeon, however this book is so much more than this, there are also numerous tales of other species, such as Fish, Cats, Rodents, Maggots, Lice, and even Worms! in all some 61 species are covered.
As the author suggests in his introduction, this book is not just about nature on the Western Front studied in isolation, it is about the human condition in war, explored through the soldiers relationship with the natural world around them.
This work also contains some really superb images, most of which I believe have never been previously published.
All in all, I think this yet another winner from Mr Van Emden, and I thank him for covering a rarely touched subject.
Highly recommended.